AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Denon (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Denon DVD-A1UDCI Universal Blu-ray Player (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=2044)

klipschfan 09-01-2009 04:33 PM

Denon DVD-A1UDCI Universal Blu-ray Player

http://www.hometheatermag.com/images...009denon.1.jpg

Home Theater: Denon DVD-A1UDCI Universal Blu-ray Player

Still-One 09-01-2009 06:10 PM

There is also an excellent review in the October issue of Hi Fi News. They are very positive about the unit and its ability to play every audio source. (Except the dead HD-DVD). At this point the state it leads a class of one.

JSCC 09-06-2009 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillone (Post 35731)
There is also an excellent review in the October issue of Hi Fi News. They are very positive about the unit and its ability to play every audio source. (Except the dead HD-DVD). At this point the state it leads a class of one.

Hmmm, I wonder if this is the model McIntosh up and coming new Bluray/Universal player (MVP881 ..?) is based on ..... :scratch2:

1KW 09-07-2009 08:50 AM

I have to say even my $300 Sony Blu ray has a great picture with HDMI to my MX120 to my projector. I am using a fiberoptic cable for the audio out from my Blu ray to the MX120. The Sony has 7 analog outs on it so I can use the codecs but I have not felt it necessary yet for watching movies. I have the fiberoptic on the Sony labled as DVD on the MX120 and CD for when I am listening to music . In music mode the sony Blu ray is functioning as just a transport and the D/A converter in the M120 does the rest. Other then playing SACD's can someone explain why a more expensive Blu ray player is better if I am using the MX120 to do my D/A conversion for audio and Blu ray input for video ?

thughes 09-07-2009 02:06 PM

Your 120 cannot decode the best audio codecs available on blu-ray. Your Sony on the analogs is not going to get the most out the quality that is there.

Since you bought the 120 rather than waiting for the 150, you will have to upgrade the blu-ray player to one that decodes the quality the rest of your system merits and sends the signal out analog.

mike175gr 09-08-2009 03:09 AM

Just like thughes writes, just use the analog out puts from your blu-ray player into your MX-120 (and then select "external" for the input) and you will have the player do the decoding and then you will be able to take advantage of the latest co-decs. That is what I do and it works great.

thughes 09-08-2009 07:36 AM

True -- he will get that new codecs, but that wasn't his original question. Why does he need to consider something like the new Denon or the upcoming 881?

He needs to consider them because of the quality of their dacs compared to the $300 Sony. The Denon review says it sets a new standard in audio performance. Here or on the other forum Ron-C hinted that the 881 dacs might approach the quality of the 500 dacs, only multi-channel.

Multi-channel SACD through the Denon or Mc dacs is another reason to upgrade the Blu-ray player when the time comes.

As it is, he has many thousands of dollars in high end equipment limited to the dacs in a $300 Sony.

1KW 09-08-2009 02:10 PM

Right now I am using the codecs built in to the MX120 via fiberoptic input from the blu ray and cable box and I have to say, I do not feel like I am exactly lacking here as we are talking about movies mostly and TV that I am using this room for. I will get around to trying the analog out of the blu ray player once I get some balanced cables to replace the RCA's going to the amp. from my pre amp ie I will move the RCA's over to the blu ray player. I am curious about the reviews of the MVP881 when it comes out as I am sure it will also be fabulous for SACD and CD playback. Does anyone know if he MVP881 will have a DAC input like the MCD500 ?

thughes 09-08-2009 08:30 PM

I believe Ron C said on one of the forums that the dacs are similar to the 500.

thughes 09-08-2009 08:36 PM

Just be aware that through the toslink or coax you are getting the lossy codecs.

Some of the finest recording studios in the world create motion picture soundtracks. Few, if any, movie theaters could reproduce the sound that could be there.

Today, movie soundtracks are remixed for home release. I think even casual listening will allow you pick out the differences in the lossy codecs and DTS-HD Master and Dolby True HD.

However, I do believe it's worth waiting for reviews of the 881 before jumping right now. That's what I'm doing.