AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Tools, Storage, and Power (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Protecting your tools from rust (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40022)

The Lost Bears 07-23-2017 11:27 AM

Protecting your tools from rust

I inherited some tools that were kept in a basement workshop. Most are fine but a few like some of the Allen wrenches had light rust spots. I cleaned them up and now want to keep it from possibly happening again. My first thought was WD40. But maybe there is something better. What do you use to protect your tools?

Masterlu 07-23-2017 12:51 PM

You want this; I use it on my guns;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0029...HjL&ref=plSrch

Blueoak 07-23-2017 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lost Bears (Post 857405)
I inherited some tools that were kept in a basement workshop. Most are fine but a few like some of the Allen wrenches had light rust spots. I cleaned them up and now want to keep it from possibly happening again. My first thought was WD40. But maybe there is something better. What do you use to protect your tools?

Buy stainless steel tools and keep them stored well :thumbsup:

The Lost Bears 07-23-2017 03:45 PM

That's one of the the ways I keep my firearms shiny. I am a sucker for a stainless steal 45. But I have not had the problem of rust spots on my tools before. Just some of these that I was given. Seem to be mostly old Craftsman stuff. But then you can never have to many tools!

Thanks MasterlU. I am definitely ordering some.

Masterlu 07-23-2017 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lost Bears (Post 857484)
That's one of the the ways I keep my firearms shiny. I am a sucker for a stainless steal 45. But I have not had the problem of rust spots on my tools before. Just some of these that I was given. Seem to be mostly old Craftsman stuff. But then you can never have to many tools!

Thanks MasterlU. I am definitely ordering some.

Cheaper tools made of high carbon, are much more prone to rust. That said, I have zero rust issues with any of my tools; even those in hot/humid Florida. :)

GaryProtein 07-23-2017 04:06 PM

Stainless steel is not as hardened as other steels and will wear and strip sooner.

For light weight work some stainless is fine.

It's NOT fine if you're using it to change out your brake rotors or cylinder heads.

vegaracer1 07-24-2017 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryProtein (Post 857489)
Stainless steel is not as hardened as other steels and will wear and strip sooner.

For light weight work some stainless is fine.

It's NOT fine if you're using it to change out your brake rotors or cylinder heads.

Stainless steel is very hard,just try to drill it. The stainless comes from the high Chromium content.The high Chromium content makes it less flexible and will break before bending unlike mild steel. Rotors and cylinder heads are usually a cast iron also very hard but not flexible. Imop. As a welder this has been my working knowledge. P.S. I love stainless Steel, 304 or 316 is really nice material.

Audioraven 07-24-2017 06:01 PM

Hoppe's Lubricating Oil will also nicely preserve metal tools.

The Trace 07-24-2017 07:57 PM

There is a product called EZ-OX. It was meant as a lubricant/preservative. It sprays on and dries. You can see it on youtube going through salt spray tests. Military uses it. If not sprayed on thickly it pretty much dries leaving a protective coat. Most of us who have owned stainless guns/tools will say it is "stainless" not "stainproof" Ask a metallurgist.

quinlanmw 07-27-2017 08:52 PM

My Dad told me 50 years ago when he gave me my first box to put a lightly oiled rag in the bottom to protect my tools from rusting.

I still have that box, and those original Craftsman tools..no rust!:banana:

I agree that the stuff they put out now is crap.