AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Montille - original tubes (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40892)

catacore 10-23-2017 03:39 AM

Montille - original tubes

Hello,

After getting an Aurieges few months back, one week ago I have managed to get a Montille to pair it with. The Montille was bought as "ex-demo" from an European online store (can't really be a dealer considering the RoHs regulations, I guess). They told me the Montille is 7 years old and has seen about 5-6 month of functioning.
Now, this morning I decided to have a look at the tubes and found all EL84 to be Sovtek made in Russia. To me it is hard to believe these are the originals that Shindo have shipped with.
The other two tubes (in front) are 6AW8A but can't really read any mark name. One of those is quite smokey-black, wondering if it got towards the end of its life.

So, I was wondering if anyone knows what the original tubes for Montille EL84 would be, then I will start looking to buy those on Internet (hopefully they are not un-obtainium).

Best,

Cata

vintage_tube 10-23-2017 07:52 AM

Cata Sir,

It's highly doubtful they came from the factory with the Russian EL84's. Without having communications with Jonathan Halpern (US Importer), I'd venture to say they came with Telefunken EL84's and Philips 6AW8A's. If it doesn't specifically state in the manual, I'd contact Jonathan to get the real scoop.

Best Sir,

Bob

catacore 10-23-2017 09:25 AM

Thanks Bob for your reply. I have dropped an email to Matt, hopefully he will reply. Meanwhile I would appreciate any other input from other Montille users.

catacore 10-24-2017 02:53 AM

I got the reply from Matt saying Shindo was using Mullard tubes for EL84. And Philips for 6AW8A. Meanwhile I have found Art Dudley's "Listening #55" where he mentions Telefunkens as being used in his Montille for EL84. Then Matt confirmed that info saying Telefunkens were used after the Mullards became scarce.
Just some piece of info

vintage_tube 10-24-2017 08:45 AM

That's great and as suspected.

Four of those original Telefunken or Mullard EL84's with perfect stenciling and test results from well trusted sellers & dealers could bring ownership to the $350 to $500 range. The Philips 6AW8A's will be easier to find & affordable.

Depends on what you want to do and outlay dollars to play "vintage."

There are equivalent options available as proven by the Russian reissue Gold Lion & Mullard EL84's which one can obtain in quads for $100.

Best Sir & do your due diligence if pursuing NOS tubes.

Bob

JPrest 10-24-2017 09:45 AM

I use Telefunken EL84, note that these tubes run very hot, meaning a tube may test fine but still red plate, Tele tubes are plentiful. Not sure why but NOS tubes that test 95 to 100 percent work better than those testing 101 to 105 percent. I found no benefit rolling 6AW8A's.
Good Luck
John

catacore 10-24-2017 12:27 PM

My aim is to try and get the "original" sound as intended by Shindo-San. That's why I have bought Shindo :)

Sancho22 10-31-2017 08:51 PM

I have the same set-up. Try the Hungarian made Tungsram EL-84 and/or the ex-Yugoslavian Ei-EL 84. I am listening to the Tungsram filled Montille as I write this. Sounds really nice. One of the tube selling sites owner swears by them.

catacore 11-02-2017 06:29 AM

Good tip Sancho, thanks, but as posted above, my aim is to get (for now) the "original Shindo sound" as intended by Ken Shindo. I'm not into "tube rolling" at this moment.

Sancho22 11-08-2017 05:04 PM

Well the tubes I recommended are much closer to the Telefunkens my Montille was purchased than the Sovtek. Good luck an denjoy!