AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audio Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   REF 5 and REF Phono 2 SE upgrades. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=15957)

Etunes 09-10-2012 04:57 PM

REF 5 and REF Phono 2 SE upgrades.

These upgrades were initially offered in January and every time I inquire they mention having parts availability issues and extend the timeframe to get these done. I'm confused. Does it make sense that they have everything for the REF 5 SE but do not for the upgrades? Has anyone gotten an upgrade from ARC? Thanks for any input kinda frustrated.

SundayNiagara 09-10-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Etunes (Post 362022)
These upgrades were initially offered in January and every time I inquire they mention having parts availability issues and extend the timeframe to get these done. I'm confused. Does it make sense that they have everything for the REF 5 SE but do not for the upgrades? Has anyone gotten an upgrade from ARC? Thanks for any input kinda frustrated.

Have you contacted ARC? Isn't there a list?

Etunes 09-10-2012 08:47 PM

Yes,

About every 60 days or so. Kalvin is polite but always says the same thing no parts. ARC is well regarded for having every part for every unit they've ever made. I find the sourcing reason strange. I know high class problems. I must endure my amazing REF 5 until the upgrades begin.

cmalak 09-10-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Etunes (Post 362130)
Yes,

About every 60 days or so. Kalvin is polite but always says the same thing no parts. ARC is well regarded for having every part for every unit they've ever made. I find the sourcing reason strange. I know high class problems. I must endure my amazing REF 5 until the upgrades begin.

There was a similar question in another thread and similar reply given after a phone call to ARC. My guess is parts for new units have priority over upgrades as you would expect them to and if new sales are soaking up the majority of parts availability and upgrade orders are building at a fast clip, then the backorder line for the upgrades will keep getting extended. Conjecture on my part but this could be the scenario playing out at the moment.

microstrip 09-12-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 362134)
There was a similar question in another thread and similar reply given after a phone call to ARC. My guess is parts for new units have priority over upgrades as you would expect them to and if new sales are soaking up the majority of parts availability and upgrade orders are building at a fast clip, then the backorder line for the upgrades will keep getting extended. Conjecture on my part but this could be the scenario playing out at the moment.

A similar situation happened with some upgrades at conrad johnson sometime ago - they did not have a supply of teflon capacitors enough to carry all the upgrades immediately after the release of the new units, as the main priority was wisely the assembly of new units.

Etunes 09-12-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak

Looks like things are looking up. Just heard parts will be arriving mid Oct. I'm sure from everything I'm hearing it will be worth the upgrade and wait. I was more concerned that for some reason they would kill the upgrade program altogether .

BillK 09-13-2012 02:15 AM

FWIW, most businesses work that way when parts are hard to source - new product shipments get priority, mostly because there's a lot more money to be made.

It serves companies well if they don't have a lot of margin on upgrades since it's a customer relations move to offer the upgrades in the first place.

tom 09-13-2012 09:59 AM

I live in the UK and there is not even a hint of an upgrade from the distributor here yet.

TMcD 09-13-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillK
FWIW, most businesses work that way when parts are hard to source - new product shipments get priority, mostly because there's a lot more money to be made.

It serves companies well if they don't have a lot of margin on upgrades since it's a customer relations move to offer the upgrades in the first place.

Agreed.

Looking forward to getting mine done, but in no rush.

Happy to see ARC so busy.

sanji 09-15-2012 12:44 AM

From what I've heard, the company that makes the Teflon caps for AR got bought by another company and are in transition. So the caps are in short supply. Should be ironed out fairly shortly. I bought a REF 2 SE a couple of months ago and it is amazing. From what I've heard the upgrade is well worth it.