AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Krell (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Power Cords for Krell Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=18731)

thezaks 01-23-2013 12:14 PM

Power Cords for Krell Amps

I have an S-1500, and I've been using the stock power cord, as recommended by Krell. They tell me that it's sonics are designed with the stock power cord, and I have to agree that it sounds good. They highly recommend their Vector power cord, and I'm going to try a new one out for a week to see if I like it.

Anyway, what do you recommend for a power cord that works well with Krell amps? Anyone else try the Krell Vector power cord?

Dave

deependx 01-23-2013 11:52 PM

I have and tried Nordost Valhalla PC, NBS Black Label II PC, and Shunyata Anaconda VX with my Evo I. I ended up with NBS Black Label II.

I have never tried the Vector PC so can't comment on it.

bodiezaffa 01-24-2013 12:49 AM

Ive ordered a Wireworld Silver Eclispe for my 302e. Im using the stock cord right now and will report if i hear any sonic differences

thezaks 01-24-2013 07:40 PM

Thanks guys! Wow, that NBS is pricey, but considering what you've tried, it must be a good match with the Krell. I look forward to hearing how the WW compares to the stock power cord. I should have a definite opinion about the Krell Vector power cord by next week at this time, as it is currently getting some nice break in.

Dave

Masterlu 01-24-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bodiezaffa (Post 431919)
Ive ordered a Wireworld Silver Eclispe for my 302e. Im using the stock cord right now and will report if i hear any sonic differences

BTW... It will be here tomorrow! :banana:

bodiezaffa 01-26-2013 12:06 AM

Yahoo:thumbsup:

thezaks 02-25-2013 04:00 PM

I've had my Krell Vector HC Power cord for a good period of time now, so I'm ready to report on it. During the first 100 hours, I was ready to send it back. It seemed very closed in. My experience with the Krell S-1500 showed me that the amp has a linear and balanced sound, which I very much like. The Vector didn't seem to follow that...at first.

Somewhere near the 100 hour mark, it finally opened up a bit. I was really happy about it, but I found that the bass was still not what I expected it to be, and there wasn't near the level of refinement that I was expecting. I swapped out my previous power cord to confirm my subjective opinions, and they were then confirmed, as I preferred my previous power cord.

At 150 hours, no change. Ready to send it back. Sorry, but I'm really picky! However, I was given another week or two to evaluate it, and I was just getting ready to go on vacation. I left my system on for the 4-5 days we were gone, and had my Father-in-law check on it during his daily house/dog check for us. By the time we got back from our trip, the Vector had about 275 hours on it. I put on a movie to play, while we were going in and out of the house to unpack the van, and I noticed a definite improvement. My wife and I then watched some shows that night, and it was definitely better.

Over the next few days, it continued to get better and better - more open, and the refinement was now there. It's been another couple of weeks, and I can now say that I really enjoy this power cord. I swapped it out with my previous reference, and it definitely beats it out now. Like the S-1500 amplifier, the power cord continues to provide improvements to the soundstage - not necessarily that much bigger, but more defined. What's nice is that it's not a thinner sound - it's still a full sound, a very robust sound. And it's linear and balanced throughout the frequency range. It is so nice to have everything you want from the high frequencies, but yet, they are not at all overbearing. They allow the midrange and bass to come through very nicely. And, the bass is outstanding as well.

I have to honestly say that this power cord goes very will with the Krell amplifier. The balanced and linear sound is addicting - it's very involving. For me, it's worth the price of admission.

If any of you venture to try one of these, make sure that you give it enough time before giving up on it. I'm glad I was given that extra couple of weeks - otherwise, I would not own this very fine power cord.

Dave

thezaks 02-25-2013 04:03 PM

By the way, I have the Vector HC power cord plugged straight from the S-1500 to the wall, as recommended by Krell. I tried plugging into my Chang Lightspeed power conditioner, but I preferred the wall.

Dave

thezaks 02-25-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bodiezaffa (Post 431919)

How's the power cord working out for you?

Dave

mb2 03-26-2013 08:21 AM

I never understood wearing out my system for 300hrs for breakin?