AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   CD Players, Digital Music & Servers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   ROON core on a NUC (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40764)

Still-One 10-11-2017 06:21 PM

ROON core on a NUC

Are any of you currently running Roon on a NUC? If so what has been your experience? Any issues with set-up or stability?

About a week ago I was discussing what at that time was my set-up. Roon Core running on my MacBook Pro connected wirelessly to my network. I have a USB storage device for CD's and hi-rez files which is also connected to that network and is monitored for changes by Roon. Tidal is accessed thru Roon for both CD quality and MQA titles. Then endpoint was my Meridian 808v6 connected via ethernet to the network. Everything was running very smooth. No drop-outs that others seem to experience. The only time it might hang up is when it is performing a rescan of my files.

The individual indicated that I would get better SQ if my core was hardwired to my network. I explained that there was no way I was wiring my laptop to the network so he suggested I add a NUC to perform the core duties connected via ethernet. Doing a bit of research to looks as if I would also have to add a network switch so I would have sufficient ports. From what I am reading I would have to purchase a keyboard and possibly a mouse to complete the NUC set-up. Haven't had either one of those in the house in 10 years.

Last week I sold my Meridian 808v6 and picked up a dCS Rossini. Now I am impatiently waiting for the final version of MQA for the Rossini, supposedly and day now. I am hoping that their final version runs thru Roon and not just their ap.

CGabriel 10-11-2017 07:41 PM

Jim, we have been running ROON ROCK on a NUC for several months.
No issues. Runs fine.

SL1800 10-11-2017 07:46 PM

I purchased a i5 system from small green computer and it works perfectly

Still-One 10-11-2017 07:49 PM

Caelin
Do you know if it required a keyboard and mouse during the initial setup? Do you believe that there would be some SQ improvement by running Roon Core on the NUC rather than on a laptop? I am assuming their is a belief that there is less noice from a dedicated NUC than what is generated in a laptop. I am not sure if it would be significant.

Still-One 10-11-2017 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SL1800 (Post 871541)

What type of drive did you connect for storage?

SL1800 10-11-2017 08:04 PM

Jim I have a Synology NAS.

Garytn 10-11-2017 09:10 PM

ROON core on a NUC

Quote:

Originally Posted by SL1800 (Post 871541)

Me, too.
I purchased a sonicTransporter from Small Green Computer with an i5. Got 2T of SSD storage. They can be configured with up to 4T. It is connected via Ethernet to my home system router. It has to be configured up front. I did that with a Mac that is also connected to my network. It has worked flawlessly ever since.

Still-One 10-11-2017 09:43 PM

This must be the sonicTransporter I5 that is on their website. This off the shelf unit is probably a little easier to install than putting a NUC together for myself. It looks like the price is similar to the units (Nucleus) that Roon are supposed to be selling soon.

Weirdcuba 10-11-2017 10:09 PM

No NUC here, but good sq improvement when I went hard wired.

SL1800 10-11-2017 10:11 PM

The sonicTransporter i5 is very easy to setup.

Still-One 10-11-2017 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 871572)
No NUC here, but good sq improvement when I went hard wired.

You are confirming what others have noted. Not sure why but the unexplained is common in this hobby.

wklie 10-11-2017 11:56 PM

WiFi generates RFI.

Garytn 10-12-2017 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 871567)
This must be the sonicTransporter I5 that is on their website. This off the shelf unit is probably a little easier to install than putting a NUC together for myself. It looks like the price is similar to the units (Nucleus) that Roon are supposed to be selling soon.

You are correct; mine is just that with the added storage. I wanted a one box solution. I may regret that one day, but I back all my files up to an external drive.
It is very easy to set up. Andrew, the owner, is great to work with. If you do have a problem, you have an expert on call.

Still-One 10-12-2017 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garytn (Post 871613)
You are correct; mine is just that with the added storage. I wanted a one box solution. I may regret that one day, but I back all my files up to an external drive.
It is very easy to set up. Andrew, the owner, is great to work with. If you do have a problem, you have an expert on call.

:thumbsup:

Thanks

enatai252 10-12-2017 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 871524)
Are any of you currently running Roon on a NUC? If so what has been your experience? Any issues with set-up or stability?

About a week ago I was discussing what at that time was my set-up. Roon Core running on my MacBook Pro connected wirelessly to my network. I have a USB storage device for CD's and hi-rez files which is also connected to that network and is monitored for changes by Roon. Tidal is accessed thru Roon for both CD quality and MQA titles. Then endpoint was my Meridian 808v6 connected via ethernet to the network. Everything was running very smooth. No drop-outs that others seem to experience. The only time it might hang up is when it is performing a rescan of my files.

