AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Denon (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Denon 100 - anniversary products, coming soon. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=5231)

Dj_AmTraX 08-07-2010 10:27 AM

Denon 100 - anniversary products, coming soon.

The site is Flash and it looks like shit.

Denon 100 - The Legacy of Firsts

Dj_AmTraX 08-25-2010 03:33 PM

The products are annoucnced. Anyone interested? I kinda like the TT.

-E- 08-25-2010 04:12 PM

Wow - they are re-issuing the PMA-A100!

That was an amazing 2 channel integrated years ago, and all for a retail of $999. I should have bought one :( - I have a good use for it now as an office 2-ch with some XLS320's.

jdandy 08-25-2010 05:23 PM

DJ.......You are right about the site. For that kind of development expense it could have been much better.

The Denon DP-A100 turntable looks interesting.

http://www.wirefresh.com/images/deno...-turntable.jpg .. http://www.wirefresh.com/images/deno...urntable-1.jpg

Dj_AmTraX 08-25-2010 11:06 PM

I think the TT will be a hit. I may consider it just to have it cause it's pretty.

KahunaCanuck 08-26-2010 11:49 AM

Read some thoughts on the TT on another site, someone said the internals are all Chinese made, and it is basically a tarted up version of their current TT. If thats true it's a shame it isn't more of a modern version of their classics from the 70s/80s...

Dj_AmTraX 08-26-2010 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck (Post 103213)
Read some thoughts on the TT on another site, someone said the internals are all Chinese made, and it is basically a tarted up version of their current TT. If thats true it's a shame it isn't more of a modern version of their classics from the 70s/80s...

Can you please link to the article.

Dj_AmTraX 08-26-2010 04:54 PM

All the other products aren't really that special. Your thought?

MC352 08-26-2010 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck (Post 103213)

Parts being made in China is inevitable in virtually every product in the world at this point.

I think it looks nice in the photo, seeing it in person and hearing it is the real test.

KahunaCanuck 08-27-2010 12:50 AM

Here is the link: Turntable Forum :: View topic - Denon DP-A100

I'm not trying to slam it, I thought it looked gorgeous when I first saw it...

Still-One 08-28-2010 02:57 PM

Denon Electronics, one of the world's leading manufacturers of high-quality home entertainment products that is celebrating 100 years of innovation and technology leadership in 2010, has debuted their special-edition Anniversary Product Collection (A100). With seven new home entertainment components that offer discriminating consumers an opportunity to become a part of Denon's century-old legacy of innovation and craftsmanship, these limited special-edition Denon Anniversary Product Collection includes the PMA-A100 Integrated Amplifier ($2499), DCD-A100 CD/SACD Player ($2499), DP-A100 Direct-Drive Turntable ($2499); DL-A100 Cartridge ($499), AVR-A100 9.2 Channel A/V Receiver ($2499), DBP-A100 Universal Blu-ray Player ($2499) and AH-A100 Over-Ear Headphones ($499). All A100 products will be available beginning in November 2010 at select Special Anniversary Denon dealers. Denon engineers and employees are musicians and music lovers. They dream, imagine and work across a broad canvas of tools and technologies to design the most innovative new products. All Denon A100 anniversary products come in a special carton with, for the first time in Denon's history, a five-year warranty and signed certificate of authenticity from the chief Denon production engineer who handcrafted the product. Also included is a richly detailed Denon "brand book" that explores the company's long and storied history. Each A100 component is finely tuned and reflects the commitment to passion, artistry and technology that has defined Denon in its first 100 years.

Denon's DP-A100 turntable features the same high-performance Denon direct-drive turntable technology that has delivered high-precision rotation for 40 years. Equipped with the DL-A100 cartridge, the DP-A100 is capable of masterfully reproducing the energy and beauty of analog records. In 1961, Denon jointly produced the now iconic DL-103 cartridge with NHK for use at FM stations. The DL-103 was able to play stereo LP records with high fidelity and reliability (providing easy handling and stability). The basic design of this model continues to achieve first-rate performance and plays an active part in today's world of Hi-Fi audio enthusiasts. Reflecting this engineering expertise and innovation, the new DL-A100 cartridge represents the standard model that has been in production for a little less than a half century - now reborn with the latest tuning for pure enjoyment.

