AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Parasound (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=183)
-   -   New parasound integrated (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=32524)

usbyte 07-29-2015 02:36 PM

New parasound integrated

anyone heard it. confused on getting this unit or a benchmark dac 2d with mcintosh mc352.

Alberto 07-29-2015 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usbyte (Post 716765)
anyone heard it. confused on getting this unit or a benchmark dac 2d with mcintosh mc352.

Mmmmm. Parasound and McIntosh have quite different sonic signatures, with McIntosh leaning more toward a "smooth sound" and the Parasound being more "analytical".

Unless you are clear about the sound you are after it's tough to give any advice.

"The journey to sonic nirvana begins with a general idea of what that nirvana sounds like." -- Alberto

usbyte 07-29-2015 04:02 PM

Alberto your YouTube video sold me on mcintosh some years ago. I am still a mcintosh guy but always get that itch to switch. I guess I should stay where I am comfortable ie. McIntosh.

Other option is mcintosh integrated amp like the new 6700 or 7900.

Alberto 07-29-2015 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usbyte (Post 716788)
Alberto your YouTube video sold me on mcintosh some years ago. I am still a mcintosh guy but always get that itch to switch. I guess I should stay where I am comfortable ie. McIntosh.

There was another AA thread from someone auditioning Parasound and deciding that it was not The Right Sound for them. Then, reluctantly at the salesperson's suggestion they listened to a McIntosh system and bought it.

I've listened to a few Parasound components in stores. They look and sound great. Top notch design, high-quality components, great specs, etc. But you have to like their "house sound" which is quite different from McIntosh. If you like that sonic signature, from everything I read, Parasound is one the best companies out there.

Quote:

Again, what's your sonic objective? Or you just want to simplify life with an integrated amp (totally understandable.) In that case an integrated McIntosh (as long as it uses autoformers) it's going to be in the same sonic ballpark. Although newer models sound less "romantic" and more "modern/analytical" to my ear.

Alberto

usbyte 08-04-2015 04:27 PM

i am loking for a smooth sound and also keep things simple. my source is only digital so i am looking for an integrated amp dac. i recently got the pmc ib2i speaker and they are fantastic. looking for an integrated that will drive these.

jeffnesh 10-05-2015 06:02 PM

I'm just about sold on the Parasound Halo Integrated amp. I like the ht bypass so I can share space with the TV, will drive Monitor Audio Silver 8s, and play about 3/4 hi res audio from a mac and 1/4 vinyl.

The alternate consideration is a Benchmark DAC2 with an amp (Benchmark AHD2? Bryston 2.5?) Thoughts on how the built in DAC on the Parasound competes with the Benchmark...does it hold it's own, or would the Parasound benefit from a standalone DAC?

Masterlu 10-05-2015 06:17 PM

jeffnesh... Welcome to AA! :wave:

djwhog 10-05-2015 09:31 PM

Welcome, I have a Parasound amp for my outside and living room taps, 250 per ch 8ohm 400 into 4ohm loads. Sounds very nice and is great value in it's class price point. I also have a Halo amp which is class A/B for my surround and has balanced inputs and is a few more bucks but equally very good in the amps one can buy in that price group.

Congrats :)

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

slayers 01-09-2016 12:23 PM

I'm purchasing the Parasound integrated amp; But now I'm trying to figure out which speakers to go with them

wgb113 03-11-2016 02:28 PM

The Parasound is the perfect modern integrated IMO. It's got both a decent DAC and phono stage along with very nicely implemented bass management. I've considered trading my McIntosh MA6300 for one on occasion.

That bass management piece is what's most critical to me. Right now I'm using the preamp outputs and getting a very nice blend but I think a true setup like the Parasound has would be better.