AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Aurender (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Aurender N10 or N100H? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42095)

LarsT 02-04-2018 09:24 AM

Aurender N10 or N100H?

Hi all. I just sold my my LUMIN S1 due to ongoing and most likely permanent network issues. Thank you Comcast....:icon_thumbsdown:. There's nothing like rewiring everything and having it do no good at all.

In any event, I am in desperate need of a new network server with on board storage. I have seen posts praising both the N10 and N100H. So my question is whether or not the difference between the two units is subtle or remarkable? Basically, if I get the N100H, will I have upgradeitis or buyer's remorse in no time at all? I plan on plugging this into my K-03X.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lars

LarsT 02-04-2018 09:33 AM

Sorry, for full disclosure, I am considering the SilenZio also.

For The Love of Music 02-04-2018 09:41 AM

Consider resolving your network issues first as you will need this no matter your choice if your going to run a NAS, streaming and in the rare incident need support.

Both offer value, and there are some good threads within the forum giving the detail of each.

Let us know what you end up with.

Best

LarsT 02-04-2018 10:00 AM

Thanks, but how does one resolve Comcast? I get signal losses to the point where Comcast calls me about it. They said the problem was inside my four walls. Well, I switched everything out; coax, ethernet, splitter, NAS drive, computer, separate modem and router,switch, etc. I have nothing left to swap out, yet I still lose signal. Comcast says they will look into it. I have no other service provider in my area. Moving is not an option...lol. So, I decided I had to get onboard storage so the music is playing off a directly connected hard drive. Am I wrong in thinking having the files directly connected will solve the drop out problem? Won't they be playing off the hard rive and not running though the network?
Apologies for being a neophyte.

Masterlu 02-04-2018 10:03 AM

Yup, the music will play just fine from an internal hard drive. Control of the device via Wi-Fi will still be an issue though.

Masterlu 02-04-2018 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarsT (Post 897175)
Thanks, but how does one resolve Comcast? I get signal losses to the point where Comcast calls me about it. They said the problem was inside my four walls. Well, I switched everything out; coax, ethernet, splitter, NAS drive, computer, separate modem and router,switch, etc. I have nothing left to swap out, yet I still lose signal. Comcast says they will look into it. I have no other service provider in my area. Moving is not an option...lol. So, I decided I had to get onboard storage so the music is playing off a directly connected hard drive. Am I wrong in thinking having the files directly connected will solve the drop out problem? Won't they be playing off the hard rive and not running though the network?
Apologies for being a neophyte.

Who set up your router/modem?

LarsT 02-04-2018 10:14 AM

Thanks Masterlu! I had the network reconfigured by a local professional. We both service the same clientele, and I have always heard good things about he fixed the unfixable. But he can only fix up to the road. I suspect the problem is that I live in what cable/electric companies call a semi-rural area. I discovered this after Hurricane Sandy. I don't have the population density to be of importance to them. I have decided not to fight them....see definition of insanity.

PMCH 02-06-2018 11:29 AM

I compared the N10 to the N100H in a dealer's show room. I went in to purchase the N100H and left with a N10. For me it was worth the extra $'s.

Mouse 02-06-2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMCH (Post 897597)
I compared the N10 to the N100H in a dealer's show room. I went in to purchase the N100H and left with a N10. For me it was worth the extra $'s.

More details please?
Was your decision based on sound quality alone?
Or using a digital output instead of USB have more to do with it, also linked to improved sound quality from other threads in this forum?

Anything else you can tell us?
I'm in the market for one, but I'll never get to demo one so I rely on my peer's ears.
My dealer has an A10 which I've heard, but he's not getting anything better like the N10. The A10 sounded flat, but I'm not blaming the A10. Their demo rooms need some work.

PMCH 02-06-2018 12:47 PM

Mouse, my decision was based entirely on the sound quality that my wife and myself heard. I knew nothing about ripping or streaming music before I went to check out the N100H, I thought that would be a good place to start my education. We never had I-tunes or any other downloaded music. We listened to the N100H and the N10 on a very revealing expensive system. We thought the N100H sounded ok but when we hooked up the N10 in the same system with the same music we were much more impressed so we purchased the N10 on the spot. We only listened to both units via USB, a WW platinum, that I brought from home. I am one of those that prefers listening to the N10 via USB going through an iFi USB with the WW platinum USB cable. I even prefer USB over COAX from the N10 to my K-01x when playing ripped CD's, so I may be in the minority here.
On a less revealing system I may not have noticed as much of a difference but I only compared the two at the dealers on the one system. I would advise you to go to where you are able to A & B both with your own ears if possible.