The Denon PMA-A100 is an integrated amplifier that echoes the company's many years of audio technology development and innovation. To enhance sound quality, the amplifier inherits Denon's UHC-MOS Single Push-Pull output circuit and features newly engineered construction, forming a solid foundation for pure, clean sound quality. This high-performance component includes special anniversary tuning, superior construction and parts, including a larger, upgraded speaker terminal, cast iron footing for less vibration and higher sound quality. The PMA-A100 is designed to perform seamlessly in an integrated home entertainment system with its anniversary partner, the DCD-A100 CD/SACD player. Featuring Advanced AL32 Processing, a highly accurate master clock and the latest 32Bit/192 kHz DA converters to dramatically boost the quantity of digital audio information and ensure audio accuracy, the DCD-A100 also includes a new advanced S.V.H. drive mechanism that guarantees accurate and high quality playback of SACDs and CDs. It is equipped with a full complement of digital input ports, including a USB port for connecting an iPod or USB memory. Like the PMA-A100, the DCD features a 100th anniversary signature badge affixed to its black high-gloss front panel. Enjoy the Music.com has reviewed the Denon DVD-5900 universal player with Underwood/Parts ConneXion Level 2 mods (click here), the Denon DVD-9000 DVD player and the Denon Professional DN-C640 network CD player .

http://audioaficionado.org/denon/523...ming-soon.html

-E- 08-28-2010 03:01 PM

LOL at the price of the integrated to $2499.

What are these people thinking?

Dj_AmTraX 08-28-2010 04:45 PM

I don't understand the pricing model. The integrated is nothing more that a rebadge PMA-2000ivr which I own for $600.

jdandy 08-28-2010 06:12 PM

The only piece of Denon gear I have ever owned is the Denon DVD-2800. I still use it in my office to play CD's. It also decodes and plays HDCD's. I have it connected directly to my HeadAmp headphone amplifier, and it sounds very good. Other than this one piece, I have passed on Denon.

turntable 09-03-2010 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 103139)
DJ.......You are right about the site. For that kind of development expense it could have been much better.

http://www.wirefresh.com/images/deno...-turntable.jpg .. http://www.wirefresh.com/images/deno...urntable-1.jpg

Unfortunatey mutton dressed up as lamb. unfortunate

Still-One 09-03-2010 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turntable (Post 104752)
Unfortunatey mutton dressed up as lamb. unfortunate

What, you don't think it will be the basis for the next McIntosh TT if they ever decide to sell another one. :D

Handlebar 11-18-2010 10:46 PM

that AVR A100 is pretty nice too..latest/greatest audio decoding..external amplification capable, with 2 sub woof connections and best of all, it uses the abchor bay video processor/upscaler.
best bang fer the buck Denon AVR is the 2310 as the 2311's are out and can be had for about 1k.
Hell, I dint even know denon been around a 100 yrs.. lol

Volks 11-29-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 103139)

Dan i seen and heard this TT and beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course.........and for me it is very,very ugly and the sound was NOT on par with a TT of this price $2000-$2500K...........its also Made in China which kind of surprised me considering their other 100 Year anniversary gear is Made in Japan...........this TT has a very cheap feel and look to .The price should be $799 or there abouts.God its ugly

cmalak 11-29-2010 02:37 PM

The tt is a rebadged Denon DP-500 which used to sell for $799 I believe. They just dressed it up in a high gloss plinth and decided to charge an extra $1,700 for the priviledge :icon_thumbsdown:

Volks 12-02-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 121577)
The tt is a rebadged Denon DP-500 which used to sell for $799 I believe. They just dressed it up in a high gloss plinth and decided to charge an extra $1,700 for the priviledge :icon_thumbsdown:

i agree 100%

Dj_AmTraX 12-02-2010 01:42 PM

Thumbs down for Denon.

delp 12-15-2010 03:08 PM

FYI---I've had a chance to extensive listening to Denon's DCD-A100 and it is very, very good. So smooth, yet with deeply revealing details, both instrumental and spatial.

Also it has amazingly extended and tight bass. It's bass response also blends very well
with the lower mid-range. It's lower treble/uppermost mids were a little peaky at first, but that coloration has been mainly burnished off with about 150 hours of play time. NOTE--this small peak had a very narrow notch and was not a ringing resonence that affected frequencies around it. All-in-all a real sweet player with RB CD's and SACD's.

Handlebar 01-01-2011 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handlebar (Post 119114)
that AVR A100 is pretty nice too..latest/greatest audio decoding..external amplification capable, with 2 sub woof connections and best of all, it uses the abchor bay video processor/upscaler.
best bang fer the buck Denon AVR is the 2310 as the 2311's are out and can be had for about 1k.
Hell, I dint even know denon been around a 100 yrs.. lol

oops.. I meant the 4310 if one can be found. They were going for about 1k.
hbar

ian@pmc 02-25-2011 04:41 PM

That integrated, for the price and what it is, looks really lame... This coming from someone interested in Integrated amps.

Dj_AmTraX 02-25-2011 04:53 PM

The turntable is nice. I saw it in person the other day. It's huge!

Lon 06-11-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delp (Post 125424)
FYI---I've had a chance to extensive listening to Denon's DCD-A100 and it is very, very good. So smooth, yet with deeply revealing details, both instrumental and spatial.

