AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wilson Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Watt Puppy 5 Vs 5.1 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49005)

RH67 11-12-2020 08:05 PM

Watt Puppy 5 Vs 5.1

Several decades ago a friend had a pair of Watt Puppy 5`s and at the time it was one of the best speakers that i had heard but at that time in my life (divorce) they were out of reach money wise. They left a big impact on me.

Recently i have been considering new speakers i currently have Devore Nines so i decided to look for used Wilson speakers particularly the 5`s and in looking i have noticed a 5.1 model. I have searched online trying to find the differences between the 5`s and 5.1 to no avail.

My question is what is the difference? In the used market price wise they are about the same 4-5k range. I have not kept up on Wilson speakers for quite awhile so any help is much appreciated.

PHC1 11-12-2020 08:14 PM

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...ppy-51-upgrade

RH67 11-12-2020 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 1021003)

Perfect! Thanks.

PHC1 11-12-2020 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH67 (Post 1021007)
Perfect! Thanks.

Good luck with your quest.

lem321 11-13-2020 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH67 (Post 1021002)
Several decades ago a friend had a pair of Watt Puppy 5`s and at the time it was one of the best speakers that i had heard but at that time in my life (divorce) they were out of reach money wise. They left a big impact on me.

Recently i have been considering new speakers i currently have Devore Nines so i decided to look for used Wilson speakers particularly the 5`s and in looking i have noticed a 5.1 model. I have searched online trying to find the differences between the 5`s and 5.1 to no avail.

My question is what is the difference? In the used market price wise they are about the same 4-5k range. I have not kept up on Wilson speakers for quite awhile so any help is much appreciated.

In your search for the 5.1, make sure the common problems have been addressed, namely the deterioration of the foam diffraction pads on the face of the speakers and the rubber surrounds on the woofers.

RH67 11-13-2020 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lem321 (Post 1021057)
In your search for the 5.1, make sure the common problems have been addressed, namely the deterioration of the foam diffraction pads on the face of the speakers and the rubber surrounds on the woofers.

I`m finding this to be the number one issue with these older speakers. I hope they still sound as good as i remember. Thanks!

lem321 11-14-2020 04:37 PM

Not that hard or costly to do if you're relatively handy. Did the surrounds and diffraction pads myself years ago with good results. Also replaced the original foam grills with newer framed ones. Cleaner look I think. The Puppy woofers were subsequently replaced with a newer model (from the Sophias) which Wilson Audio claims was also a step up in performance (e.g. better bass).

RH67 11-14-2020 09:22 PM

I`m also going to look for 6,7 and 8`s. I`m in no hurry and want to get the best condition used speaker possible.

I read a lot of negatives about these speakers but my experience with the puppies was that they presented an in-life live presentation of performances.

metaphacts 11-16-2020 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH67 (Post 1021195)
I`m also going to look for 6,7 and 8`s. I`m in no hurry and want to get the best condition used speaker possible.

I read a lot of negatives about these speakers but my experience with the puppies was that they presented an in-life live presentation of performances.

You might contact Wilson Audio dealers in the US.

With our Trade In/ Certified AuthenticTM Program, Wilson dealers often take older WATT/Puppy on trade, refurbish them, and sell them as Certified Authentic. Certified Authentic speakers must meet original performance spec and offer a 2 year Wilson Factory Warranty when installed by the dealer.

RH67 11-17-2020 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaphacts (Post 1021359)
You might contact Wilson Audio dealers in the US.

With our Trade In/ Certified AuthenticTM Program, Wilson dealers often take older WATT/Puppy on trade, refurbish them, and sell them as Certified Authentic. Certified Authentic speakers must meet original performance spec and offer a 2 year Wilson Factory Warranty when installed by the dealer.

Thanks! I contacted a dealer in Pasadena that i could be working with.