AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Revel Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Revel Speaker Forum! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=34131)

Masterlu 12-24-2015 01:24 AM

Revel Speaker Forum!

Our New Revel Speaker Forum is Open!

http://www.easysource.us/images/prod...neon%2095n.jpg

all2ears 12-24-2015 01:06 PM

YIPPIE ...... The Revel Salon 2 ..... for those who believe size does matter

PlanarSpeakerFan 12-24-2015 04:47 PM

My friend and I did a head-to-head comparison of Revel's Studio 2 and F208 the other day at a local audio store. Both speakers were compared in an identical setup on an all Mark Levinson and MIT cabled system. We both preferred the F208 (a much newer model I might add) over the Studio 2 by a considerable margin. The F208 sounded more musical and had a smoother and more cohesive midrange and treble. The Studio 2 were a little more transparent and had a little tighter bass but their treble presentation was bright and their beryllium tweeter was not at all seamless with their midrange (even with the tweeter on maximum attenuation) compared to the F208's tweeter and midrange. I was really surprised by how great a speaker the F208's are and also by how far the Studio 2's performance was below the Salon 2's (not even in the ballpark).

Ken

Steady339 12-24-2015 07:18 PM

I was wondering, what is the correct pronunciation of "Revel"?

A local hi-fi shop salesperson was pronouncing Revel like Reveal, but I know the revel in the dictionary is pronounced like rebel but with a "v".

Roger

Kal Rubinson 12-24-2015 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steady339 (Post 749000)
I was wondering, what is the correct pronunciation of "Revel"?

A local hi-fi shop salesperson was pronouncing Revel like Reveal, but I know the revel in the dictionary is pronounced like rebel but with a "v".

Roger

Strange. It ain't spelled Reveal and everyone at Revel that I have spoken with does not say it as if it was.

Pio 01-09-2016 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan (Post 748944)
My friend and I did a head-to-head comparison of Revel's Studio 2 and F208 the other day at a local audio store. Both speakers were compared in an identical setup on an all Mark Levinson and MIT cabled system. We both preferred the F208 (a much newer model I might add) over the Studio 2 by a considerable margin. The F208 sounded more musical and had a smoother and more cohesive midrange and treble. The Studio 2 were a little more transparent and had a little tighter bass but their treble presentation was bright and their beryllium tweeter was not at all seamless with their midrange (even with the tweeter on maximum attenuation) compared to the F208's tweeter and midrange. I was really surprised by how great a speaker the F208's are and also by how far the Studio 2's performance was below the Salon 2's (not even in the ballpark).

Ken

I spent a lot of time with the Salon 2's and the F208 yesterday. I was floored by how much speaker the 208 is. Might be the best bargain in hi end speakers. Not surprised they perform so well in double blind tests. Bravo to Revel for keeping the cost down and within reach of most.

stev809 03-24-2018 11:37 AM

The f208 is a really musical speaker that I auditioned with an Anthem 225I driving it and it sounded so good I bought the Anthem to drive my Revel's at home! It would be fun to spend some time with the f208 to see if they deliver over the long term. Sometimes it's those speakers that make me work for it that end up being the most rewarding. 25 years with my R105\3....

Karl Maga 03-24-2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve59 (Post 907841)
The f208 is a really musical speaker that I auditioned with an Anthem 225I driving it and it sounded so good I bought the Anthem to drive my Revel's at home! It would be fun to spend some time with the f208 to see if they deliver over the long term. Sometimes it's those speakers that make me work for it that end up being the most rewarding. 25 years with my R105\3....

Steve, maybe start a new thread for the f208? I've heard good things from dealers and customers. I'm considering them for rear surrounds, though I'm more likely to go with Gem2's for all surrounds so I can mount them on the walls. I'll give up a little compared to the Studio2's, but having them on the wall when my grandkids are here is not a bad thing.

stev809 07-11-2018 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan (Post 748944)

Ken

I gotta say sometimes the room favors 1 speaker over another and a live sounding room will make a big contribution

Rex Anderson 07-11-2018 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pio (Post 752057)
I spent a lot of time with the Salon 2's and the F208 yesterday. I was floored by how much speaker the 208 is. Might be the best bargain in hi end speakers. Not surprised they perform so well in double blind tests. Bravo to Revel for keeping the cost down and within reach of most.

I spent almost half of my life (34 years) working as a recording and live sound engineer. Guess what speakers I use now? F208's. Unbelievable price/quality ratio.

I worked for a Revel dealer for a while and listened to the Studio2's a lot. They are a step up in many areas, but you have to spend time (extended listening sessions) to hear the differences.

A plus is, I drive my F208's with a Bryston 3B SST2 and it's plenty of power to hit levels beyond my threshold of pain. Big amps not required.