AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Classe' Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Classe CP-800 users? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=16558)

jeffkrag 03-07-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlxG (Post 455752)
I'm concerned with low input impedance of my amp especially when using it in a bi-amp configuration. It's the same amp as Sim Aurora.

In a typical bi-amp configuration, the preamp Y-splits the output into 2 signal paths and sees only half of the load impedance (11 kOhms input impedance of my amp) which is a pretty tough load for many preamps. As of results, the amp will sink too much current and will not sound anemic (lifeless/lacking appropriate dynamics).

Does anyone know if the CP-800's AUX XLR output signal path is routed (Y-split) at the input or the output stage/s? If the signal is split prior to the output stage, then I think the main Left/Right and Aux XLR outputs will be buffed and have enough current to drive my amp.

Call or email Classe service directly. They are excellent and very responsive to emails.

AlxG 03-07-2013 08:36 PM

Thanks for all of your feedback. I'll be ordering AV8801 in the next 2~ 3 weeks. Based on on my overall goals, I think the CP-800is the best possible solution.

Too bad that my speakers drop down to 2.3 Ohms from 50Hz to 160Hz and force me into bi-amping them with very powerful amps. The difference in shear dynamics and midrnge clarity is quiet evident between the single amp w/cross-links attached vs. bi-amplified configurations.

transaminasi 03-13-2013 12:39 PM

How do you judge the dac of the CP800?

mbovaird 03-13-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by transaminasi (Post 459280)
How do you judge the dac of the CP800?

The DAC is quite good. It's not a SABRE DAC (which is not good IMO). Compared to DAC's in the $2000+ range - it can't compete. But in the $1000 range - it holds its own.

Poppyhome 03-13-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbovaird (Post 459405)
The DAC is quite good. It's not a SABRE DAC (which is good IMO). Compared to DAC's in the $2000+ range - it can't compete. But in the $1000 range - it holds its own.

That's quite dissappointing. I thought this was Classe' best digital sound to date. I was always impressed with their flagship Classe' CDP-202 CD player, which I owned, and I thought this would be an upgrade. :scratch2:

Ron

mbovaird 03-13-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poppyhome (Post 459424)

That's quite dissappointing. I thought this was Classe' best digital sound to date. I was always impressed with their flagship Classe' CDP-202 CD player, which I owned, and I thought this would be an upgrade. :scratch2:

Ron

Ron - my other DAC is a $16,000 DAC2X. The DAC in the CP800 is quite good. But if you're expecting a $10,000 DAC in a $5,000 unit which includes bass management, a plethora of both digital and analog inputs and oh, just so happens to be a preamp too (and a great preamp), you will be disappointed. I have no doubt it betters the DAC in the CDP-202, which I once owned about 5 years ago.

Mike

KMC45 03-13-2013 06:24 PM

Mike,

On another forum you were bragging about the DAC in the CP-800 and some guy posted that it was nothing more than an IPOD quality DAC. I don't know if the guy was right or wrong, but I never saw you make another post in that thread.

Was that guy right?

Poppyhome 03-13-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbovaird (Post 459428)
Ron - my other DAC is a $16,000 DAC2X. The DAC in the CP800 is quite good. But if you're expecting a $10,000 DAC in a $5,000 unit which includes bass management, a plethora of both digital and analog inputs and oh, just so happens to be a preamp too (and a great preamp), you will be disappointed. I have no doubt it betters the DAC in the CDP-202, which I once owned about 5 years ago.

Mike

Mike.....I was just concerned that you mentioned it on par with $1,000 DACS. I know this is Classe' newest pride and joy.....which is now a few years old. I had a hard time trying to best the CDP-202 sound and the Berkeley DAC certainly didn't do it for me. Classe also mentioned it as their best preamp to date........which is no small feat. So as a combo unit it certainly must be dynamite.

Ron

mbovaird 03-13-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMC45 (Post 459432)
Mike,

On another forum you were bragging about the DAC in the CP-800 and some guy posted that it was nothing more than an IPOD quality DAC. I don't know if the guy was right or wrong, but I never saw you make another post in that thread.

Was that guy right?

No. It's a good DAC - but it's not a DAC2X. That's my point. I would compare it to SS DACS I've owned in the under $2,000 category. I think its fair to say its equivalent DACS in the under $2,000 category. It's a good DAC in a $5,000 MSRP preamp. I prefer it to the SABRE DAC. Is it a DAC2X or dCS beater? Heck no.

Compared to the DAC in my Oppo 95 and 105, (which I have compared head to head), the CP800 is better.

Having played songs from my iPhone, uh, yes, the cp800 is much better. Much more natural sounding. Better bass. Better soundstage.

Given the bass control, analog and digital inputs and a good DAC, the CP800 is an amazing preamp at $5k. Add to that the CP800 has black black backgrounds and a wide soundstage and played on par with my C1000P and its a ridiculously good preamp value.

Mine is going no where.

Masterlu 03-13-2013 07:20 PM

transaminasi... Welcome! :wave: