AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Isolation, Tips & Tweaks (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Turntable isolation (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=29733)

jameslrock 01-05-2015 10:56 AM

Turntable isolation

I am enjoying the vintage turntables now that they are back from being refurbished. The issue I am having is a rumble caused from walking in the room. Need suggestions for a low cost approach to providing vibration isolation that can be placed under each turntable. The plinth base of the B&O 4002 is about 19"W x 14"D and the base of the PE3060 is about 16"W x 14"D. Each has four feet in each of the corners. Thanks.

dtmarc 01-05-2015 11:34 AM

Hello,
the best insulation for a turntable is the wall bracket.

audio bill 01-05-2015 12:02 PM

I have to agree with dtmarc. In applications where floor movement is causing audible performance issues with analog playback, a wall mounted turntable shelf is the best and least costly solution. You can experiment with other isolation feet and devices, but short of very expensive isolation platforms most such products will not resolve the problem.

jameslrock 01-05-2015 12:31 PM

I agree but the wall mount is not an option due to a number of reasons with location and access being the main factors. I am thinking some type of reasonably inexpensive isolation platform to be placed on the top shelf of the stand?

Mike82ARP 01-05-2015 12:37 PM

A real low cost isolation method is a bicycle tire tube, about 17-18” diameter. Inflate it partially so is only about half full. Place it under the platform supporting the t-t. You may have to adjust it a bit to level the table. A higher priced option wold be the Ginko Cloud which used complaint rubber balls to isolate from floor bounce.

crwilli 01-05-2015 12:44 PM

Wouldn't mass help as well? How about adding serious weight to the rack below the TT?

thomasagase 01-05-2015 02:04 PM

Years ago ( don't laugh to hard )
I used hand balls and fancy napkin rings .... worked pretty well
Before that, In High school days, I had my turntable suspended from the ceiling with fishing string, just a fraction of an inch above my rack, so it appeared to be sitting on top. ( did it mostly because I listened to it so loud, it would hum horrifically or skip )
A bit nutty. Worked excellent, but had to have a velvet touch changing LPs

:haa::

Meloski 02-20-2016 09:51 PM

i've had much success with a 1" thick maple cutting board and two racquet balls cut in half.

1KW 02-21-2016 10:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have mine mounted on the wall.

AudioGremlin 02-21-2016 12:51 PM

Probably a bit extreme. Supported by steel pipes that go through the floor into large builders buckets filled with cement. All the steel pipes are filled with dry sand.
Excellent isolation when the Infinity bass towers are plumbing the depths ☺

audioguy3107 02-21-2016 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameslrock (Post 664822)
I am enjoying the vintage turntables now that they are back from being refurbished. The issue I am having is a rumble caused from walking in the room. Need suggestions for a low cost approach to providing vibration isolation that can be placed under each turntable. The plinth base of the B&O 4002 is about 19"W x 14"D and the base of the PE3060 is about 16"W x 14"D. Each has four feet in each of the corners. Thanks.

If you're looking at a low cost approach, I would probably go with a maple cutting board at least 2 inches thick with some type of isolation/vibration footers between it and the rack. Many people have had excellent results with Boos cutting boards available online or at Williams Sonoma or Sur La Table. Opinions seem to differ as to what to use for footers....I've read great results with squishy rubber feet as well as brass cones and more solid solutions. I'm considering trying out one of the Symposium ISO platforms for my table.

- Buck

PMCH 02-21-2016 03:24 PM

My Symposium Segue ISO platform under my TT helps a lot with footfalls. It is on isolating springs. It makes my TT sound better even if I am not walking around also. As a bonus it is not too expensive.

PHC1 02-21-2016 03:31 PM

I liked the Ginko Cloud for my TT's. :yes:

So Which Cloud™ Is Right For You? – Gingko Audio

BlueDoor 02-22-2016 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMCH (Post 761627)
My Symposium Segue ISO platform under my TT helps a lot with footfalls. It is on isolating springs. It makes my TT sound better even if I am not walking around also. As a bonus it is not too expensive.

