AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Speaker Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   New Speakers 5 year plan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46122)

joeling 06-25-2019 11:43 PM

New Speakers 5 year plan

I am sort of maybe looking for new speakers in the medium term future and would like some advice from esteemed members here.

My current system is listed in my signature.

I have had ProAc for the last 10 years and current pair for the last 5 years. Prior to that, I had DIY wide band driver Mitsubishi Diatone monitors.

I have a positive bias to warmer side of neutral. I listen to more vocals than percussions. I like soundstage and bass as much as the next guy but mid range / nice vocals is the 1st priority.

My room is medium / small measuring at (L x W x H) 25ft x 16ft x 10ft.

Budget is for now arbitarily set at USD80,000 - USD100,000.

Help me narrow the field of potential candidates. I loathe to change amps so candiadates have to match well with the Naim or Accuphase.

Much appreciated in advance for your advice.

PS : I may post similar requests in other forums so if u come across, please forgive me :redface:

2fastdriving 06-26-2019 12:19 AM

Wilson alexx is a perfect choice for the vocals you crave. I'm not sure what amps you have (accuphase?) or how well they will match up.

But what a speaker.

Of course you can save a lot of money and get the Alexia 2. I doubt it will disappoint you!

joeling 06-26-2019 01:34 AM

Thanks for the tip.

Weirdcuba 06-26-2019 06:58 AM

With that much lead time, you have the luxury of listening in person at shows and dealers, which I highly recommend. You also have the ability to watch the used market and snag something you like on the cheap. I bought speakers that retail for ~$100k at well less than that. I am, of course, obsessed enough to have them sitting in storage waiting on my room to be built to put them in.

Enjoy -you have time and options to find something you like and maybe save some money.

Charles 06-26-2019 01:41 PM

I don't see how you could go wrong with either an Alexx or Alexia 2. Many folks with really top notch systems choose the Alexia 2. I think one of the main differences is soundstage height. It will be higher with the Alexx but probably otherwise very comparable to the Alexx. For the money the Alexia 2 is one of the absolute best values on the market. Good hunting.

2fastdriving 06-27-2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 970382)
I don't see how you could go wrong with either an Alexx or Alexia 2. Many folks with really top notch systems choose the Alexia 2. I think one of the main differences is soundstage height. It will be higher with the Alexx but probably otherwise very comparable to the Alexx. For the money the Alexia 2 is one of the absolute best values on the market. Good hunting.

Funny, saying a 58k speaker is a "best value"! I have the series 1, and I think THAT is legitimately a best value :D You can get near-mint Alexia ones for the same price as Yvettes these days. I'm going with the Alexia's! :banana:

2fastdriving 06-27-2019 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 970340)
With that much lead time, you have the luxury of listening in person at shows and dealers, which I highly recommend. You also have the ability to watch the used market and snag something you like on the cheap. I bought speakers that retail for ~$100k at well less than that. I am, of course, obsessed enough to have them sitting in storage waiting on my room to be built to put them in.

Enjoy -you have time and options to find something you like and maybe save some money.

+1 on this. We can all throw around a bunch of brands and models in response to the OP but in reality this is the way to go. He's got 5 years and 100k to spend? Well then take the time...go to the shows, meet the makers, learn their philosophy, identify the brands and sounds you like best, and invest not only in good sound but a company that you respect and value. Hell if you are spending that much, pick a few manufacturers and arrange factory visits. I know it's relatively easy to visit Wilson Audio, I arranged that through my dealer and had a blast.:thumbsup:

audioguy3107 06-27-2019 01:21 PM

Meet us out at RMAF in Denver in September, we can give you all kinds of great ideas, although when it comes to spending others money, we’re not exactly the best influence. :D

- Buck

Antonmb 06-27-2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 970485)
...when it comes to spending others money, we’re not exactly the best influence. :D

- Buck

Au contraire my friend, we are absolutely the best influxes - we can help others spend their money better than anyone!!!

Yes, join us in Denver to explore options.

audioguy3107 06-27-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 970500)
Au contraire my friend, we are absolutely the best influxes - we can help others spend their money better than anyone!!!

Yes, join us in Denver to explore options.

Remember I was apparently the instigator of the group. Stay away from me!

- Buck