AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Bryston Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Bi-Amp Mini-Ts (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42065)

joe schmoe 02-01-2018 08:27 PM

Bi-Amp Mini-Ts

Well, I'm getting into this performance audio thing, just wish my back pocket was larger and deeper.
Any how, I ordered some Blue Jean Cable 10 AWG with locking banana plugs, removed the factory jumpers on my Mini-T's and wired them up in order to do bi-amp or is it bi-amping (:dunno:) from my Anthem PVA-7 amp.

Re-calibrated my Pioneer SC-65 using the MCACC auto feature, then fired up Dire Straits Brothers in Arms re-mastered CD and :eek2::eek2::eek2:

Having never done this before, I am amazed at the sonic performance beyond what these Mini-Ts sounded like before...

If the wifey wasn't sick and here, I would really be listening to this at a very high gain!

Suffice it to say, these sound just incredible. :chillin:

Currently enjoying The Eagles Hell Freezes Over remastered CD! :music: :beerchug:

Humbuster 02-01-2018 08:38 PM

Thinking about doing the same with my Mini Ts as well.

What I am not sure about is driving them with different amps.

I am presently using a McIntosh MA6600 (200 w pCh). Mc no longer makes a similar rated 2 channel amp. The closest is about 150 w pCh). Not sure if this is compatible or would do damage to the speakers.

joe schmoe 02-01-2018 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Humbuster (Post 896633)
Thinking about doing the same with my Mini Ts as well.

What I am not sure about is driving them with different amps.

I am presently using a McIntosh MA6600 (200 w pCh). Mc no longer makes a similar rated 2 channel amp. The closest is about 150 w pCh). Not sure if this is compatible or would do damage to the speakers.

With my limited knowledge, I'm going to throw this out here, and maybe someone with more knowledge can shed an educated statement later.

I wouldn't think running 2 different amps would damage the speakers, IF they both were within the specified power rating of the speaker (250W RMS- if I remember correctly)

Run one amp for the low side and the other amp to run the high side, you should be fine.

Only thing I could imagine being a problem would be getting the gain balanced between the high side and the low side.

Would the difference in power output (gain) from each amp be noticeable, that I don't know.

Humbuster 02-01-2018 08:55 PM

Thanks.

Agreed that matching the gain could be an issue.

James Tanner - Bryston 02-01-2018 09:18 PM

Hi Folks,

Yes the 'gain' of the amplifiers would have to be the same - the power can differ as long as the gain is the same - EX - 1 volt in equals 100 watts..

All Bryston amps have the same gain so you can mix and match easily.

james

GaryProtein 02-01-2018 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe schmoe (Post 896629)
Well, I'm getting into this performance audio thing, just wish my back pocket was larger and deeper.
Any how, I ordered some Blue Jean Cable 10 AWG with locking banana plugs, removed the factory jumpers on my Mini-T's and wired them up in order to do bi-amp or is it bi-amping (:dunno:) from my Anthem PVA-7 amp.

The $64,000 question is, drumroll, please. . . . .

ARE YOU USING AN ACTIVE CROSSOVER?

With that you can compensate for different gains and volume outputs of two different amplifiers.

GaryProtein 02-01-2018 11:46 PM

Another possibility just occurred to me. . . .

You could use a passive preamp as a volume controller between your preamp and the more powerful bass or treble power amps to equalize the volumes.