AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Magnepan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Announcing the 3.7i (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24735)

PLK 01-05-2014 12:09 PM

Announcing the 3.7i

Announcing the 3.7i

An improved 3.7 may come as a surprise given that the 3.6 had a 12-year run. But, this is unusual in other ways.

The changes did not require retooling or significant cost increases. It did not warrant waiting for a major product change as a 3.8. So, we decided to pass it on now.

Yes, it is unusual, and it is the first time in Magnepan's history that a speaker can be upgraded at the factory at a reasonable cost (details to follow).

But, what is not unusual--- we don't hype new models. Yes, it sounds better, but we leave that to you to describe.

Wendell Diller
Marketing Mgr.
Magnepan

cma29 01-05-2014 12:12 PM

Thanks for sneak peak. Can't wait to hear more! Is Magnepan showing the 3.7i at CES?

kfr01 01-05-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PLK (Post 567005)
Announcing the 3.7i

An improved 3.7 may come as a surprise given that the 3.6 had a 12-year run. But, this is unusual in other ways.

The changes did not require retooling or significant cost increases. It did not warrant waiting for a major product change as a 3.8. So, we decided to pass it on now.

Yes, it is unusual, and it is the first time in Magnepan's history that a speaker can be upgraded at the factory at a reasonable cost (details to follow).

But, what is not unusual--- we don't hype new models. Yes, it sounds better, but we leave that to you to describe.

Wendell Diller
Marketing Mgr.
Magnepan

I get not hyping new models, but this doesn't us ANYTHING about what has changed other than the addition of "i"....

russell 01-06-2014 12:30 AM

Will you please provide us with more information Wendell? Changes? Cost? Will there be a 20.7i?

PLK 01-06-2014 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russell (Post 567238)
Will you please provide us with more information Wendell? Changes? Cost? Will there be a 20.7i?

I suggest you send Wendell an email.

bzr 01-06-2014 04:35 AM

Ha!

russell 01-06-2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PLK (Post 567240)

I suggest you send Wendell an email.

Who is this message for? Russell?

PLK 01-06-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russell (Post 567340)
Who is this message for? Russell?

Yes.

AFAIK, Mr.Diller is not a member of AA.

More details on the 3.7i should be released at CES this week.

russell 01-06-2014 02:52 PM

I emailed him so we'll see if he responds.

Your original post appeared to come directly from Wendell, as if you were Wendell so to speak.

Sorry for the confusion.

mgard 01-06-2014 08:31 PM

Sounds great but I wouldn't want to ship my 3.7’s back to the factory. When my 1.7’s came a big chunk was ripped off the box. The speaker were OK inside but it makes me nervous. I could put them on a palette but it would be very large. Michigan isn't that far from Minnesota, maybe I need to plan a summer vacation.
:scratch2:
~Mike

harri009 01-06-2014 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgard (Post 567583)
Sounds great but I wouldn't want to ship my 3.7’s back to the factory. When my 1.7’s came a big chunk was ripped off the box. The speaker were OK inside but it makes me nervous. I could put them on a palette but it would be very large. Michigan isn't that far from Minnesota, maybe I need to plan a summer vacation. :scratch2: ~Mike

I agree, it's way to much effort/danger to ship these around the country.

drummermitchell 01-07-2014 10:05 AM

Or from Canada or even Europe,have to be insured for FULL PRICE.
Probably looking at 4-600 to ship from Canada,as stated not worth the hassle.
Then the time and hassle to get your money out of fedex or whoever the couriers are.
It would have to be a major upgrade,even then I believe my 7's would stay right at home.
Course if the reviews from audiophiles were that good then I'd sell the 3.7's and just upgrade thru my audio dealer.

Coleman 01-16-2014 09:29 AM

Interesting that they have now added an 'i' suffix like Volkswagen!

I'll be upgrading to the 20's, if I do upgrade; Maggies are like boats -- what is the saying? -- two foot-itis... :D

cma29 01-23-2014 05:40 PM

So what happened with these speakers? Were they at CES?

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

russell 01-23-2014 06:17 PM

I've sent Wendell an email about this a few weeks ago but still have not received a reply.

maxdog 01-24-2014 08:19 PM

Check their web site....they have some info under the 3.7 description about the 3.7i

Robert_Anderson 01-24-2014 08:51 PM

Shouldn't the website mention something by now?

cma29 01-26-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert_Anderson (Post 573674)
Shouldn't the website mention something by now?

The website does make reference to the 3.7i iteration, but all they say is that it's a $500 factory upgrade and that this is the first time that they have offered such an upgrade route.

PlanarSpeakerFan 01-26-2014 06:13 PM

According to my dealer, the bass is significantly improved. No further need for the DWM bass panels. Also a more seamless transition from midrange to tweeter, possibly due to changes in the crossover frequencies.

cma29 01-26-2014 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan (Post 574293)
According to my dealer, the bass is significantly improved. No further need for the DWM bass panels. Also a more seamless transition from midrange to tweeter, possibly due to changes in the crossover frequencies.

Thanks, Ken. You stay on top of these things.

Sounds like a nice improvement for what already was a great speaker.

russell 01-28-2014 10:36 AM

I spoke with Wendell about this yesterday and he confirmed the cost of the 3.7i changes would be $500 (not including shipping of course) but he would not describe any details about what changes would be made - proprietary information. He also hinted the change in sound would be subtle but most definitely stopped short of providing any description.

The i change is not offered/needed/necessary for the 20.7's.

cma29 01-28-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russell (Post 574854)
I spoke with Wendell about this yesterday and he confirmed the cost of the 3.7i changes would be $500 (not including shipping of course) but he would not describe any details about what changes would be made - proprietary information. He also hinted the change in sound would be subtle but most definitely stopped short of providing any description.

The i change is not offered/needed/necessary for the 20.7's.

Thanks for the update and good to hear the 20.7s need no upgrade since I don't want to deal with shipping those behemoths or be without my gear.

Wendell sounds too cagey when it comes to the 3.7i upgrade. It would be good to know what you are getting for the $500 before going through all the trouble. I guess in our hobby $500 is like pocket change and you should just trust that the results will be positive, but c'mon.

harri009 01-28-2014 12:12 PM

But that's just it, it's not just $500. The only safe way to ship Maggie's is to palletize them. That's going to cost you at least $300 each way. So you talking an $1100 upgrade for something no one knows what is

russell 01-28-2014 11:12 PM

Quote:

Wendell made no mention or claims of such improvements whatsoever. He hinted that any detectable change would be subtle at best.

Perhaps the dealer was describing the 20.7's.

PlanarSpeakerFan 01-29-2014 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russell (Post 575071)
Wendell made no mention or claims of such improvements whatsoever. He hinted that any detectable change would be subtle at best.

Perhaps the dealer was describing the 20.7's.

Hi Russell,

Nope. He already has the 3.7i at his store and does not have the 20.7. I was in a hurry and did not have the opportunity to listen myself. But my dealer, whose opinion I really trust, and the gentleman who had just completed an audition said the improvement over the 3.7 was significant. Bass response was significantly improved and the transition from the midrange to the tweeter was much more seamless.

I'll listen for myself the next time I visit the dealer and report back on my findiings.

Best,
Ken

Rayooo 01-29-2014 09:48 AM

I must be getting crazy (ok. more crazy) in my old age.... a set of 3.7i's are alive and well and at a dealer location now...yet Magnepan seem to be keeping it a secret as to what the change is. Why would this be? Maybe someone in the know at Magnepan spoke of it in a phone call somewhere and the NSA has the info?

Or am I mistaken and is the 3.7i upgrade somehow related to national security and thus the details must be kept secretive?

PlanarSpeakerFan 01-29-2014 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayooo (Post 575176)
I must be getting crazy (ok. more crazy) in my old age.... a set of 3.7i's are alive and well and at a dealer location now...yet Magnepan seem to be keeping it a secret as to what the change is. Why would this be? Maybe someone in the know at Magnepan spoke of it in a phone call somewhere and the NSA has the info?

Or am I mistaken and is the 3.7i upgrade somehow related to national security and thus the details must be kept secretive?

:lmao:

Sceptic 01-29-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan (Post 575167)
Hi Russell,

Nope. He already has the 3.7i at his store and does not have the 20.7. I was in a hurry and did not have the opportunity to listen myself. But my dealer, whose opinion I really trust, and the gentleman who had just completed an audition said the improvement over the 3.7 was significant. Bass response was significantly improved and the transition from the midrange to the tweeter was much more seamless.

I'll listen for myself the next time I visit the dealer and report back on my findiings.

Best,
Ken

Looking forward to your thoughts. Are both the 3.7 and the 3.7i available for comparison in the same showroom?
"Will you be able to hear the difference between the 3.7 and 3.7i? Yes, in a careful A-B test" :thought:

harri009 01-29-2014 01:08 PM

I think its funny that when the 3.6's came out no one thought they heard a division between the tweeter, mid, bass until late in production. Then the 3.7 came out and everyone raved how it corrected this problem. Now the i being pushed as correcting the problem again. I wonder how many times they will fix a problem that I don't hear lol

PlanarSpeakerFan 01-29-2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sceptic (Post 575208)

Looking forward to your thoughts. Are both the 3.7 and the 3.7i available for comparison in the same showroom?
"Will you be able to hear the difference between the 3.7 and 3.7i? Yes, in a careful A-B test" :thought:

Hi Sceptic,

Good question. He may have upgraded his demo 3.7 to the 3.7i. I will find out. I did own the 3.7 for a year and did extensive auditions of the 3.7 in his showroom and on his components, so I should be able to hear the difference, although an A-B comparison would be the optimal scenario.

