AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Schiit (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Yggdrasil upgrade to Analog 2--JUST DO IT! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44044)

PeterMusic 10-10-2018 09:26 PM

Yggdrasil upgrade to Analog 2--JUST DO IT!

Having loved my Yggy for a couple of years or so, I was a bit hesitant to jump on the Analog 2--why upgrade something that's so awesome to begin with? But I was in an expansive mood last April(!), so I got in line. My number came up in September and after 3 irritating weeks of a much lesser DAC in my rig, she arrived home this afternoon.

WOW! I am blown away. From the very first notes it's clear that the bass and transients pack more punch. Noise floor has dropped significantly, and I didn't think that was possible from where we started. Virtually everything is better articulated, with better separation, and thus the soundstage has also improved. All of this is done with no apparent loss of the musicality or warmth that Yggy fans love.

Frankly, I'm stunned. I was a bit worried that with no side by side comparison I wouldn't be sure the improvement was worth the $600 and 3 weeks apart. But it's taken my system to a whole new level. This is the best $600 I've spent in ages.

If you have a first generation Yggy, upgrade NOW!:D

Cohibaman 10-11-2018 07:08 PM

:thumbsup:

US Blues 10-11-2018 10:56 PM

Truth. :yes:

seahug 02-26-2019 10:51 PM

What a hassle. Seems like it's a must upgrade

Am in Manila and have had gen 1 Ygg for 2+ years.

Full upgrade inc usb 5 is $700 + 100 in shipping + no dac for 3 months transit. I suppose i can use my schiit modi + decrapifier

Or I can buy a new ygg 2600 inc tax and shipping and try to sell the gen 1 locally

PeterMusic 02-27-2019 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seahug (Post 955183)
What a hassle. Seems like it's a must upgrade

Am in Manila and have had gen 1 Ygg for 2+ years.

Full upgrade inc usb 5 is $700 + 100 in shipping + no dac for 3 months transit. I suppose i can use my schiit modi + decrapifier

Or I can buy a new ygg 2600 inc tax and shipping and try to sell the gen 1 locally

I'm really grateful to Schiit for the opportunity to upgrade, but yeah, it was a pain in the butt. I like option 2. Good luck! (You'll be happy afterwards)

seahug 02-28-2019 11:49 PM

Yes that seems to be the way to go.

Will have to wait though because I'm on the penny pinching side of feast/famine.

But I'm excited to upgrade.

audio bill 03-01-2019 10:08 AM

Since Schiit announced development of a revolutionary new USB design back at RMAF, you might want to hold off on upgrading or replacing your Yddgrasil until it is incorporated into production. Mike Moffat and Jason Stoddard of Schiit go on at some length about it in this video (starting at about the 24 minute mark), and claim it's the first USB implementation that they believe to exceed the sonic performance of SPDIF.

seahug 03-01-2019 12:08 PM

oh hey thanks!

ok i'll wait, but definitely will upgrade

jdandy 03-01-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audio bill (Post 955493)
Since Schiit announced development of a revolutionary new USB design back at RMAF, you might want to hold off on upgrading or replacing your Yddgrasil until it is incorporated into production. Mike Moffat and Jason Stoddard of Schiit go on at some length about it in this video (starting at about the 24 minute mark), and claim it's the first USB implementation that they believe to exceed the sonic performance of SPDIF.

Bill.......This is exciting news for USB implementation. I hope it bares fruit and raises the bar on USB sound performance. Right now I am enjoying the Schitt Audio Analog 2 DAC with the Gen 5 USB connected to my Aurender N100H in the living room system. The sound is remarkably good via USB. If this newer version of the Schiit USB design is as good as they say, I will probably go for the upgrade.

Puma Cat 03-17-2019 12:27 AM

Hmmm...this is interesting to read about because, as you remember, Dan, Schiit was pretty excited about the improvements to sound quality brought about by the Gen 5 USB implementation.

From the interview with Jason and Mike at RMAF, though, it sounds like what they have in the works for "USB Gen 6" might be on a whole other level altogether.

That might be pretty amazing, 'cause my Gumby already sounds damn good. Your Yggy must sound amazing....

Cheers,
Stephen