The individual indicated that I would get better SQ if my core was hardwired to my network. I explained that there was no way I was wiring my laptop to the network so he suggested I add a NUC to perform the core duties connected via ethernet. Doing a bit of research to looks as if I would also have to add a network switch so I would have sufficient ports. From what I am reading I would have to purchase a keyboard and possibly a mouse to complete the NUC set-up. Haven't had either one of those in the house in 10 years.

Last week I sold my Meridian 808v6 and picked up a dCS Rossini. Now I am impatiently waiting for the final version of MQA for the Rossini, supposedly and day now. I am hoping that their final version runs thru Roon and not just their ap.

I use an i7 NUC running Roon ROCK which was a improvement over running the Roon Core on my Mac computer. you do need keyboard monitor for initial setup but my dealer did it for me and as you mentioned Roon is coming out with their own PnP products. once setup you can control from the app

My storage is on a NAS and my Roon App controls music delivery to both the Rossini and the Vivaldi. all of the devices are connected via Ethernet network.

I am also waiting on MQA software update

Enjoy the Rossini. great unit

edkoz 10-12-2017 09:30 AM

Sorry for the dumb question but what is a "NUC"
ed

jdandy 10-12-2017 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edkoz (Post 871619)
Sorry for the dumb question but what is a "NUC"
ed

Ed.......Next Unit of Computing (NUC) is a small-form-factor personal computer designed by Intel.

http://www.techradar.com/news/comput...el-nuc-1299036

http://rayacorp.ir/wp-content/upload...XL-705x470.jpg

edkoz 10-12-2017 11:44 AM

Thank you Dan

JemHadar 10-12-2017 12:32 PM

ROON core on a NUC

I replaced my behemoth gaming rig with a i5 NUC. Really like it, but the fan is rather noisy and irritating even at slow speeds. I did install a HDD so turning of the fan is not recommended. With a lower grade processor and SSD one could probably switch off the fan and not run the risk of overheating.

enatai252 10-12-2017 01:08 PM

ROON core on a NUC

Jim. There is also a thread on Roon Rock from a few months ago which discuss some of the NUC configuration people are using. I run an i7/16GBRam and EVO SSD. I have all the parts I ordered if you are interested in building....super simple. You just put ROCK on a USB and it auto installs....I do believe there are a few bios settings to check which is reason for keyboard and monitor....after that your app can manage updates and directing Roon to you music files

Still-One 10-12-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enatai252 (Post 871656)
Jim. There is also a thread on Roon Rock from a few months ago which discuss some of the NUC configuration people are using. I run an i7/16GBRam and EVO SSD. I have all the parts I ordered if you are interested in building....super simple. You just put ROCK on a USB and it auto installs....I do believe there are a few bios settings to check which is reason for keyboard and monitor....after that your app can manage updates and directing Roon to you music files

If you could PM me the list of what you ordered that would be great. They have some info listed on the Roon site and I will compare the two.

It looks as if I will have to order a network switch too. I only have one ethernet line running from my router upstairs to my two channel room connecting to my Rossini. I guess I could remove that line from the Rossini and connect both the Rossini and NUC to the switch.

wklie 10-12-2017 09:58 PM

If you buy a network switch for Roon, do not buy a managed switch (especially not Cisco).

Typically cheap unmanaged switches from Netgear, D-Link and TP-Link would work with Roon.

enatai252 10-12-2017 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 871681)
If you could PM me the list of what you ordered ...

It looks as if I will have to order a network switch too. I only have one ethernet line running from my router upstairs to my two channel room connecting to my Rossini. I guess I could remove that line from the Rossini and connect both the Rossini and NUC to the switch.

PM sent. On the switch. You don't have to have the NUC and Rossini connected to same switch. They have to be on same wired network so if you just connect NUC to router it will work. You may get a bit of improvement if the two are on same switch with short cabling but that is dependent on many variables. I do have my NUC and Vivaldi on same switch in media cabinet but NAS is in network equipment room and the Rossini in the study also uses the Roon ROCK but is in different room so not on same switch....I don't notice any latency differences

Still-One 10-12-2017 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wklie (Post 871762)
If you buy a network switch for Roon, do not buy a managed switch (especially not Cisco).

Typically cheap unmanaged switches from Netgear, D-Link and TP-Link would work with Roon.

Thank you for the help. Up until now I have had no need for switches.

Still-One 10-12-2017 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enatai252 (Post 871763)
PM sent. On the switch. You don't have to have the NUC and Rossini connected to same switch. They have to be on same wired network so if you just connect NUC to router it will work. You may get a bit of improvement if the two are on same switch with short cabling but that is dependent on many variables. I do have my NUC and Vivaldi on same switch in media cabinet but NAS is in network equipment room and the Rossini in the study also uses the Roon ROCK but is in different room so not on same switch....I don't notice any latency differences

So far I haven't seen the PM.

