AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Tannoy Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=163)
-   -   Kensington GR questions (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=30747)

BeerCan 03-19-2015 08:20 AM

Kensington GR questions

Now that I have decided on speakers for my upstairs (Focal Electra) I am starting my pursuit of my main living area speaker.

One speaker high on the list is the Kensigton GR and I had a couple of questions from current owners.

How do they sound off axis? Listening in this room is rarely done in one spot due to different activities that may be going on

How much do the covers affect the sound? My wife does not like the look of plain drivers.

(don't kill me) How do they sound with normal TV/Movies, not the earth shaking bass stuff but normal dialog?

Does the walnut seem to darken with age?

I am trying hard to find a place to demo these but this particular speaker is very hard to find in my area.

NZ421291 03-19-2015 06:13 PM

I've listened to the SE Version extensively, which I thought was a wonderful speaker- articulate with tight, defined base response. They sounded fine off axis & the speaker covers are more sound transparent than the ones on my previous Sonus Fabers Grand Piano's.

If anything, the new GR's should sound even better!

I was very tempted to purchase these, but went for a second hand pair of Canterbury 15's which were less than half the cost of the new Kensington's - mainly because I like BIG speakers (my wife reckons I'm compensating for a part of my male anatomy- she's such a wit!).

The walnut on my Canterbury's is much darker than the newer SE/GR versions so Im pretty sure the walnut does darken over time.

BeerCan 03-22-2015 01:39 PM

Thanks for the info. I would love to step up to the Canterbury but they go out of my price range and the used market here is non existent. I am pretty close to ordering these for my new house, they seem like the perfect fit and the wife likes the way they look so that is bonus.

NZ421291 03-22-2015 05:02 PM

You cant go wrong with the Kensington's.

What are you going to drive them with?

BeerCan 03-22-2015 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NZ421291 (Post 685587)
You cant go wrong with the Kensington's.

What are you going to drive them with?

Still on the search for the amp that will ultimately drive the Tannoy.

Right now it will be a tossup between my L-590ax and my Unison Unico.

BeerCan 03-24-2015 03:55 PM

OK Order made :)
I think they have to ship from England so it may be a few weeks until I get them.

NZ421291 03-24-2015 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerCan (Post 686142)
OK Order made :)
I think they have to ship from England so it may be a few weeks until I get them.

The wait will be torture- Im looking forward to your review once set-up & photos!!!

BeerCan 03-29-2015 08:12 PM

Good news for me, Tannoy has a pair of these in the states so my wait will not be that long. I will probably have them by the time I move into my new residence. :)

Bluemcintosh 04-04-2015 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerCan (Post 687728)
Good news for me, Tannoy has a pair of these in the states so my wait will not be that long. I will probably have them by the time I move into my new residence. :)

Congrats. Excellent speakers. Looking forward hear your impression and pics :thumbsup:

TWiiii 04-04-2015 05:27 PM

Well if the walnut is anything like the walnut on my Concert Grands 46 yrs and the Blackwalnut in my motor home 11 yrs, the walnut either stays the same or lightens. The speakers have a piano finish that is 30 years old and the motor home has an acrylic finish thats 11 years old. The walnut in the Motor home is solid up to 3/4 inch with some 2 x 2'. The Grands front of Moorish design is 1 inch thick with the sides and top being veneered. Both are exposed to direct sunlight throughout the day when the blinds or curtains are opened.