AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   The Best Listening Session Of My Life!!! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=8229)

Alberto 05-03-2011 11:12 PM

The Best Listening Session Of My Life!!!

<< Jerome - I recommend you don't read this! :no: >>

In past two days, the Shindo Cortese proved itself as an amp that could deal very well with lesser recordings of great music, and it was now time to test it with great recordings of great music and with an extended and focused listening session.

So, last night, after dinner, I retreated to my listening room, put Pink Floyd's "The Wall" on my turntable, turned off the lights and sat in my listening chair.

For the next couple of hours I was transported to a sonic nirvana that I thought was not possible in my 11' x 14' x 9' room. The soundstage extended so far beyond the walls that they actually disappeared - sonically speaking (the fact that I was listening to "The Wall" was not lost on me.)

But it did not stop there. The ceiling also disappeared. The vertical sound stage extended well above the ceiling. There is a "sonar-like" ping sound in the track "Hey You!" that seemed to emanate from 30 feet in the air ... just above my head.

The images in the soundstage were incredibly solid and holographic. Each sound came from a distinct place, with its own identity and sonics. It did not sound like two speakers emulating multiple sound sources, it sounded like multiple and distinct sound sources.

All of the above was bathed with a warm and totally fulfilling bass - smooth and continuous and/or full of impact and chest thumping pressure depending on the material.

I have listened to "The Wall" countless times; on my systems, on other people's system, in stores with mega$ systems, with speakers and with headphones, but I've never heard it sound like this.

I sat transfixed the whole time. I had to believe what I was hearing, but I couldn't - and still can't - quite understand how and why the Cortese can pull this off. And I know it was the Cortese because that's the only component I've changed in the system.

A couple of times I checked the sound levels and I was surprised it was barely touching 85dbs! The volume knob on the preamp was just below the "noon" position. This surprised me, it sounded so rich that 85 dbs was completely and entirely fulfilling.

I have been transported by music many time, but never quite like this. I can't imagine a better or more fulfilling sound than this. I kept telling myself "wow" -- and other expletives that I'd rather not repeat.

This was - by a huge margin - the best listening session of my life. It exceed any reasonable - or unreasonable - expectations. Any doubts I may have had about going to an all tube low-power amp + high-efficiency speakers evaporated last night. The ability to get amazing sound and room pressurization with 10+10W and 90db speakers trumped the weakness of having a small room -- perhaps it turned a small room into a huge advantage.

With the right recording, the Cortese with the Tannoys took the room out of the equation in a way I would have never thought possible. I've read in the past reviewers making comments like "Not only the speakers disappeared, the room itself disappeared." I always thought "That must be nice." Now I can say "Yes, that IS nice, make that: that is GREAT!"

I know this is a bit of an indulgent post. But I had to share this with someone and I know many of you will understand this kind of sonic joy. It makes the money and time we spend on this hobby all worthwhile.

Thank you for listening.

Alberto

Masterlu 05-03-2011 11:35 PM

Alberto... Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience and enlightenment.

cmalak 05-03-2011 11:40 PM

Alberto...right on :thumbsup: Your joy and excitement is palpable. Nice to see you are enjoying the heck out of the Cortese mated to the Tannoys. Enjoy!

JJinID 05-03-2011 11:48 PM

Congratulations Alberto! It's been a lot of fun to read about and follow your audio journey and I'm very pleased to hear that it has led you to the point that you have reached tonight! :thumbsup: Happy listening :music:

f1 fan 05-04-2011 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberto
<< Jerome - I recommend you don't read this! :no: >>

In past two days, the Shindo Cortese proved itself as an amp that could deal very well with lesser recordings of great music, and it was now time to test it with great recordings of great music and with an extended and focused listening session.

So, last night, after dinner, I retreated to my listening room, put Pink Floyd's "The Wall" on my turntable, turned off the lights and sat in my listening chair.

For the next couple of hours I was transported to a sonic nirvana that I thought was not possible in my 11' x 14' x 9' room. The soundstage extended so far beyond the walls that they actually disappeared - sonically speaking (the fact that I was listening to "The Wall" was not lost on me.)

But it did not stop there. The ceiling also disappeared. The vertical sound stage extended well above the ceiling. There is a "sonar-like" ping sound in the track "Hey You!" that seemed to emanate from 30 feet in the air ... just above my head.

The images in the soundstage were incredibly solid and holographic. Each sound came from a distinct place, with its own identity and sonics. It did not sound like two speakers emulating multiple sound sources, it sounded like multiple and distinct sound sources.

All of the above was bathed with a warm and totally fulfilling bass - smooth and continuous and/or full of impact and chest thumping pressure depending on the material.

