AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Stillpoints (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Stillpoints Ultra SS Review (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=39287)

jdandy 05-06-2017 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophilehi (Post 845322)
Another great review Dan!! I always look forward to reading them!!!

Paul.......Thank you. Five hours of listening again this evening with Vintage Pete here visiting. The system sounds incredible.

jdandy 05-07-2017 06:24 PM

It's my fifth day with the Stillpoints Ultra SS under my pair of MC2301 power amplifiers. I am still discovering fresh sonic gems. The improvement in resolution has impacted the clarity and sound stage focus in such a way that allows deeper observation into recordings I have listened to many times. An example happened last night while listening to John Mayer's The Search for Everything, "Rosie". Several different times the harmony vocals exceeded the width of the room by a margin wide enough to make me involuntarily turn my head toward where the sound seemed to emanate and I found myself looking at the wall a distance in front of the speakers. On other recordings the dynamic speed and power of drums has gained greater impact. Bass, particularly acoustic bass, has taken on a whole new sense of realism since the Ultra SS went under the power amps. The elevation of clarity is startling. Before making this purchase I expressed a sense of suspicion to Ivan about the performance claims made by others and was assured I would hear a positive difference. Despite his reassurance I held on to my suspicions right up to the moment I played the first recording after installing the Stillpoints Ultra SS under the amps. After that it was more a matter of trying to contain my astonishment. I am sure there will come a time when I become accustomed to these improvements and forget about the Stillpoints specific contributions but right now I am still excited and amazed by what I am hearing.

https://www.audiodestination.co.uk/i...00-800x700.jpg

richardallred 05-07-2017 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 845733)
It's my fifth day with the Stillpoints Ultra SS under my pair of MC2301 power amplifiers. I am still discovering fresh sonic gems. The improvement in resolution has impacted the clarity and sound stage focus in such a way that allows deeper observation into recordings I have listened to many times. An example happened last night while listening to John Mayer's The Search for Everything, "Rosie". Several different times the harmony vocals exceeded the width of the room by a margin wide enough to make me involuntarily turn my head toward where the sound seemed to emanate and I found myself looking at the wall a distance in front of the speakers. On other recordings the dynamic speed and power of drums has gained greater impact. Bass, particularly acoustic bass, has taken on a whole new sense of realism since the Ultra SS went under the power amps. The elevation of clarity is startling. Before making this purchase I expressed a sense of suspicion to Ivan about the performance claims made by others and was assured I would hear a positive difference. Despite his reassurance I held on to my suspicions right up to the moment I played the first recording after installing the Stillpoints Ultra SS under the amps. After that it was more a matter of trying to contain my astonishment. I am sure there will come a time when I become accustomed to these improvements and forget about the Stillpoints specific contributions but right now I am still excited and amazed by what I am hearing.

https://www.audiodestination.co.uk/i...00-800x700.jpg

Crap, now on my list. Lol

Masterlu 05-07-2017 07:46 PM

Dan... now you know why I have them under all my Speakers and components in every system I own.

Richard... they are on sale now in the Marketplace.

MtnHam 05-08-2017 10:51 AM

Dan, actually you have only just begun the Stillpoint Journey! They are addictive, and you have yet to move further up the ladder to the Ultra 5's and 6's which will bring even more of what you are experiencing. I too have been on this path for some time, and now have 28 Ultra SS's, 24 Ultra 5's, and 8 Ultra 6's in my main system, and even more in my city system. It just keeps getting better!

jdandy 05-08-2017 11:07 AM

MtnHam.......Like I said in my review, they pop up like mushrooms. :p

audioextreme 05-11-2017 10:30 PM

these are beautiful. i might have to consider adding these on to my system!

Steady339 05-24-2017 02:21 PM

Dan, thanks for your review. As a Stillpoints user I am not surprised at your experience with Stillpoints. I love the new level of realism and listening enjoyment they have made in my system too.

jdandy 05-24-2017 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steady339 (Post 848302)
Dan, thanks for your review. As a Stillpoints user I am not surprised at your experience with Stillpoints. I love the new level of realism and listening enjoyment they have made in my system too.

Roger.......You're right, Stillpoints definitely elevate a sound system's performance. Just last night I was listening to the studio system. Playing Keiko Matsui - The Ring album had me turning my head several times to identify the source of sounds that seemed to arrive well outside the speakers physical locations. In several instances there were unusual percussion instrument sounds that seemed to emanate in a space that was halfway between the speaker locations and my spot on the couch, just out there in mid air. This type of ultra focus of the sound stage only became a reality after the Stillpoints Ultra SS were installed under the MC2301 amplifiers. Nearly every time I listen to the studio system these days I find myself astonished about something new I am hearing that had eluded me in the past. Stillpoint Ultra SS under the power amps produce a remarkable improvement to the focus of the sound field. There is no way I would ever return to the stock feet on my power amps.

Steady339 05-25-2017 04:12 PM

Dan, IMHO Stillpoints are a must have for audiophiles--Stillpoints allow audio components to perform at their potential!