AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Martin Logan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Luxman 509x vs. Gryphon Diablo 120 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45534)

eziggy 04-05-2019 02:24 PM

Luxman 509x vs. Gryphon Diablo 120

I currently have the Impression 11As paired with a MC452. I have been searching for a good 2ch preamp and realized I may want the simplicity of an integrated for now.

Locked down my choices to the Luxman 509x, which everyone raves about, and more recently the Gryphon Diablo 120. I listen to almost all types of music, but jazz and classical are two that top the list. One of the main things I am looking for is the depth, clarity, and separation of vocals and instruments but be able to listen for while without fatigue.

Anyone have experience with the 509x or the Diablo 120 with MLs?

Thanks!

jzzmusician 04-05-2019 06:31 PM

I can't speak to the Gryphon, but two weeks ago I picked up a 2 month old 509x.

I've been a tube guy since about 1988 when I bought a pair of VTL Deluxe 100's and their Ultimate pre amp. I moved up the chain to the Deluxe 225's and then to the Manley 350s.

Until last year I had nothing but planers and electrostatics. I had a couple of pairs of Maggies and the Martin Logan CLX and Monolith 3's. For the past few years I've had Quad 2805s driven by a Primaluna Dialogue HP integrated. I replaced the Quads last year when our friend Ivan worked his magic on a pair of Dali Epicon 8s. I'm just saying all of this because I have a pretty good sense, (I think) of what makes electrostatics sing.

In my two short weeks with the Luxman I have no doubt that it would do the job. It's 120 watts into 8 ohms and 220 into 4 ohms. What's being written about the 509x in the reviews is real. I was stunned at how much more control the Luxman has vs my Primaluna, especially in the mid and lower bass. The top mids and top end are very easy on the ears without sacrificing any detail.

If you live anywhere near SE Washington, shoot me a PM. I'm always up for a road trip and I'll drag it over and you can give a listen.

- Bob

LarsT 04-05-2019 06:53 PM

I can vouch for Bob as to the prowess of the L-509X. It is the real deal.

GreginNH1 04-05-2019 09:31 PM

+2

eziggy 04-05-2019 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jzzmusician (Post 960143)
I can't speak to the Gryphon, but two weeks ago I picked up a 2 month old 509x.

I've been a tube guy since about 1988 when I bought a pair of VTL Deluxe 100's and their Ultimate pre amp. I moved up the chain to the Deluxe 225's and then to the Manley 350s.

Until last year I had nothing but planers and electrostatics. I had a couple of pairs of Maggies and the Martin Logan CLX and Monolith 3's. For the past few years I've had Quad 2805s driven by a Primaluna Dialogue HP integrated. I replaced the Quads last year when our friend Ivan worked his magic on a pair of Dali Epicon 8s. I'm just saying all of this because I have a pretty good sense, (I think) of what makes electrostatics sing.

In my two short weeks with the Luxman I have no doubt that it would do the job. It's 120 watts into 8 ohms and 220 into 4 ohms. What's being written about the 509x in the reviews is real. I was stunned at how much more control the Luxman has vs my Primaluna, especially in the mid and lower bass. The top mids and top end are very easy on the ears without sacrificing any detail.

If you live anywhere near SE Washington, shoot me a PM. I'm always up for a road trip and I'll drag it over and you can give a listen.

- Bob

Thanks Bob, that’s great insight and validates what I have read and heard. The options for me are buy a preamp (probably McIntosh) or go with the 509x. I am heavily leaning towards the Luxman since it seems to check the boxes on the type of sound characteristics I am looking for.

Really appreciate the offer! Unfortunately I am down in SoCal, if ever make it up to Washington I will definitely let you know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarsT (Post 960148)
I can vouch for Bob as to the prowess of the L-509X. It is the real deal.

Awesome, thanks! Seems like this is the general consensus.

eziggy 04-06-2019 04:45 PM

Does anyone have experience comparing Luxman and McIntosh gear with ML speakers?