AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   New NR series power cords compared to the older Alpha and Sigma series. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=39623)

sander 06-10-2017 11:11 AM

New NR series power cords compared to the older Alpha and Sigma series.

Hi Caelin and Grant,

I was looking at the specs of the New NR series and i wondered if, for example, the new Alpa NR could be considered (performance wise) as a combined version of the older Sigma Analog and Sigma Digital?
And the new Sigma NR could be considered as a refined version of the older Sigma HC?

If that's the case, i think that would be a good reason for a celebration!

I hope you can give us an idea and a fair expectation of the performance of the new NR series in comparison with the older Alpha and Sigma series.

Thanks in advance for your time and responds.

Sander.

CGabriel 06-10-2017 11:19 AM

Start celebrating my friend. :banana:
You hit it straight on. :music:

As you know, we are constantly researching new technologies and materials in a quest to push the boundaries of performance. But more importantly we seek to improve manufacturing efficiencies and parts quality to drive down costs while improving performance.

We are confident we have achieved that with the new NR (Noise Reduction) and EF (Extreme Flexibility) power cables. And we have improved the noise reduction circuits to reduce the number of SKUs.

sander 06-10-2017 12:23 PM

That is wonderful news!
Except of course for your competition in the field, haha!

Other than that, i would like to say that this maybe a small step for the mp3/iPod listener, but a giant leap for us audiophiles!

GerardJ 07-28-2017 11:23 AM

Hello Caelin and Grant
For my Bryston BDP-2 music player I have planned an upgrade from a Alpha Digital to a Sigma Digital. But now you have introduced an new line of PC's I am wondering what to buy. A Sigma Digital or the new Alpha NR. Because the Sigma is a demo cord the prices are therefor almost the same. What would you advise?

Also, I need a power cord replacement for my Mark Levinson 37 CD-drive (currently with NBS mon1 PC). What Shunyata PC is the best choice for the ML?

Thanks again for your help.
Regards, Gerard

GrantS 07-29-2017 09:50 PM

Hi Gerard,

I would say the two power cords you have to choose from are comparable for that application. The same would be true for your 37 CD drive. If the 37 is used as a transport only, the Delta NR could be a lower cost consideration as well.

CD players, DAC's and pre-amps are sensitive to better DTCD (Dynamic Transient Current Delivery), so larger gauge in a power cord matters in terms of performance. For read-only, streaming, digital-signal output devices, gauge matters less and noise reduction matters more. The NR series have broader-band filtration and are pre-conditioned with the KPIP process, which are advances that allow less expensive NR models like Delta and Alpha to outperform their price-point. You can't go wrong with the Sigma Digital either though, so in terms of performance for your listed applications, you have two exceptional options.

Best regards,

Grant

GerardJ 07-30-2017 07:45 AM

Thanks Grant for your clear answer, as always! Regards, Gerard

goone 08-13-2017 10:49 PM

So which one to replace sigma digital? I need to use for my EMM dac
thnx

GrantS 08-14-2017 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goone (Post 861601)
So which one to replace sigma digital? I need to use for my EMM dac
thnx

For the EMM gear, I would recommend either the Alpha NR or Sigma NR, however if you already have a Sigma Digital, that would suffice as well. The NR Series offer a nice improvement over the previous generation at their respective price-points, but I wouldn't advise selling a Sigma Digital to replace with a Sigma or Alpha NR without an audition first.

Regards,

Grant

prepress 08-28-2017 11:07 AM

Hello,

I scored a Venom HC extension cord and was going to get a regular 20A Venom HC to go with it, but wanted to check into the new Delta NR/WF cords first. What gauge are they? Haven't been able to find that info. Thanks!

CGabriel 08-28-2017 11:18 AM

Check the website. The new site has just gone live.