Also it has amazingly extended and tight bass. It's bass response also blends very well
with the lower mid-range. It's lower treble/uppermost mids were a little peaky at first, but that coloration has been mainly burnished off with about 150 hours of play time. NOTE--this small peak had a very narrow notch and was not a ringing resonence that affected frequencies around it. All-in-all a real sweet player with RB CD's and SACD's.

I bought one of the DCD-A100 SACD players when they were discontinued and discounted to 1500 dollars. I think it's an excellent player, so well constructed, and I agree with your assessment of the sonics. I like it more than I did the Sony SCD-XA5400ES i had. I use my PS Audio DAC Mk II and Transport for Redbook, though the Denon Redbook sounds good, it's no match for the PS Audio Duo. But the SACD sound after hundreds of hours is very very good.

FreddieFerric 02-14-2018 05:17 PM

Moving on to 2018. My DCD A-100 is crapping out. Like others, I bought the unit after the 100th anniversary had passed and got a big discount on it. (I also picked up the DL A-100 MC cart for a song as well)

It's a very good player, but it started skipping on hybrid SACD's. Now it's getting fussy reading redbook CD's as well. Just before the 5 year warranty expired, I contacted Denon to set up a warranty service on it. My customer service experience was nothing short of abysmal. Denon had absolutely no record that they ever made a DCD A1-100 (I am not kidding about that). Finally, the rep just gave me a service authorization number and told me to box it up and send to their New York facility. I was so underwhelmed by the whole experience that I didn't send it in. Now the warranty has expired and it's skipping as bad as ever.

I'm concerned the mecha unit needs to be replaced and those are pretty costly. I'm thinking of bringing it in to my local repair shop. If it can't be fixed on the cheap I'll probably just replace it with an OPPO UDP 205.

Denon and I have hit a dead end in our relationship. :sigh:

rnrmf1971 02-14-2018 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 899455)
Moving on to 2018. My DCD A-100 is crapping out. Like others, I bought the unit after the 100th anniversary had passed and got a big discount on it. (I also picked up the DL A-100 MC cart for a song as well)

It's a very good player, but it started skipping on hybrid SACD's. Now it's getting fussy reading redbook CD's as well. Just before the 5 year warranty expired, I contacted Denon to set up a warranty service on it. My customer service experience was nothing short of abysmal. Denon had absolutely no record that they ever made a DCD A1-100 (I am not kidding about that). Finally, the rep just gave me a service authorization number and told me to box it up and send to their New York facility. I was so underwhelmed by the whole experience that I didn't send it in. Now the warranty has expired and it's skipping as bad as ever.

I'm concerned the mecha unit needs to be replaced and those are pretty costly. I'm thinking of bringing it in to my local repair shop. If it can't be fixed on the cheap I'll probably just replace it with an OPPO UDP 205.

Denon and I have hit a dead end in our relationship. :sigh:

That stinks. I can't believe the service you received about a so-called worldwide special edition.

I owned the same player for a couple of months when it was released but didn't think it was special sounding enough to keep versus my Oppo BDP-95. It was disappointing because I thought the player looked really nice.

Allan W. 02-14-2018 11:11 PM

I have an older DP-500m which is almost identical to the DP-A100. The arm appears to be upgraded at the base. The arm on mine was pretty darn weak and I changed it to a Jelco 750sa. The motor is the same as in the Audio-Technica LP1240. The link below shows pictures, before and after.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...#post-16857342

FreddieFerric 02-15-2018 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 (Post 899500)
That stinks. I can't believe the service you received about a so-called worldwide special edition.

I owned the same player for a couple of months when it was released but didn't think it was special sounding enough to keep versus my Oppo BDP-95. It was disappointing because I thought the player looked really nice.

Yeah it sucks. Demon was really slick about those products. They created their own separate website for the 100th Anniversary and made you register the product there. Then after the anniversary was over, whoosh... the website disappeared. Apparently taking the product registration with it. :icon_thumbsdown:

FreddieFerric 03-01-2018 04:46 PM

Well, I brought the DCD A-100 to a local repair shop to see if they could fix it. If the repair estimate comes back any higher than $350 I’m just going to flog it and by the Oppo 205.

FreddieFerric 03-29-2018 03:18 PM

^^Update. Got the Denon back from the shop. Voltage to the laser was too low. Replaced the power supply and she’s singing again. :thumbsup:

rnrmf1971 03-29-2018 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 908658)
^^Update. Got the Denon back from the shop. Voltage to the laser was too low. Replaced the power supply and she’s singing again. :thumbsup:

Nice! Congrats on getting it back!

FreddieFerric 03-30-2018 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 (Post 908750)
Nice! Congrats on getting it back!

Thanks! And the repair only cost a slim $119. :thumbsup:

UPDATE: The Demon is skipping again. I suppose the laser is crapping out. The repair shop told me that was a possibility. I wonder what it would look like if I took my M400 to it.
UPDATE 2: Laser assembly replaced. It's been six months now and she's still zipping along. I bought the Oppo 205 anyway.