AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   PS Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   PS Audio Stellar M700 monoblock review Stereophile (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41984)

PHC1 01-24-2018 12:41 AM

PS Audio Stellar M700 monoblock review Stereophile

Seems like a nice set of Class D monoblocks at $2998/pair

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...ower-amplifier

For The Love of Music 01-24-2018 10:51 AM

PS Audio Stellar M700 monoblock review Stereophile

The Stereophile reviews the M700’s and makes the comparison of sounding close against a $12K pair of Monos from the $3K Stellar - I get the controversy with magazine reviews but between Dans recent DAC review and this, I think I will take a retreat for a bit from any reading so I don’t get sick when I think about what I just spent last year and already this year.

PHC1 01-24-2018 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by For The Love of Music (Post 894847)
The Stereophile reviews the M700’s and makes the comparison of sounding close against a $12K pair of Monos from the $3K Stellar - I get the controversy with magazine reviews but between Dans recent DAC review and this, I think I will take a retreat for a bit from any reading so I don’t get sick when I think about what I just spent last year and already this year.

The steep diminishing returns in audio have always been in place. Some don't mind or don't care about paying the extra for their audio dream piece, some are perfectly happy with a modest system and some get obsessed and lose control. The latter is obviously a bad place to be. The former two, well, somewhere in there is a perfect balance for all of us. :D

mulveling 01-25-2018 04:22 AM

I don't read too much into that stuff. It's a hills-old reviewing hack to compare an affordable piece to a mega-buck standard as "so very close!". And then the next mega-buck piece they review will likely get "best I've ever heard!", and "so good I bought it!" accolades.

I too spent a ton on several major upgrades this past year, and with VERY few exceptions they've each represented a MAJOR step forward in my audio satisfaction. If you don't experience the same, then you're upgrading wrong; sell/return what you can and try again! And I generally avoid upgrading DACs (all the $'s for analog) because diminishing returns on that one component is ungodly frustrating, lol.

If you have Momentums, then I wouldn't worry at all about much :)

doggiehowser 01-25-2018 09:25 AM

The Stellar is an odd collection.

The Stellar DAC/Pre isn't even in the same ballpark. The Stereo 300s are pretty decent but the M700s are simply superb.

If I didn't need analog inputs, I'd suggest a DS Jr paired with the M700s.

oneartist 01-30-2018 04:29 PM

I have PSA DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II as a pre for my M700's with an inline high pass filter of 50hz for Magnepan 3.6 speakers. GR Research W/Frame OB subs fill in the bottom. My Maggies came to life with these amps. The sound is effortless and pristine. Strings and cellos even have rich textures that are hard to reproduce. Big Maggies need power and this the perfect match.

PHC1 01-30-2018 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneartist (Post 896226)
I have PSA DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II as a pre for my M700's with an inline high pass filter of 50hz for Magnepan 3.6 speakers. GR Research W/Frame OB subs fill in the bottom. My Maggies came to life with these amps. The sound is effortless and pristine. Strings and cellos even have rich textures that are hard to reproduce. Big Maggies need power and this the perfect match.

Welcome to AA Oneartist! Thanks for the feedback, the M700's sound like a great bang for the buck!

Masterlu 01-31-2018 12:16 AM

oneartist... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Yukster 03-18-2018 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 895005)
The steep diminishing returns in audio have always been in place. Some don't mind or don't care about paying the extra for their audio dream piece, some are perfectly happy with a modest system and some get obsessed and lose control. The latter is obviously a bad place to be. The former two, well, somewhere in there is a perfect balance for all of us. :D

I agree completely. I get very jealous looking at some of the systems specs that people own on this forum. But then i listen to my system which is modest by comparison and realise that it sounds pretty damn good. I think the secret is to set up a system that gives pleasure form listening to music, a system that is good enough. One can always spend more...