AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   PS Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2-Channel's questions for PPP owners (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=433)

Masterlu 04-21-2009 09:29 PM

2-Channel's questions for PPP owners

I would be most interested in reading how those of you who have the PS Audio Premier are using it within your system.

What is plugged into it?
Can amplifiers use the Premier or is it current depriving for amps?
Serge, are your Lamm's running through the Premier?

IF amps are the only component(s) not plugged into the Premier, I assume that they are direct plug-ins to 20-amp, dedicated wall circuits. And, if so, how does that impact the final output from the speakers since the other components are treated to perfect current and the speakers are left to survive off of the wall feed - good, perhaps great, or maybe bad .... ???

Masterlu 04-21-2009 09:33 PM

I run every single component other than amps thru the PPP, total now is 24 units. Each of my amps go through a RGPC 1200s & have an additional RGPC 1200s in parallel on the same circuit.

PHC1 04-21-2009 09:34 PM

I've tried both ways with the amps plugged in to PPP and straight to the wall. Obviously everything else is plugged into their respective IsoZones in the PPP. The powered JL Fathom subs are not plugged into the PPP as they are 1500w each... The Lamm's do sound just a touch more dynamic from the wall but I hear an improvement in the highs through PPP. The Lamm preamp is finicky and doesn't want to play nice with other gear so I had to isolate it from the amps for the time being by running the Lamm amps from the wall. The PPP can handle quite a bit of a load though, even amps. :yes:

Masterlu 04-21-2009 09:37 PM

hkval is using two PPP's for his rig which incorporates a pair of MC1.2KW's, C500, MDA1000, etc.

He split the load between the two PPP's and is adding a pair PS Audio Duets for surge protection.

jdandy 04-21-2009 09:50 PM

2-Channel.......If you are considering a Power Plant Premier, I would suggest you begin with one, play with all the options, and decide which seems the best way to go. I have my PPP supplying voltage to all my sources and preamplifier. The two MC501's are plugged directly into the wall. I am considering a second PPP for the power amps, but my system is sounding so good right now I really don't want to mess with adding anything.

hkval 04-21-2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 6860)
hkval is using two PPP's for his rig which incorporates a pair of MC1.2KW's, C500, MDA1000, etc.

He split the load between the two PPP's and is adding a pair PS Audio Duets for surge protection.

I just finished listening at a level never before experienced in this home - needles seemed to get up to 1,000 watts per side. Absolutely no issues except I will never crank it up to that level again because my cement block house might disintegrate. The PPP is amazing and I assume the new PS Duets will provide me with added surge protection and even some added THD removal. Coming in the THD was over 3.3 and is now .5 and .4, and the voltage coming out is exactly and consistently 120v. This was a great investment. I still cannot believe the sound quality.

jdandy 04-21-2009 10:50 PM

Howard.......So you tried to debunk the bunker, uha? Remember what happens to those overhead joists when the walls come tumbling down. :D

2-Channel 04-22-2009 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 6860)

Why would he require additional "Duets" with two PPP's already in place?

I visited the PS Audio website to read the descriptions of the PPP and the Duet. I did not see a specific reference in the PPP listing for surge and spike protection. The Duet does make this specific reference.

Does the PPP offer surge and spike protection?
How does the Duet offer surge and spike protection w/o having some level of output limitation?

Masterlu 04-22-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2-Channel (Post 7015)
Why would he require additional "Duets" with two PPP's already in place?

I visited the PS Audio website to read the descriptions of the PPP and the Duet. I did not see a specific reference in the PPP listing for surge and spike protection. The Duet does make this specific reference.

Does the PPP offer surge and spike protection?
How does the Duet offer surge and spike protection w/o having some level of output limitation?

The Duet offers the surge & spike protection which is why he is adding them. They have a user replaceable cartridge should they take a hit. The Duet is non-current limiting.

Still-One 04-22-2009 09:23 AM

All of these platitudes for the PPP are making it hard to keep one or more out of the system. I really do not want to add one for my sources because I know I will try it on each of the lines running to my amps to see what is going on. If they work in my system I have no idea how I would place them to look good. :scratch2: