AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Martin Logan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Sonic difference in panel size (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38157)

gadawg 12-31-2016 02:14 AM

Sonic difference in panel size

Hi guys ... been listening to Ethos for a few months at home now that are eventually destined for a secondary system when new house gets finished in April(New dedicated audio room roughly 22X28 with 9 foot ceilings). I really like the Ethos but want to move up as I move the Ethos to their new home. My question is ... what am I getting as I move into the larger panel sizes that are now offered by the new Masterpiece series? Having zero luck being able to demo the units side by side in any kind of listenable environment so am going to need some help understanding what I might get with a move up. The things I would love to experience is a bit more focus while retaining all of the qualities the Ethos have. Maybe a bit more depth overall and lower midrange detail as well. I get the bass is much better detailed and dialed in especially with the bass kit. So ... While I could go for the Renaissance are they really going to give me more of what I'm looking for over the Expressions? For that matter are the Expressions going to deliver those same improvements over the Ethos? Not sure I can't arrange an in home demo either so really need some good input here from those of you who may have heard these already in good environments. Thanks in advance for any advise!

timm 01-17-2017 11:47 PM

Well. I have yet to hear the masterpiece series. However, have heard montis, summit, summit x, prodigy, odyssey, ascent, aeon.

I would think the diff between a separate demo of a renaissance and the rest would be quite noticeable. In other words, I think you would be able to tell quite a difference even in separate demos.

Mikado463 01-18-2017 12:04 PM

Given the size of your new room (volume) and depending on how you set up the 'listening space' I would think you need to consider a sub (or ideally two) to integrate as well.

if you can afford the Renaissance ........ go for it, everything I've read so far is :thumbsup:

MPS 01-25-2017 06:31 PM

About panel size etc.

Youtube: MartinLogan Neolith ESL Speaker Overview and Demo Results (Audioholics)

gadawg 01-30-2017 08:36 PM

Watched the video ... thanks for the link!

gadawg 02-12-2017 02:48 AM

Got a chance to audition the CLX Art and now I understand exactly what larger panels do! :-)

Mikado463 02-12-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadawg (Post 831827)
Got a chance to audition the CLX Art and now I understand exactly what larger panels do! :-)

given your room size the CLX with a couple of subs should prove sweet but remember it's panel is not as large as the Renaissance 15a. If it were me, that's the route I'd take and add a sub or two down the road if deemed necessary

Harlequin 02-12-2017 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 831886)
given your room size the CLX with a couple of subs should prove sweet but remember it's panel is not as large as the Renaissance 15a. If it were me, that's the route I'd take and add a sub or two down the road if deemed necessary

Reading elsewhere I understood it that gadawg has some expearieriance with the new hybrids.

Mikado463 02-12-2017 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harlequin (Post 831904)
Reading elsewhere I understood it that gadawg has some expearieriance with the new hybrids.

so have I .........

Harlequin 02-12-2017 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 831910)
so have I .........

Merely his opinion then.