Best,
Ken

Sceptic 02-09-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan (Post 575167)
Hi Russell,

Best,
Ken

That is exactly how a reliable source described the difference when I met him at the High-End Show in Stockholm yesterday. The upgrade (something with the bass/mid panel) is already there in the 20.7. If he is right it has nothing to do with the X-over.

russell 02-09-2014 01:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sceptic (Post 579006)
That is exactly how a reliable source described the difference...

I'm going to say what perhaps many may be thinking: I don't believe a $500 upgrade is going to make that much of a difference. Keep in mind Wendell from Magnepan said the difference would be subtle (if even noticed by the listener).

I trust we all agree that my source is reliable regarding this topic.

Sceptic 02-09-2014 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russell (Post 579016)
I'm going to say what perhaps many may be thinking: I don't believe a $500 upgrade is going to make that much of a difference. Keep in mind Wendell from Magnepan said the difference would be subtle (if even noticed by the listener).

As an owner of the 3.7 I hope you are right :D

russell 02-09-2014 01:53 PM

Based on my experience with audiophile adjectives, logic, business, and Wendell's comments, I would say I'm very confident you can rest easy Sceptic.

By the way, I've heard your speakers (3.7's) numerous times - they're great speakers - always will be.

PlanarSpeakerFan 02-09-2014 04:08 PM

I owned the 3.7 for a year and I agree, they are outstanding speakers and a tremendous value. I still haven't had a chance to stop in at my dealer and audition the 3.7i but I promise I will the next time I'm there.

I was seriously considering upgrading to the 20.7 last year but I went with the Revel Salon 2 because they also sounded great, the spouse liked them better and I got a terrific deal. Hence my handle, PlanarSpeakerFan. Also owned Apogee Duetta Signatures for years.

Ken

russell 02-09-2014 04:20 PM

Money and wife aside, which speaker did you like better? I'm curious to hear your opinions of the RS2 vs 20.7.

PlanarSpeakerFan 02-09-2014 06:25 PM

Hi Russell,

It's hard to place one above the other, both are reference level speakers in my opinion, even at their price point. Each speaker has its own strong points.

The 20.7 excel with their huge soundstage, it's like a wall of sound is coming at you, tall, wide and deep. The lifelike quality of piano is the best I've heard. Vocals are liquid, organic and true to life. Bass is both tight and fast.

The Salon 2 is a great all-around speaker with no weak points. Very fast with tremendous dynamics and powerful deep reaching bass. The speaker is very neutral and transparent with the smoothest and most seamless treble I've heard. If you closed your eyes, you would think you were listening to a planar speaker. Its produces vocals as lifelike and holographic as the best planar speakers. I would never have considered a dynamic speaker until I heard them. I've since auditioned the Vandersteen 7 and they are in the same category with even a bigger soundstage than the Salon 2.

The bottom line is I could have been extremely happy with either speaker.

Best,
Ken

cma29 02-09-2014 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan (Post 579146)
Hi Russell, It's hard to place one above the other, both are reference level speakers in my opinion, even at their price point. Each speaker has its own strong points. The 20.7 excel with their huge soundstage, it's like a wall of sound is coming at you, tall, wide and deep. The lifelike quality of piano is the best I've heard. Vocals are liquid, organic and true to life. Bass is both tight and fast. The Salon 2 is a great all-around speaker with no weak points. Very fast with tremendous dynamics and powerful deep reaching bass. The speaker is very neutral and transparent with the smoothest and most seamless treble I've heard. If you closed your eyes, you would think you were listening to a planar speaker. Its produces vocals as lifelike and holographic as the best planar speakers. I would never have considered a dynamic speaker until I heard them. I've since auditioned the Vandersteen 7 and they are in the same category with even a bigger soundstage than the Salon 2. The bottom line is I could have been extremely happy with either speaker. Best, Ken

Great description, Ken. I've never heard the Salons. Now, I would love to.

:goodpost:

PlanarSpeakerFan 02-09-2014 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cma29 (Post 579197)
Great description, Ken. I've never heard the Salons. Now, I would love to.

:goodpost:

Thanks Carlos! The Salon 2 are terrific speakers for sure but I honestly don't think you're missing a thing with the 20.7. They are right there with them and in some ways better (soundstage and piano). I would consider the Vandersteen 7 a step up from both but at $52K they should be.

Best,
Ken

harri009 02-09-2014 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan (Post 579257)
Thanks Carlos! The Salon 2 are terrific speakers for sure but I honestly don't think you're missing a thing with the 20.7. They are right there with them and in some ways better (soundstage and piano). I would consider the Vandersteen 7 a step up from both but at $52K they should be. Best, Ken

I have a buddy who has heard Vandy 7's and drooled over them for a while now. He also owned Revel Studio 2's and "Upgraded" to the 3.7's. He says that the Magnepans disappear better than the Studios ever did... Let's just say he told me he would probably not buy anything other Magnepan's unless the vandy 7's became about 30k cheaper. I would agree that your sitting pretty with the 20.7's :)