AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Focal Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Focal 807W (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=29389)

Formerly YB-2 12-11-2014 06:41 PM

Focal 807W

1 Attachment(s)
Have been looking around for a set ;) of speakers for my SET amps. Tried a pair of the new Klipsch Heresy and couldn't get them to work for my ears either on the floor or a couple of different stands. Guess I'm not a Klipsch person, though my brother's Chorus IIs sound decent in his system. Was looking at the Triangle Comete, which is also horn-loaded hybrid, but couldn't find any to listen to. But, having heard the Utopia and the Focal with the W mid-range/woofers I've been keeping my eye out for a pair and just found the 807W, their large-ish stand-mounted 2-way. With my slamming 20wpc of SET power, these 92db efficient speakers should be just the ticket. Will have them here next week and will post a pic or two. Not had a pair of "arrest me red" speakers before.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...1&d=1418337634

jdandy 12-11-2014 08:05 PM

Glenn.......Hot Lips Red. . :yahoo:

Glisse 12-12-2014 05:11 AM

The limited W series from Focal were a screaming bargain. They were sold for not much more than the cost of the mid/bass driver.

Not sure how they will go with a SET. My 300B could not get a balanced sound from my Electra 1007Be, which have the same mid/bass unit with the Beryllium tweeter. But then the crossover would be quite different. I think with a SET it comes down to the impedance curve and phase angle as much if not more than efficiency.

But then my SET only has a measly 8 watts compared to your powerhouse :)

Formerly YB-2 12-12-2014 09:31 AM

Yes........... that's the reason my current speakers aren't going anywhere until the 807Ws are fully broken in. Another reason I went for them is the price. Amazing clearance deals out there at the moment. There is a pair in walnut only 15min from the house, but they are $150 more then these were new, with free shipping. Wonder if my wife will notice the change from cherry veneer to 'hot lips red'? ;)

BAT, which is about ~45mi from where I live, uses(d?) the smallest of the floor-standing Utopia series (Diva?) in their demo room. They were about as good sounding to my ears as any speaker I've heard with their VK-55SE PP amp. Am hoping for similar results with my near-field listening in my 7' ceiling listen space.

cmalak 12-13-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glisse (Post 658046)
The limited W series from Focal were a screaming bargain. They were sold for not much more than the cost of the mid/bass driver. Not sure how they will go with a SET. My 300B could not get a balanced sound from my Electra 1007Be, which have the same mid/bass unit with the Beryllium tweeter. But then the crossover would be quite different. I think with a SET it comes down to the impedance curve and phase angle as much if not more than efficiency. But then my SET only has a measly 8 watts compared to your powerhouse :)

Exactly right. I hope it works out but what you should be listening for is not how loud the amps will drive the speakers (92dB with 20wpc should be more than adequate) but importantly if there are any tonal aberrations in the sonic presentation. Any impedance dips below 4ohms will give your amps a hard time, especially if there is tough phase angle load as well. If there are points in the frequency band where this happens, your amp will likely have a tough time providing enough current (amperes) into that load point, so the frequencies at those points will be attenuated. Without having the impedance curve in front of us, the most likely drop off points will be in the bass region(s) and this may result in a top-heavy, thin sound. If there are drop offs in the presence regions than the presentation will sound laid back, less forward than optimal. If it happens in the treble region(a), then speaker may lack sparkle, top-end sizzle and sound too polite.

Of course, I am just theorizing not knowing how tube-friendly the 807Ws are (without the impedance curve in front of us) but just trying to illustrate what you should listen for. Hopefully, it's a great match and you are very happy with the combo :thumbsup:

Glisse 12-14-2014 09:43 AM

I have seen some of the clearance deals that Glenn spoke of. Where I am, which is Focal territory, they were recognised as a bargain at the full price, and the various iterations sold out quite quickly.

So even if they are not a perfect fit with Glenn's SET, at the clearance price these are well worth having for a second / third system. They match perfectly with Arcam integrated amps, BTW.

John49 12-14-2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glisse (Post 658522)
I have seen some of the clearance deals that Glenn spoke of. Where I am, which is Focal territory, they were recognised as a bargain at the full price, and the various iterations sold out quite quickly. So even if they are not a perfect fit with Glenn's SET, at the clearance price these are well worth having for a second / third system. They match perfectly with Arcam integrated amps, BTW.

Glisse..... How do they like Simaudio Moon amps?

Glisse 12-14-2014 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John49 (Post 658554)
Glisse..... How do they like Simaudio Moon amps?

John, I have never heard any Simaudio amps. Their reputation seems to be for a clean and neutral sound, not sure whether that generalisation fits with what you hear from yours.

The inverted aluminium/magnesium dome tweeter that Focal have used can be aggressive with some amps. I think it needs a touch of warmth to balance out, and I am not sure Simaudio has that?

Although in the new Aria range, this tweeter seems much calmer (they changed the suspension).

This difference is quite significant. I use the Aria 906 with a small Naim system (UnitiServe/V1/NAP100) which is a well balanced and musical combination. Put an 8 series Focal, or an Electra series, and it is too bright/fatiguing for my taste. But the latter two balance nicely for me with an Arcam: A38 in my case. Which in turn sounds too thick and slow with the Aria. And so it goes :)

The W series mid/bass driver is punchier and more transparent than the new flax based drivers used in the Aria, as you would expect.

Formerly YB-2 12-14-2014 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 658324)
Exactly right. I hope it works out but what you should be listening for is not how loud the amps will drive the speakers (92dB with 20wpc should be more than adequate) but importantly if there are any tonal aberrations in the sonic presentation. Any impedance dips below 4ohms will give your amps a hard time, especially if there is tough phase angle load as well. If there are points in the frequency band where this happens, your amp will likely have a tough time providing enough current (amperes) into that load point, so the frequencies at those points will be attenuated. Without having the impedance curve in front of us, the most likely drop off points will be in the bass region(s) and this may result in a top-heavy, thin sound. If there are drop offs in the presence regions than the presentation will sound laid back, less forward than optimal. If it happens in the treble region(a), then speaker may lack sparkle, top-end sizzle and sound too polite.

Of course, I am just theorizing not knowing how tube-friendly the 807Ws are (without the impedance curve in front of us) but just trying to illustrate what you should listen for. Hopefully, it's a great match and you are very happy with the combo :thumbsup:

Thanks. If I hear anything that gives me pause I'll be putting them through their paces with the Stereophile test CD and RS sound meter. The CAD-572SE is know for being a very linear amp, which should help. If not, I'll toss in the SLI-80, which makes 40wpc (triode) or 80wpc (ultra-linear). Will likely try out the SLI-80 in any event.

cmalak 12-14-2014 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 658649)
Thanks. If I hear anything that gives me pause I'll be putting them through their paces with the Stereophile test CD and RS sound meter. The CAD-572SE is know for being a very linear amp, which should help. If not, I'll toss in the SLI-80, which makes 40wpc (triode) or 80wpc (ultra-linear). Will likely try out the SLI-80 in any event.

Sounds good Glenn...looking forward to your impressions. You should have enough amps to make this pair of speakers sing and from your and others' comments above, it sounds like a great little speaker. Enjoy :thumbsup: