AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MB50 Setup Support (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41679)

Killergurt 12-28-2017 11:07 PM

MB50 Setup Support

Hey all you MB50 users out there,

How did you do it? I just got mine and I can not set it up, no matter what I do, it does not appear as a device in my "Networks" menu on my iPhone or iPad.

Followed the instructions to the letter, turned the device on, green wi-fi light is blinking (meaning that the MB50 is in setup mode), launched the Play-Fi app on my iPad, set up a new device and nothing. The MB50 can not be found and a result, it can not connect to the app of my home Wi-Fi.

I restarted the router, iPad and MB50 but nothing works. I am wondering if I am missing something or maybe I received a defective device?

I just ordered a USB to Ethernet adapter so that I can connect it with a wire and see what happens but I really want it to run on my wireless network.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Maks 12-28-2017 11:15 PM

Oof, I can see where this is going. Hopefully you can get it working. but wifi issues are a common theme with this product.

Killergurt 12-28-2017 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maks (Post 889089)
Oof, I can see where this is going. Hopefully you can get it working. but wifi issues are a common theme with this product.

It's very frustrating. I was hoping that any Mc product would "just" work out of the box :-/
Really don't want to return it but have no use for a pretty box that does nothing.

Cohibaman 12-29-2017 12:06 AM

MB50 Setup Support

Maybe I’m off-base here...

WiFi is great when it works and obviously far from good, sometimes completely horrible when it doesn’t work.

Isn’t that why you got the USB to ethernet cable adapter...to avoid Wi-Fi altogether?

Killergurt 12-29-2017 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cohibaman (Post 889099)
Maybe I’m off-base here...

WiFi is great when it works and obviously far from good, sometimes completely horrible when it doesn’t work.

Isn’t that why you got the USB to ethernet cable adapter...to avoid Wi-Fi altogether?

Yes, but I would prefer to use Wi-Fi as I need to run a cable from the floor below to my living room, where my MB50 is. Not a very elegant solution and I prefer to avoid it. I just don't understand why the MB50 is not discoverable at all. Also, I would prefer to save the single USB port on the MB50 to connect an external HD and not for the Ethernet adapter.

SAPHANA 12-29-2017 12:50 AM

Never used MB50, but am I missing anything here about the initial setup? Shouldn't you first connect it to your local network? For other streamers, one needs to either connect the devices using ethernet, or the devices themselves have keyboards to do that...

Mouse 12-29-2017 01:06 AM

Do you have multiple wireless wifi routers in your house?
I do and it matters which wifi network my phone is on to control my MX122. I can stream from my phone to my MX122, and mid song my phone will swap wifi networks on me.

Also you might have to go into the MB50 to find it's IP address in order to control it to change settings in the machine from the PC if it's like the MX122.

Killergurt 12-29-2017 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse (Post 889105)
Do you have multiple wireless wifi routers in your house?
I do and it matters which wifi network my phone is on to control my MX122. I can stream from my phone to my MX122, and mid song my phone will swap wifi networks on me.

Also you might have to go into the MB50 to find it's IP address in order to control it to change settings in the machine from the PC if it's like the MX122.

Hey Mouse,

I only have one router which covers the entire house (it’s a beast). The iPad and iPhone maintain the same wireless network with no issues. I thought that just by turning the MB50 on, it should become discoverable. It’s even before connecting it to WiFi.

Killergurt 12-29-2017 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAPHANA (Post 889103)
Never used MB50, but am I missing anything here about the initial setup? Shouldn't you first connect it to your local network? For other streamers, one needs to either connect the devices using ethernet, or the devices themselves have keyboards to do that...

The MB50 needs to be discovered in the wireless networks section of the phone. When you can see it, you're supposed to click it (as if you were choosing a wireless network) and then the Play-Fi app connects it to your "real" Wi-Fi network.
The problem that I am experiencing happens even before it needs to connect to the internet. It does not show up as a device at all.

jdandy 12-29-2017 01:48 AM

Gurt.......Silly, I'm sure, but you do have both of the WiFi antennas installed on the MB50, right? The manual also says it is advisable, during the initial communications setup, to physically locate the MB50 and the Wireless Router in close proximity to one another.