My limitation is that I only have one ethernet connection running from my router to my 2 -channel room. For them time being I would like to keep a Sooloos connection (ethernet) to that room in addition to a connection for the Rossini and a NUC (or Nucleus) So that means the switch would need to be on that end of the ethernet run

enatai252 10-12-2017 11:04 PM

ROON core on a NUC

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 871768)
So far I haven't seen the PM.

My limitation is that I only have one ethernet connection running from my router to my 2 -channel room. For them time being I would like to keep a Sooloos connection (ethernet) to that room in addition to a connection for the Rossini and a NUC (or Nucleus) So that means the switch would need to be on that end of the ethernet run

Jim. Not advocating against a switch (I have one in my media room) just suggesting you may not need it if you don’t want it.

I don’t know how your Home is wired but typically you have a router supplied by your ISP. Some use that router to provide wireless or you may have a 3rd party wireless router ( I use a Luxul) which takes the LAN signal from ISP router and provides your wireless signal. Either way most people use the LAN connections of the router to a switcher located near router. And then run Ethernet runs from that switch throughout their house. You are able to plug the NUC into that local switch by the router or anywhere else in the house for that matter. It will see the Rossini and the Roon app will see the NUC

Alternatively you can buy a small switch and put in your two channel room. It would connect via Ethernet to the router and then you just plug you Rossini and NUC into it.

Having the NUC close to Rossini is likely the best SQ solution but the difference may be small

wklie 10-12-2017 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 871681)
If you could PM me the list of what you ordered that would be great.

You need NUC7i7BNH, no less than 8GB RAM, and a SSD no less than 250GB.

Still-One 10-13-2017 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wklie (Post 871783)
You need NUC7i7BNH, no less than 8GB RAM, and a SSD no less than 250GB.

wklie 10-13-2017 12:31 AM

One more thing: if you need it to be fanless, you can look at this:
http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?t...el=A-NUC37-A1B

but it's limited to NUC7i5BNH - not i7.

Alternatively, you can wait for the $2000 fanless Nucleus+ i7, or a $1499 SonicTransporter i7:
https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/p...nt=35324041615

FlexibleAudio 10-13-2017 09:24 AM

Lots of options out there (I think Andrew at Small Green is great) but it is hard to imagine why one would not do the Nucleus if you are a Roon fan. Hardware optimized for Roon by Roon for $1495!!! They are so customer driven and smart, I have to imagine this system will rock.....pun intended.

orosie 10-16-2017 11:42 AM

I recently upgraded my Roon Core from a MacMini i5 to a SonicTransporter i7, with a Kaby Lake i7 proc, 8GB DDR4 memory and 120GB SSD. One of the main reasons was a fan-less aluminum case with an external power supply, but probably the most important reason was the dual NICs that are bridged, so I can connect the ST to my network switch, and my Auralic Aries (Roon Endpoint) directly to the ST, and bypass the busy network, for a pure as possible connection. Aries connects to my Auralic Vega via Curious USB.

All of my digital files are housed on a Synology DS916+.

Very happy with new setup...

Still-One 10-20-2017 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orosie (Post 872631)
I recently upgraded my Roon Core from a MacMini i5 to a SonicTransporter i7, with a Kaby Lake i7 proc, 8GB DDR4 memory and 120GB SSD. One of the main reasons was a fan-less aluminum case with an external power supply, but probably the most important reason was the dual NICs that are bridged, so I can connect the ST to my network switch, and my Auralic Aries (Roon Endpoint) directly to the ST, and bypass the busy network, for a pure as possible connection. Aries connects to my Auralic Vega via Curious USB.

All of my digital files are housed on a Synology DS916+.

Very happy with new setup...

I was looking at the Small Green Computer website and I cannot find a phone number anywhere to contact them. I am either blind or they aren't very customer friendly. :dunno:

orosie 10-20-2017 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 873570)
I was looking at the Small Green Computer website and I cannot find a phone number anywhere to contact them. I am either blind or they aren't very customer friendly. :dunno:

When looking at products on their site, there is a contact box in the lower right of the browser you can click on to provide your contact info. They were very responsive when I ordered product...so I have no reason to believe they would not reach out to you if you pinged them prior to doing so.

Still-One 10-20-2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orosie (Post 873583)
When looking at products on their site, there is a contact box in the lower right of the browser you can click on to provide your contact info. They were very responsive when I ordered product...so I have no reason to believe they would not reach out to you if you pinged them prior to doing so.

Thanks for pointing that out. I guess my age shows. I usually prefer a phone call.

Still-One 10-20-2017 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orosie (Post 873583)

Thanks. I did as you suggested and received a phone number soon after. Had a good conversation and am pondering my options.