AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Lamm (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Can we expect M1.2 replacement soon ? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=13391)

TOGA 04-07-2012 02:53 AM

Can we expect M1.2 replacement soon ?

Hi,

When I saw Stereophile review M1.2 in April 2012, I smell something.
They reviewed this wonderful amp once in 2005.
I remembered that Wilson Sophia 3 was introduced just a few months after
Stereophile wrote a short review of Wilson Sophia 2, and they praised them a lot, despite Sophia 2 were in the market for years already.
This is like they're helping manufacturer/dealers to clear all old stocks. I may be wrong, though, as LAMM may not stock too many products like larger manufactururer. It's just that Stereophile did it once prior to Sophia3 introduction.

Toga

Toga

Elberoth 04-08-2012 04:24 PM

Did they ever review other comonent TWICE ? (not talking about the follow up, but a full size review)

darkstar 04-09-2012 10:27 AM

This was one of the concerns I had before I bought my amps last year. I was told by my dealer that there was nothing in the works to update or replace the 1.2s.

Rich

thesaint519 06-27-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkstar (Post 295093)
This was one of the concerns I had before I bought my amps last year. I was told by my dealer that there was nothing in the works to update or replace the 1.2s.

Rich

I agree with your concern. I, too, was quite reticent about purchasing these amps after having been in the market for so long unchanged. And I do hope that Lamm allows this design to run as it's reference hydrid for many more years. No one wants to lose out financially, or get left behind technologically. But after adding the Transparent Reference cabling to the Wilson Sasha/Lamm stew, I think I can live with the M1.2s for the foreseeable future. I was able to secure my investment and greatly reduce (if not completely annihilate) my desire to upgrade with the addition of the right cables. The M1.2s resale value should be stabilized due to the latest review, I believe. But in the final analysis, if Lamm does update the M1.2s, and inevitably he will, the value of the updated version will ultimately be determined by the end user, no? :scratch2:

darkstar 06-27-2012 01:58 PM

Agreed.

These amps are built so well they will last a very long time. And I too absolutely love the sound of these amps. The LAMM/Wilson synergy is something very special. I hope to get there soon.

Having purchased my pair used, I too was able to secure my investment and mitigate the potential downside of any loss.

Which transparent series cables and IC's are you using?

Rich

thesaint519 06-27-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkstar
Agreed.

These amps are built so well they will last a very long time. And I too absolutely love the sound of these amps. The LAMM/Wilson synergy is something very special. I hope to get there soon.

Having purchased my pair used, I too was able to secure my investment and mitigate the potential downside of any loss.

Which transparent series cables and IC's are you using?

Rich

Reference MM1s all around. But I do intend on working my way up to Ref XL over time. If my system sounds this good with the MM1 version, I can only imagine what giant steps forward the equipment specific tuning and the MM2 technology will make. I can't wait. How about you?

darkstar 06-28-2012 08:47 AM

I have the much less expensive music link series, but certainly see me upgrading in the near future.

I am also very intrigued with the new Shunyatta Zitron series.

thesaint519 06-28-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkstar
I have the much less expensive music link series, but certainly see me upgrading in the near future.

I am also very intrigued with the new Shunyatta Zitron series.

Although I, too, am fascinated with Shunyata's new offering, it's unlikely that I'd ever make the jump because I'd need a 25 foot balanced IC run. Probably cost prohibitive. I'm believe Transparent is my final stop for cabling.

darkstar 06-28-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesaint519 (Post 330039)
Although I, too, am fascinated with Shunyata's new offering, it's unlikely that I'd ever make the jump because I'd need a 25 foot balanced IC run. Probably cost prohibitive. I'm believe Transparent is my final stop for cabling.

I woud think the SR cables are a lot less than the MM2 XL Reference calbes, no?

thesaint519 07-01-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkstar (Post 330051)
I woud think the SR cables are a lot less than the MM2 XL Reference calbes, no?

They probably are if I was buying them new. But I intend on updating my Ref. MM1s to Ref. MM2s first. Then over time, I'll upgrade them. I like the flexibility that this approach affords me. I do think, however, that the SR Zitron IC length I'd need to buy to replace my current TA cables would be more money. I've got a 25 foot run.