AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Classe' Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Classe’ being acquired by Sound United (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41787)

Mikado463 01-09-2018 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicoff (Post 891700)
Link does not work?? [emoji848]

works fine for me ........

Kal Rubinson 01-09-2018 10:40 PM

I just clicked on it in my post and in your reply: Both worked.

Go to the stereophile web page. About 1-2 notices from the top.

Formerly YB-2 01-10-2018 09:31 AM

Too bad they could not retain production in Canada and move Marantz & Denon to Montreal rather than Classe' to Japan. At least production hasn't moved to China (yet). My experience with modern Marantz, an SA-8004, has been very good.

W9TR 01-10-2018 04:56 PM

Glenn - I'm wondering where you got this info? Reason I ask is I haven't seen any public statements to this effect. Looks like Sound United is hiring back Classe' staff.

I don't think Sound United (ex D&M Holdings) are the bad guys here. They have a long history of doing a good job managing consumer brands.

I think this is great news for Classe' and their customers.

Let's not forget that B&W kicked Classe' to the curb in October 2017 without an exit strategy, actually without any reasonable plan at all, leaving current customers holding the bag. That I'll remember for sure.

Tom

Msegal 01-10-2018 06:38 PM

As a prior Classé 25 owner and an expat Canadian I have always had a spot for their products on my short list.
Their most recent amplification offerings have left me rather cold however. I found they lacked the overbuilt quality I have come to expect from them in the past.
I am not saying they don’t sound good or that they are unreliable or any other negative attributions. They just don’t move me like they used to.
Given their abandonment by Bowers and Wilkins etc. I get the he feeling I am not the only one.
I hope Classé resets and finds those qualities which made them as desirable as ML and Krell were in their heyday.

Kal Rubinson 01-10-2018 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 891752)
Too bad they could not retain production in Canada and move Marantz & Denon to Montreal rather than Classe' to Japan.

That might appeal to you but it would be suicide for D+M.

2fastdriving 01-10-2018 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 891752)
Too bad they could not retain production in Canada and move Marantz & Denon to Montreal rather than Classe' to Japan. At least production hasn't moved to China (yet). My experience with modern Marantz, an SA-8004, has been very good.

Japan has a great reputation for build quality with brands like accuphase and esoteric. I wouldn't dismiss the move as one where quality suffers. Maybe it will improve!

Formerly YB-2 01-11-2018 04:19 PM

Not just Accuphase & Esoteric. Shindo, Air-Tight, Lyra, TAD and any number of other boutique & main-stream brands are made in Japan. Have even heard that the Chinese owners of Luxman have moved their production back to Japan. The 'good stuff' from Japan is as good as the 'good stuff' from anywhere in the world. Very high quality gear.

While I "wish" that North American brands would/could remain in NA, in many instances the 'new world order' of manufacturing will not allow for same for any number of reasons. Japan is much like us. The high volume suppliers (Sony, etc.) have moved out. Globalization is a problem that future generations will have to deal with. In the mean time, we'll enjoy our gear regardless of the country of origin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 891848)
Glenn - I'm wondering where you got this info?
Tom

It was what was in the link above.
Am guessing the staff that gets hired back is only the sales & marketing staff and perhaps some of the office & inventory/shipping folks.

Mike-48 01-11-2018 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl Maga (Post 891626)
As for Classe', if it's managed well (D+M Group seems to be), I see no reason why their customers won't continue to be delighted. But, change always brings potential for degradation.

No doubt. To look on the bright side, change also brings potential for improvement.

Karl Maga 01-11-2018 09:47 PM

Agreed Mike. It would be nice to see Classe’ do well.