AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wilson Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Will Sabrina rock? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41768)

PeterMusic 01-07-2018 06:24 PM

Will Sabrina rock?

OK--finally got the go ahead from my wife to buy a pair of Sabrinas with an MC275/C22 combo in what would be a dramatic upgrade from my current system. As virtually all of you can attest, they sounded heavenly on vocals, acoustic, and jazz recordings.

But then I asked to hear something with some bass--Talking Heads Stop Making Sense. Surprisingly, I was completely unimpressed, actually depressed. The attack was muted and indistinct compared to my B&W CM-1s with a REL T5 powered by an 50 wpc NAD. We then switched from the 8 ohm jacks to the the 4 ohm--that was better, but I was running out of time for a longer listen.

I know that all systems have strengths and weaknesses, but I'm concerned about making a significant bass sacrifice even as I increase the price level of my components nearly 10X.

Any thoughts on speakers or amp would be appreciated. A couple more details--I am already at the very top end of what I'm comfortable spending, so a second 275 is not in the cards. My room is fairly large--5400 cu ft in an L-shape with the speakers to be at bottom right side of the L.

Thanks!

Sharp 1080 01-07-2018 06:59 PM

Disconnect your subwoofer from the equation and what do you hear as a comparison? That is the reason you added the subwoofer is it not? Sabrina is a small speaker and I'm not familiar with the B&W CM1. Apples to Apples not Apples to Oranges.

PeterMusic 01-07-2018 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharp 1080 (Post 891119)
Disconnect your subwoofer from the equation and what do you hear as a comparison? That is the reason you added the subwoofer is it not? Sabrina is a small speaker and I'm not familiar with the B&W CM1. Apples to Apples not Apples to Oranges.

Thanks, but I already agree that in sum, the Sabrinas are WAY better than the CM-1's (terrific low-end stand-mounted B&Ws that retail for $1400). My question is on the Sabrinas themselves--is there a significant sacrifice compared to other $10-20K speakers with respect to bass? If yes, what might be suggestions for mitigating?

PHC1 01-07-2018 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterMusic (Post 891127)
Thanks, but I already agree that in sum, the Sabrinas are WAY better than the CM-1's (terrific low-end stand-mounted B&Ws that retail for $1400). My question is on the Sabrinas themselves--is there a significant sacrifice compared to other $10-20K speakers with respect to bass? If yes, what might be suggestions for mitigating?

Breaking it down, Sabrinas are 31 Hz – 21 kHz: +/- 3 dB, RAR (Room Average Response). Your room is 5400 ft. Mc275 puts out closer to 90w on healthy tubes but it is not a sledgehammer of an amp. That and Sabrinas dip to almost 2 ohms around 139hz. 3+ factors working against very deep bass response. Subwoofer is a must if your expectations are of very deep bass under those conditions.

vintage_tube 01-07-2018 07:45 PM

5400 Cu ft = 307 Sq ft

Did I understand that correct -- 5400 Cu ft (not Sq ft).

Best Sirs,

Bob

PHC1 01-07-2018 07:46 PM

Yes that must be cu ft of course.

Formerly YB-2 01-07-2018 07:59 PM

Check out some other speakers in that price range and see what you think. Vandersteen Treo CT or Quattro Wood are a couple that come to mind. I auditioned the Quattro Wood with a 75wpc tube amp and it was sublime. Lots of choices in that price range.

W9TR 01-07-2018 09:34 PM

PeterMusic,

The Sabrina's are not a good match for the MC 275. Sorry, but the impedance profile of the Sabrina just isn't tube amp friendly. Not just the 275. Any tube amp.

The good news is that you'll get that tube magic from a C22 and one of McIntosh's outstanding solid state amplifiers.

A lot of forum members here have hybrid tube / SS combinations and are more than happy with them. The best of both worlds.

The Sabrina is a fine speaker. It's bass driver is an 8" unit, certainly good for reasonable volumes in a normal room. It should sound fast, dynamic, and punchy.

It won't 'plumb the depths' as they say, so in a big room electronica and organ music may be too lightweight.

If your budget will allow for an MC 452, that would be a much better match for the Sabrina.

Rock on!

Tom

Mikado463 01-07-2018 09:35 PM

I agree with both Serge (PHC1) and Glenn (Formerly YB-2)

Dr Tone 01-07-2018 09:35 PM

Get your dealer to throw the MC452 on them for a listen. It should answer your question one way or another.