AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Magico (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   Incoming... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=27954)

AndyPandy 08-12-2014 10:56 PM

Incoming...

In an effort to appease the Audio Gods (& my own neurosis) I decided a few weeks ago to change my entire system. It is something I do from time to time for no better reason than I can, and am curious to live with and enjoy different systems.

My last system was very retro - all vinyl into Quad 57's. I sold it lock stock and Stillpoints to a single buyer. It sounded excellent with good vinyl, if I say so myself. The caveat being the good vinyl and the associated expense and time consuming nature of that hobby.

Returning to computer audio after a break of several years, my directive was to create an elegant simple solution that would have the minimum impact on the domestic environment. Or in other words - no cables and wires hanging about the place, no ugly speakers and no monoliths in the living room. Petite and simple were my goals.

i also looked at 5.1 as I have been heavily influenced of late by Kal's writings and enjoyed the auditions I conducted with 5.1 music. However, domestic reality and bank account restrictions soon put pay to that idea. Plus I have a couple TB of music in stereo and precious little surround sound, so it made sense not to embark on yet another voyage of discovery in the digital realm.

So this is what I have come up with:

Antipodes DXe Server - Devialet 120 + SAM - Magico s1.

I'm hoping to hide the Antipodes & Devialet in the entertainment unit and just have the Magico's either side of it (with the telly in the middle). This has two advantages - firstly the wife doesn't see it (and so I avoid her constantly being reminded of my audio spend) and secondly it preserves the minimalist aesthetic we have going on in our apartment.

I chose Magico for a big sound from a small form factor, ease of positioning, SAM integration with the Devialet, and general excellence: there isn't much it doesn't do, and very well. Build quality is superb, and resale, should that be a consideration, excellent.

I choose the Devialet mainly as I like the black inky backgrounds which is suited to my listening interests, being Classical & Opera. The dac isn't the last word, but it is perfectly listenable. I am also particularly interested in the SAM technology, that appears to overcome many of the disadvantages of a passive loudspeaker design. The 120 is the least expensive of the models, and the least feature laden, but should prove ample for my needs - the Magico's running 4 Ohms and the 120 putting out 180 watts into 4 ohms.

The original plan was to run directly from my Synology NAS via USB, using music player daemon of Minimserver in the NAS linux. Both work, and well, but the Antipodes adds a few things, and based upon ears that I trust, is said to be noticeably better as a transport/server than my NAS. So spent the extra.

Total cost was a smidgen over 22k. Of course compared to many around these parts that spend isn't even a speaker grill or a wheel hub, but I feel it should offer decent performance in a smallish (apartment) space while having minimal impact on living space.

Will post impressions once it is all hooked up. while I await the Magico's I am using my spare speakers - the charming Proac SA1. A lovely partner to Devialet and a superb sound for not much money.

Masterlu 08-12-2014 11:03 PM

Andy... Good for you, I'm looking forward to the pics and your listening impressions. :)

cma29 08-12-2014 11:33 PM

Sounds like a very reasonable approach, Andy.

By the way, $22,000 is not chump change. It's an important investment in something you love.

Antonmb 08-13-2014 01:27 AM

Sounds like a great system, looking forward to pictures and your impressions.

AndyPandy 08-13-2014 02:18 AM

Thanks Ivan, Carlos & Tony - should be a hoot.

Was torn between SF & Magico, but ultimately went with the S1's.

Well 20k is about what I have in my system at one time - give or take. With vinyl it is just very easy to get there very quickly..

bart 08-13-2014 02:38 AM

Andy, you're good to go again!
You have thought out a nice and practical compact system.
Good luck with it!
Maybe you'll stick a bit longer with this one... :scratch2:

AndyPandy 08-13-2014 03:06 AM

Quote:

Maybe you'll stick a bit longer with this one...
ha ha - maybe mate - maybe..

chessman 08-13-2014 05:40 AM

Andy, congrats!! I am impressed by your freedom from fear of change. I wish I had more of that.

Still-One 08-13-2014 07:56 AM

Andy
That sounds like a good system you have put together. As you note it will sound even better without having to listen to the significant other remind us of our constant gear swapping. :D

howiebrou 08-13-2014 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 630411)
Andy That sounds like a good system you have put together. As you note it will sound even better without having to listen to the significant other remind us of our constant gear swapping. :D

Andy,

Great minimalism. I have been intrigued by the Devialet for a while. Only the digitisation of lPs keeps me away. Let me know how the S1 s sound. I have considered going back to bookshelf speakers.

Cheers

Howie