AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sonus Faber (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   I Own Olympica III's - Which Models Above Those Can Work Well In A Smaller Room? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41939)

John Clark 01-22-2018 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 894212)
The Guarneri's are a great suggestion if they are stand alone. Adding subwoofers to great speakers is pretty hard to get right, comments from sub manufacturers to the contrary!

Do you find the O3 bass lacking? Or is it too much?

Tom

Bass is honestly very good given the size of the drivers. A Sonus Faber expert, and noted audio reviewer that I spoke to told me that adding a pair of subs to his home system, utilizing the Olympica III's, took things to another level entirely.

John

W9TR 01-22-2018 09:20 AM

I Own Olympica III's - Which Models Above Those Can Work Well In A Smaller Room?

Thanks John,

The reason I ask is that you get some 'room gain' at low frequencies in small rooms that can be used to good advantage.

Take a look at this info:
https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...dio-Subwoofer?

It is fairly technical but is the best treatise I've found on how to add a subwoofer to an existing two channel stereo system.

Tom

xv21 01-22-2018 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 894045)
As the title says, I am the current owner of a one year old pair of Olympica III's. I absolutely love these speakers, and they play beautifully in my room. Of course, you always wonder if even more Sonus Faber magic could be available?

I have heard Sonus Faber Olympica III and Serafino Tradition with McIntosh C52 and MC452 in same room. Olympica III was good, but Serafino Tradition was really good.

The Sonus Faber Serafino Tradition is heavier and slightly smaller than the Olympica III. If Olympica sounds good in your room, then Serafino Tradition should work also. Amati Tradition requires bigger room. I haven't heard Guarneri Tradition.

esteban 01-25-2018 03:35 PM

I own the Elipsas SE and they work well in my small room. The wide baffle actually helps in this case. Of course, they would be even better in a large room (if I ever move, these are coming with me), but they are quite a "flexible" speaker. Not sure why your dealer said the opposite.

esteban 01-25-2018 03:37 PM

Forgot to add that I have actually discussed the "Elipsas in a small room" topic at length, here:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=31783

1KW 01-25-2018 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 894045)
As the title says, I am the current owner of a one year old pair of Olympica III's. I absolutely love these speakers, and they play beautifully in my room. Of course, you always wonder if even more Sonus Faber magic could be available?

If I were to move to upgraded Sonus Faber speakers, I would certainly purchase them used, with an absolute maximum budget of, say, $18k. The following floor standing speakers can, at various times, be found between, 12k-18k, on a very good deal, used:

Elipsa SE
Amati Anniversario
Amati Futura
Stradavari Homage

Would any of these be capable of working well in my relatively small room? The room is 13x15x8. The Olympica III's were professionally set up so that they are 9 feet from the listening position, just over six feet apart, 3.5 feet from the sidewalls and two feet out from the back wall.

I suspect the Elipsa SE's are eliminated immediately based on what a Sonus Faber dealer told me about them simply not working in a small room.

Thanks for any expertise and assistance on this, it's greatly appreciated. It might well end up that nothing larger than the Olympica III's will perform optimally in my room, but it's important that I know, one way or the other.

John

Your dealer is wrong about the Elipsa he told you that because he doesn’t have any to sell yo u since they are discontinued which is a shame. I love mine

John Clark 01-28-2018 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblue (Post 894067)
I have owned the Q3 and now enjoy the Futura. I would recommend the Guarneri Memento, or maybe the new Guarneri Tradition. You will get all the magic of the SF, but with out the possible bass problems that I think will occur with regards to the size of your room if you'd choose the Futura.

Several of you have recommended them, anyone else agree that I may have bass problems in my room if I went with the Amati Futuras?

John

John Clark 01-28-2018 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 895147)
Your dealer is wrong about the Elipsa he told you that because he doesn’t have any to sell yo u since they are discontinued which is a shame. I love mine

Actually, the dealer (a friend, more or less) has two pairs of Elipsa's still in stock. He literally implored me not to use them in my room, saying that it would be a mistake, and it would be virtually impossible to get the set up to work well. And he has been there and knows my room.

John

IM3CPO 01-28-2018 04:59 AM

I have basically the same size room and have Futura's in there. I have also had Cremona's in the same room and both sounded good!

esteban 01-28-2018 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 895680)
Actually, the dealer (a friend, more or less) has two pairs of Elipsa's still in stock. He literally implored me not to use them in my room, saying that it would be a mistake, and it would be virtually impossible to get the set up to work well. And he has been there and knows my room.

John

John, check out the link I shared above about my experiences with the Elipsas in my own small room. If your dealer is a friend, you could always try them in your room and decide for yourself.