AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   JL Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   CR-1 and two f-113 set up (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=36864)

minnie55 08-24-2016 09:18 PM

CR-1 and two f-113 set up

The set up question. I have a cr-1 and two fathom f-113 subs. I am using rca cables. What is the best way to get started on this set up? Do I defete the controls on the sub, do I still use the roa system on the f-113s? Seems to me the master/slave switch should both be set to master and one rca run to each sub. From there I am in need of some suggestions

jrsystems 08-25-2016 08:23 AM

Good question, master/slave versus straight stereo master/master set up. Is the master/slave configuration primarily related to linking the room correction? What does it say in the CR1 manual?

You will want to max the crossover settings on the subs, the CR1 will now handle that. The phase setting on the sub remains critical as does the room placement. I highly recommend getting Barry the Soundoctor's test disc and carefully read his set up instructions. You may want to give him a call at JL as well, but I suggest you first familiarize yourself with his instructions.

minnie55 08-25-2016 06:13 PM

I did order the disc. Seems like master/master and eliminate the controls on the sub and just use the cr-1.

jbaudio68 08-25-2016 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minnie55 (Post 799924)
I did order the disc. Seems like master/master and eliminate the controls on the sub and just use the cr-1.

I have the CR-1 and (2) f112 subs. Mine are set up this way. I read Barry's papers and the manual 3-4 times but when I got it right it was worth the effort.

Weirdcuba 08-25-2016 09:30 PM

Perhaps a separate thread, but I have the cr-1s and feel no need for a sub. Appreciate comments on drivers for the sub decision.

jameslrock 08-25-2016 09:32 PM

Barry lives about 40 minutes from my house so he came to my house to integrate my two F113's with my system. It makes for a fun and interesting day. He is one of the best guys and a master at setting up the speakers and subs. If you have the chance I suggest you call and invite him over. There is a small fee charge and will take a good lunch you both will enjoy but well worth the day. Barry is delightful. You will be totally secure when he is finished.

jbaudio68 08-25-2016 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 799950)
Perhaps a separate thread, but I have the cr-1s and feel no need for a sub. Appreciate comments on drivers for the sub decision.

weird Cuba we are talking about the JL Audio CR-1 active x-over;) I'm sure your TADs do not require a sub;)

Weirdcuba 08-25-2016 10:05 PM

Whew. I was thinking - I must be missing something, cause I thought these things sounded great!

jrsystems 08-26-2016 05:38 PM

Yup, that sounds like the way to go on the JL CR1 settings. Barry is The Man!

Cuba, your TADs are one of the best speakers I have ever heard (and I've heard and owned some great speakers). The bass is amazing for their size. I do wonder what a properly set up JL CR1 and f113 pair would add. That could be a true giant killer. I've had the great pleasure of meeting Andrew Jones a couple of times. I was humbled in the presence of greatness.

minnie55 08-26-2016 07:06 PM

The disc came today. Going to try and get a little time in the next few days to work with everything. Also have a dvx 14/10 to use, its helpful to see whats going on in the room