Also have a SEGUE ISO MD and supported the TT with 3 stacks of 2 precision couplers attached.
Works great.

audioguy3107 02-22-2016 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDoor (Post 761811)
Also have a SEGUE ISO MD and supported the TT with 3 stacks of 2 precision couplers attached.
Works great.

Did you notice a big difference in the sound quality before/after.....regardless of footfall issues etc.??

- Buck

McPlanar 02-24-2016 02:59 PM

This platform was 4" thick and I still had to walk around like I was on wet rice paper.
https://gargoyle.smugmug.com/Music/M...O/DSCN0601.jpg

Not until I went wall mounted was I able to walk normally.
https://gargoyle.smugmug.com/Music/M...1000238-X3.jpg

GaryProtein 02-24-2016 10:57 PM

If you are serious about turntable isolation, HERZAN is your answer.

The TS series is what you want. The TS-140, TS-150 or TS-300 are your best options.

You can google them.

NOTHING beats ACTIVE isolation. STILLPOINTS IS A JOKE not in the same class.

Be prepared to spend $10,000-$14,000.

lostinla 02-24-2016 11:13 PM

Minus K isolation is the ultimate I've heard (or not heard).

ngc4900 02-25-2016 11:26 AM

I like my Gingko cloud.

Audio 1 02-25-2016 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 761629)
I liked the Ginko Cloud for my TT's. :yes:

So Which Cloud™ Is Right For You? – Gingko Audio

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngc4900 (Post 762468)
I like my Gingko cloud.

I also find the Gingko Cloud to be very effective.

gadawg 11-13-2016 12:14 AM

My listening room is on the second floor and is carpeted but was having a very difficult time with the turntable and hum at higher volumes. Placed a flat solid brick under each foot of the stand and the problem was solved. Now I can listen to my vinyl as loud as I want! Very inexpensive but isn't the best looking solution for sure. With the lights down who cares though!

bigblue 11-13-2016 10:59 AM

I have a Brinkmann Bardo which is a "stiff" construction that has no dampening built into it. The solution for me was to go with a 32x45x3 cm stone (Nero Assoluto) and beneath it 4 dampening feet made from foam. The critical dampening weight for the 4 feet is 28 kg - and that happens to be the same as the combined weight of the stone slab + Bardo. If I place the stylus on the record and turn up the volume to normal level I get no feedback when knocking on the rack upon which the stone and turntable sits. Hope this could work for you as well.

BWLover 11-14-2016 09:58 PM

I use a piece of slate supported by Solid Tech Feet of Silence

The Lost Bears 11-14-2016 11:11 PM

I have a VPI turntable stand filled with sand. Sitting on top I have a 3 inch thick maple cutting board on stainless steel cones. The stand sits in the corner on the other side of the room from my speakers.

Antonmb 11-15-2016 01:32 AM

My table is on a Quadraspire wall shelf. With a suspended wood floor there's nothing like a wall mount.

advanced101 11-17-2016 01:29 PM

I'm on a second floor as well. My Avenger is on Stillpoints sitting on a DIY Stainless/ MDF/ PE Foam Platform. The Platform made a big difference. Eventually, I will get a Symposium Quantum. If I had the option, I would wall mount.

Another option I have seen is the Mcmaster-Carr Air bladders sitting between the stand and Maple Platforms. That looks like a good-cheap option. The bladders are around $60 each.

dcanlas 01-05-2017 10:26 PM

MT5/MT10 owners - looking for recommendation, what do you use to isolate your TT?

joshnich 02-23-2017 04:26 PM

A very effective and inexpensive turntable isolation solution is Pot Risers available on amazon. They are square rubber "feet" designed to keep planting pots elevated. They are made from recycled tires. They are in the garden section.