AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   What Do You All Do With Busted Audio Equipment (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51020)

FreddieFerric 04-04-2022 12:45 PM

What Do You All Do With Busted Audio Equipment

My media room is getting stacked up with broken equipment. Presently I have an Infinity PS-12 subwoofer with a blown plate amp. I also have a Def Tech SuperCube III with a blown plate amp. I have a Marantz SR 6005 AVR with a bunch of HDMI outputs that don't work, although the analog outputs do work.

Does this stuff have any value or should I just dump it? Anyone in a similar situation? What do you guys do?

carlthess50 04-04-2022 05:51 PM

I try to say mine for parts or to repair for a later time. And most audio stuff has some value to someone. Those subs can have the amps replaced or run passive, the avr I’m not to sure if it’s worth the repair cost

Formerly YB-2 04-04-2022 06:51 PM

I have a couple of excellent tech's fix mine. Of course, they both only work for folks they know and I have to drop off and pick up the gear as they won't accept shipments as both do not wish to deal with all that receiving and shipping entails. Unfortunately, the best tech I've ever used retired a few years ago (he is an engineer and was enticed out of working for himself by the proverbial offer that was "too good to turn down"). Our loss as he would ship.

Midwest Speaker in MN is well respected for speaker work if you think it worth the cost to ship (rount-trip). Forgotten the fellow's name on the AK forum that is in GA. He did an excellent job refoaming and re-expoxying the woofers on my Yamaha NS-1000 speakers some years ago (when shipping was reasonable). If serious, I'll dig up his contact info.

The ridiculous cost of shipping is making the decision on these issues a real question today. A few hundred for repair added to a few hundred in shipping makes a new unit more attractive.

Grasshopper 04-06-2022 11:21 PM

Craigslist!

W9TR 04-07-2022 11:54 AM

If the stuff is broken it is almost impossible to sell. Plate amps are not too expensive and usually easy to replace. Then you have to decide if the sell price of the finished unit will be enough to recoup the plate amp investment. Or give to a friend in return for favors granted, that kind of thing.

The receiver is a lost cause, IMO. Worthless.

Ankkor 04-07-2022 12:18 PM

Electronics area at the town recycling station

field 04-29-2022 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 1058469)
My media room is getting stacked up with broken equipment. Presently I have an Infinity PS-12 subwoofer with a blown plate amp. I also have a Def Tech SuperCube III with a blown plate amp. I have a Marantz SR 6005 AVR with a bunch of HDMI outputs that don't work, although the analog outputs do work.

Does this stuff have any value or should I just dump it? Anyone in a similar situation? What do you guys do?

Repairing equipment if you wish to do it is helped by having the schematic , or to be in contact with manufacturers and designers. hi fi engine is a great resource for this, as you can usually access a schematic and the manufacturers contact details are provided.

It also helps when you repair equipment to then reflect on the quality of what you are buying, so it is less likely to occur, to have to repair equipment in the future