AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Esoteric Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   I had my doubts, but the K-01Xs is incredible (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45140)

Gerry Higgins 02-15-2019 06:51 PM

I had my doubts, but the K-01Xs is incredible

Folks-

After reading the reviews in this forum about the quality of Esoteric products, I finally bought one but had my doubts because I had been using a dCS Puccini, then a dCS Vivaldi.

I have Ivan to thank for considering Esoteric after my local dealer and others had told me - "they sound too digital." BTW - I only use digital sources - I am not a vinyl person.

After picking one up the K-01Xs on a 125 lb pallet, and finally unbundled the beast, I found the sound a bit harsh. Instant buyer's remorse, but I picked up an Isotek break-in disk and have been running it night and day.

Today I played it on a variety of different musical genres after a 2-week wait, and the sound is the best I have ever heard! It does require a break-in period, but the sound now is spectacular, and I have sold off the dCS Vivaldi One.

Thank-you everyone! I am now in listening heaven. Thank-you so much - Gerry

-E- 02-15-2019 07:15 PM

So not to sound dickish or anything, but... yeah - like all of us saw that coming. ;)

2fastdriving 02-15-2019 07:32 PM

Congratulations! Now you need to get a clock! Haha

Higgens 02-15-2019 08:16 PM

Glad you found something you really like, Gerry. Good times ahead.

Antonmb 02-16-2019 12:35 PM

Excellent Gerry, it’s a great unit.

docmd2010 02-16-2019 07:32 PM

Yah get the Grandioso clock for it. should be awesome.

I have the heard that the grandioso P1 2 box set is even better.

SCAudiophile 02-16-2019 09:06 PM

Congratulations! And did someone already mention you should get a clock :-) ?

It never ends does it LOL?

jcandel 02-17-2019 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerry Higgins (Post 953493)
Folks-

After reading the reviews in this forum about the quality of Esoteric products, I finally bought one but had my doubts because I had been using a dCS Puccini, then a dCS Vivaldi.

I have Ivan to thank for considering Esoteric after my local dealer and others had told me - "they sound too digital." BTW - I only use digital sources - I am not a vinyl person.

After picking one up the K-01Xs on a 125 lb pallet, and finally unbundled the beast, I found the sound a bit harsh. Instant buyer's remorse, but I picked up an Isotek break-in disk and have been running it night and day.

Today I played it on a variety of different musical genres after a 2-week wait, and the sound is the best I have ever heard! It does require a break-in period, but the sound now is spectacular, and I have sold off the dCS Vivaldi One.

Gerry, Congratulations... I received my KO1xs in January.. Fantastic player. Now do yourself a favor and call Ivan and order a G02k clock. You will be in Audio Nirvana...

chadisrc 02-18-2019 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerry Higgins (Post 953493)
Folks-

Very envious Gerry, seriously though congrats. Since you have owned both the DCS Vivaldi and now the K-01xs, can you tell me why you prefer the Esoteric? I am just curious.

I have noticed that others on this forum have preferred the Esoteric over DCS as well. I would have thought that the DCS would offer some advantage because of the FPGA, and thus you can always upgrade the DAC.

SCAudiophile 02-19-2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadisrc (Post 953856)
Very envious Gerry, seriously though congrats. Since you have owned both the DCS Vivaldi and now the K-01xs, can you tell me why you prefer the Esoteric? I am just curious.

I have noticed that others on this forum have preferred the Esoteric over DCS as well. I would have thought that the DCS would offer some advantage because of the FPGA, and thus you can always upgrade the DAC.

My 2 cents on this having heard alot of DCS gear, EMM Labs and others and sticking with Esoteric....competition for Esoteric gear is replete with many examples (DCS, EMM, CH, MSB, etc...) that offer excellent playback. For me, my preference for Esoteric has always been around transparency, resolution top to bottom over the entire frequency spectrum including the best rendering of bass frequencies (fast, articulate, profound without bloat), imaging and 3D soundstaging. To my listening preferences, Esoteric does a better job than DCS and EMM Labs as they focus on what must be a different set of design goals and overall different output sonic signature. One year ago December I was fortunate enough to hear a top flight system in an insanely great custom-built room in MA. featuring 4-box DCS stack, Magico M3 with MPods and QSubs, Spectral Monos and Pre-amp and a 'just right' mix of top of the line Shunyata, MIT and WW cabling. A too die-for system that one would have a hard time picking apart any weaknesses in a room that frankly was my idea of audiophile Nirvana in terms of its huge size and overall acoustic properties. Spent 5-6 hours there planted in the chair fully enveloped in a top line DCS playback experience. If I'd never heard Esoteric, never owned, I would have thought it could be everything anyone could ever want (and it is...).

Less than 18 hours later I was at Ivan's hearing the Grandioso K1 and G1 clock and later the 4-box Esoteric stack in the Burmester Aida system and a brief stop in the TAD R1 system with Esoteric D02X DAC and C02X pre-amp. About as close an apples/apples comparison that is ever possible back to back separated by very little time in the middle so all listening impressions were still very fresh from the day before.

The Esoteric 4-box, 2-box and 1-box offerings have their own signature to be sure; I found myself continuing to come back to my preference for Esoteric's overall transparency, detail retrieval and resolution of the total dynamic spectrum more than what I'd heard from the DCS 4-box stack. It has that 'something extra' that appeals to me plus build quality and fit & finish that check the box with me in a way that other brands do not.

In short,...all these options are top of the stack. I've not even mentioned MSB, TotalDAC or CH that have seen many DCS and Esoteric owners wind up liking them more and jumping ship. They are all reputed to be fantastic products.

IMHO if you like a bit warmer more rounded playback experience (transient edges, midrange, a bit smoother etc..) DCS 4-box/in general and the Grandioso K1 (and EMM Labs) all are in the same realm. If like me and others you want more transparency and unbridaled, I would suggest Esoteric K-01xs, P-02X, D-02X or the 4-box stack is something you definitely want to listen to.

The best part of all these choices is there is no right or wrong,...great music comes out no matter which you choose; it's all a matter of personal preference.

FWIW...don't shoot the author :music: !