AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Pass Labs (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Pass Labs XA-100.8 Review (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=29586)

raidho 03-30-2015 02:47 PM

Hi,

the Solid Tech Rack is too nice -> Hybrid.

New pre? a great Audio Research REF5se!!!

You dont agree?

Art Vandelay 07-25-2015 11:28 PM

Heard a pair of the XA160.8's in a friend's system and was very impressed.

He's driving Revel Ultima Salons and front end is a Bricasti M1 with a Gryphon Pandora pre.

The system sounded positively glorious and the step up from the XA100.5's was very substantial, particularly at frequency extremes. Bass is definitely on the warm side of neutral but there's better control and transient impact compared with the old model.

I don't think you need a tube pre with these amps because they're so inherently tube-like as it is.

bds 07-30-2015 04:29 AM

[QUOTE =
I don't think you need a tube pre with these amps because they're so inherently tube-like as it is.[/QUOTE]

Hi,

I had a ARC REF5se for 2 months.....sell and back with a Great XP20 Pass!!!

What I like? a tube cd player. Ayon -> cd player CD3SX or DAC Strastos with transport.

ALFA 08-09-2015 09:37 PM

Hi Raidho
I like your rig.
I too have Sasha and Pass Labs Xa 30.5. Upgrading to Xa 100.8.
No preamp though. I am running MSB analog DAC direct to amp.

raidho 08-10-2015 06:27 PM

Hi Alfa,

Pass XA100.8 are great.

I have too a Ayon Stratos Dac/pre now (too direct too the amp).
I love the hot sound from ayon gears!

The pre i think go out in the next time.....

ALFA 08-10-2015 07:00 PM

I'm glad you confirm DAC to power amp is better than preamp.
and i like your rack

I use Transparent ref cable throughout.
Symposium Roller Blocks for isolation.
regards

bds 08-11-2015 05:32 AM

well the preampli have a sense in a chain but the evolution from the Dac today is a very important point.

the dac with a VERY preampli part inside dont are soo much!

You have a Msb analog Dac with volume control, extra power base and what for "door"? (usb/spdif/coax...)

I use cd player or only with "computer"? -> you need a extra soft (Audirvana, Amarra,...) and a PC/Mac always at work.....this is a reason for dont buy a MSB (my side)

Sasha is the version 2 too?

I have a pre/dac Ayon Stratos with a NW-T. (a great combo) ihmo

cabling: Transparent Audio is good (well inside the Wilson too) but I have a brand called Esprit and work very very good with the Wilson. (Esprit Lumina)

for the power cord I use shunyata and another "big" cabel -> for the pre/dac and the source the power cord is very important . more as the power ampli... -> EX.: for pre/dac & source $ 1000, for the ampil $ 600

your are in Usa?

thank you

cma29 08-11-2015 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cma29 (Post 662002)
Here is an interesting quote from the review:

I wonder if my sample 100.8s were going through this break-in process and thus I was never able to integrate them with my system. After a week, I gave up and put them in their boxes waiting for the UPS guy to pick them up.

Maybe I should have waited longer or maybe I should get a used pair with a lot of hours on them... :scratch2:

Ultimately, Scott gave them a resounding thumbs up. I wish I had achieved his sonic results more quickly before I had to return my pair.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay (Post 715952)
Heard a pair of the XA160.8's in a friend's system and was very impressed.

He's driving Revel Ultima Salons and front end is a Bricasti M1 with a Gryphon Pandora pre.

The system sounded positively glorious and the step up from the XA100.5's was very substantial, particularly at frequency extremes. Bass is definitely on the warm side of neutral but there's better control and transient impact compared with the old model.

I don't think you need a tube pre with these amps because they're so inherently tube-like as it is.

I had a different experience.

For me the XA100.8 were a big step back from the performance offered by the XA100.5s. :scratch2:

ALFA 08-11-2015 05:15 PM

Hi Carlos
Please elaborate as i have just put in my order for Xa100.8
and i could still change the order to the Xa100.5

cma29 08-11-2015 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALFA (Post 719541)
Hi Carlos Please elaborate as i have just put in my order for Xa100.8 and i could still change the order to the Xa100.5

You should try them in your system to see what you think. For me the higher frequencies sounded dull.

You can read the thread I posted under the Pass Labs section. I think the title was "New Pass Labs XA100.8 amps incoming"