AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Bryston Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Bryston price increase (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=3921)

Masterlu 03-31-2010 06:56 PM

Bryston price increase

Bryston will have an 8% price increase across the line starting tomorrow. No, it's not an April Fools joke. :no:

jdandy 03-31-2010 06:59 PM

Ouch!

Masterlu 03-31-2010 07:07 PM

I'm afraid we are going to see other lines increase as well...

PHC1 03-31-2010 09:49 PM

A wise move during economic slumps and general lack of interest in large purchases. :whistle: If it doesn't sell well, increase the price... Yep, that should do it. :smoking:

-E- 03-31-2010 11:28 PM

While I rarely do it - I completely agree with Serge.

Worst possible move to make.

Masterlu 03-31-2010 11:38 PM

At least they gave us lots of notice before they did it... :no:

PHC1 04-01-2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 71671)
At least they gave us lots of notice before they did it... :no:

I am reading between the lines... :D

PHC1 04-01-2010 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vesuvius (Post 71663)
While I rarely do it - I completely agree with Serge.

Worst possible move to make.

No Mcintosh no love? :scratch2:

James Tanner - Bryston 04-01-2010 08:33 AM

Actually some prices are not changing at all on some product and some are changing between 3-8% depending on costs.

Also the US dollar has plunged in value over the last year by over 25% - so we are actually making less money per sale than this time last year.

Also we do not raise prices because product does not sell. In fact (touch wood) we have just had the best 6 months of sales in the history of our company.

One of the things I do not understand about these boards is why people find it so easy to attack and denigrate companies and people?

james

cmalak 04-01-2010 09:20 AM

James...i didn't view any of the comments made above as an attack on Bryston in any way. What you are hearing is the customer view concerning frustration with never ending price increases in the high-end audio industry well above typical inflation levels. And while you are quite correct that the USD/CAD f/x rate has devalued 25% in the last year and so your price increases of 3%-8% in the face of that are quite admirable (assuming the bulk of your costs are in C$), in 2008 that same f/x was a 25% tailwind for Bryston but I don't recall any of that benefit coming back to customers in the form of price declines :scratch2: :D. So f/x trends are a great excuse for companies (in any industry) to justify price increases when they are unfavorable but you never see companies passing on savings to consumers when f/x trends work in favor of corporations. In any case, I would not view the comments above as a Bryston-specific comment, rather, a general exasperation high-end audio consumers have with unreasonable price increases year-in year-out across the industry at levels well above typical inflation levels (and I wouldn't cite Bryston necessarily as eggregious on this front as we all know that on a relative basis, Bryston tends to deliver more performance per $ - i.e. more value - than other more exotic high-end manufacturers). Just my 2c worth.