AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Magnepan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Magnepan 30.7 Loudspeaker (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41033)

cma29 11-03-2017 11:18 PM

Magnepan 30.7 Loudspeaker

Robert started a thread on "Prototype Maggies", but now that the model has been confirmed and named the 30.7s I'd like to start a new thread dedicated to this very promising new dipole.

Here are some early thoughts on the 30.7s by Jacob Heilbrunn and Jonathan Valin from The Absolute Sound: link.

Some highlights from the first blog post (several are forthcoming):
  • The 30.7 represents an attempt by Magnepan to build upon and surpass the legendary Tympani IVa, an elaborate six-panel design.
  • Four-panel (two panels per side), line-source, ribbon/quasi-ribbon loudspeaker system of considerable width (a little under four feet across per side!), height (about six-and-a-half feet), and just a couple of inches in depth.
  • Cost: $29,000 per pair
  • Release: January 2018
  • Full review by TAS forthcoming.
  • Jonathan Valin: the 30.7s are "the best ’Pan I’ve ever heard (and, once again, I’ve heard them all) and the best buy in an ultra-high-end loudspeaker I’ve ever come across."

I certainly love the sound of my 20.7s and these 30.7s look like the logical next step, but at 4 feet wide per channel I just don't have the room to place these behemoths in my listening room.

Having said that, never say never and I'll be looking to audition these Maggies in 2018.

Looking forward to reading comments from all Maggie lovers and Tympani fans.

timm 11-03-2017 11:38 PM

Ooh. Carlos...looking forward to your 'real' review. :)

PlanarSpeakerFan 11-04-2017 12:23 AM

Hi Carlos,

The 30.7’s look to take the 20.7’s a step further. But I agree that to really shine, these panels will need a lot of breathing room.

Best,
Ken

bart 11-04-2017 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timm (Post 877347)
ooh. Carlos...looking forward to your 'real' review. :)

+1! :d

cma29 11-10-2017 12:50 PM

Second Blog Post on the 30.7s from The Absolute Sound

The Absolute Sound:
Magnepan 30.7 Loudspeaker, Part Two by Julie Mullins

Mikado463 11-10-2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan (Post 877353)
Hi Carlos,

The 30.7’s look to take the 20.7’s a step further. But I agree that to really shine, these panels will need a lot of breathing room.

Ken

Ken, not only will they need breathing room but if they really wanted to take them a step further they would have done a much better job with panel bracing / feet IMO. Given the 30k price, again, no excuse IMO.

cma29 11-10-2017 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 878697)
Ken, not only will they need breathing room but if they really wanted to take them a step further they would have done a much better job with panel bracing / feet IMO. Given the 30k price, again, no excuse IMO.

Agree - they should contract with Grant VanderMye to make his Mye Sound stands the official Magnepan speaker stand.

josh358 11-17-2017 10:46 AM

According to Wendell Diller, they chose to go back to their traditional feet because the newer oval base just didn't look good on these. I asked him about weighted feet that went behind and would be invisible from the front, and he said that they're extremely heavy as it is and it would make them impractically heavy.

Otherwise, well, I think they're already being called the best bargain in audio and competitive with speakers that are far more expensive. Sure, they could gain a bit by milling the baffles out of aluminum or Corian or something equally elaborate, but they'd no longer be $30,000 speakers and from what I hear and read they're already competitive with anything out there at any price. Ditto for other things they could do like use neodynium magnets for greater efficiency, etc.

I haven't asked but I'm guessing that they'd say you should buy the stands from Grant, who sells direct and can offer stands for a lot less than Magnepan could with the retail markup. Or you can brace them yourself, I know some people who have done this with good results and I'll probably end up doing it myself with my Tympanis.

timm 11-19-2017 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cma29 (Post 878728)
Agree - they should contract with Grant VanderMye to make his Mye Sound stands the official Magnepan speaker stand.

Not to jump off topic/but tweak related. Carlos - did you find any appreciable difference using the hifi tuning fuses and the cardas jumpers? Assume the jumpers are the bananas w several inches of wire for both mids and tweets - replacing the stock bar.

cma29 11-19-2017 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timm (Post 880700)
Not to jump off topic/but tweak related. Carlos - did you find any appreciable difference using the hifi tuning fuses and the cardas jumpers? Assume the jumpers are the bananas w several inches of wire for both mids and tweets - replacing the stock bar.

Hi, timm.

Either my ears are not good enough to pick up on the differences or there was no material difference in performance that I can attribute to the fuses and/or the jumpers.

Having said that, these are cheap tweaks and the "psychological" benefit of knowing that I'm addressing all possible weak areas is worth it. I think the best tweak for my 20.7s was the Mye Sound stands for improved panel bracing and stability.