I have listened to "The Wall" countless times; on my systems, on other people's system, in stores with mega$ systems, with speakers and with headphones, but I've never heard it sound like this.

I sat transfixed the whole time. I had to believe what I was hearing, but I couldn't - and still can't - quite understand how and why the Cortese can pull this off. And I know it was the Cortese because that's the only component I've changed in the system.

A couple of times I checked the sound levels and I was surprised it was barely touching 85dbs! The volume knob on the preamp was just below the "noon" position. This surprised me, it sounded so rich that 85 dbs was completely and entirely fulfilling.

I have been transported by music many time, but never quite like this. I can't imagine a better or more fulfilling sound than this. I kept telling myself "wow" -- and other expletives -- that I'd rather not repeat.

This was - by a huge margin - the best listening session of my life. It exceed any reasonable - or unreasonable - expectations. Any doubts I may have had about going to an all tube low-power amp + high-efficiency speakers evaporated last night. The ability to get amazing sound and room pressurization with 10+10W and 90db speakers trumped the weakness of having a small room -- perhaps it turned a small room into a huge advantage.

With the right recording, the Cortese with the Tannoys took the room out of the equation in a way I would have never thought possible. I've read in the past reviewers making comments like "Not only the speakers disappeared, the room itself disappeared." I always thought "That must be nice." Now I can say "Yes, that IS nice, make that: that is GREAT!"

I know this is a bit of an indulgent post. But I had to share this with someone and I know many of you will understand this kind of sonic joy. It makes the money and time we spend on this hobby all worthwhile.

Thank you for listening.

Alberto

Alberto...you've found the delicious sound of Shindo. It's only gets better. Move up the preamp line and receive the Shindo interconnects with the Auditorium 23 speaker cables and Mr. T. You'll have a permanent smile on your face.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

Jerome W 05-04-2011 01:38 AM

Alberto,

Congratulations !!
You see, I read it. Your posts are too valuable to be missed !
Since I got the 2301's, I experienced many times the 3D image and incredible extension over the speakers. Sometimes I get a surround effect with sounds created besides me or even behind my head ! But that depends mostly on the recordings of course. I first thought it was the room, but I never got this with the 501's....
Before having these tube amps, I did not really care for stereo image.
I discovered with them that, like what you describe, a terrific stereo image is of prime importance : it gives you the illusion that you're listening to a live band and not to a system, and like you said, being elsewhere than in your room.
This is all what our hobby is about: escape !
Since I don't want to change my speakers, I wonder how a pair of push pull 80 W monoblocks from Shindo ( Corton Charlemagne I think, a wonderful wine BTW) would sound on my speakers ?? :scratch2:
Now I have my eyes on the Nagra 300p, since Shindo will be very difficult if not impossible to get here. A push pull and not a SET amp, but made of 300B.
It costs new the price of a second hand pair of 2301's. It is just 2 x 20W.
So it seems enough crazy to be done ! :D
I will go to listen to it when I come back from Chicago. I hope the dealer will be ok to let me try it at home.
Enjoy my friend !

Vintage Pete 05-04-2011 01:56 AM

Alberto....this is a most interesting read. I'd never even heard of Shindo until I started reading your posts....and you've got me curious about it. I wish you and I lived closer together so i could hear your setup-your room and everything in it looks most inviting, and I'm sure it provides a most enjoyable listening experience....and I'm a Pink Floyd kind of guy too! (I have 5 or 6 Floyd CD's, including The Wall).

There are times when I think really cranking up the system is actually NOT the best thing to do-as you mentioned at 85db things can be very enjoyable and can sound very rich and full. Delicate nuances that create that soundstage can be lost at very high volume levels. I also like late night, quiet listening with all the lights off.

Thanks for sharing....you've got me thinking of breaking out my copy of The Wall. It's been a while....

Pete

'cisco 05-04-2011 02:33 AM

Alberto....Congrats on finding a great combo of Shindo and Tannoy....:thumbsup:

I'm not a Pink Floyd fan but now you got me interested for a listen with that great write-up. :music:

Jerome W 05-04-2011 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'cisco (Post 162968)
Alberto....Congrats on finding a great combo of Shindo and Tannoy....:thumbsup:

I'm not a Pink Floyd fan but now you got me interested for a listen with that great write-up. :music:

I'm not either but "The Wall" is a must in terms of mastering.
I have it both lp and cd / SACD.

bradleyc 05-04-2011 10:34 AM

Congratulations Alberto! Maybe the destination is more fun than the journey :D

Jerome... I'm getting real nice 3-D holographics and spaciousness out of my 501's in combination with the C500T tube pre-amp, the old C46 made things more 2-dimensional but still sounded great.