AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Chinese High-End Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Line Magnetic LM805IA (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44580)

Jean-Marc jmajma 12-18-2018 01:41 AM

Tie Breaker, what are your 84db speakers?
And how large is your room ?

Tie_breaker 12-18-2018 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean-Marc jmajma (Post 945135)
Tie Breaker, what are your 84db speakers?
And how large is your room ?

Bonjour Jean-Marc, I have PMC fact 12s and my room is about 18ft x 12ft.

Last night I adjusted the bias since I already have about 80 hours on the amp. Then I listened to a few songs and it was wonderful.

freesole 01-18-2019 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMD (Post 945134)
A guy on one of the other forums went through a several month audition of a lot of speakers for the same amp and settled on the Spendor D-9's. Monitor Audio Platinum's, Verity or Nola might also be something to look into.

This sounds like it was me :) The D9's sound incredible with this amp. :banana:

freesole 01-18-2019 12:07 PM

Agreed that the Line Magnetic 805ia is really a joy to listen to. It is built like a tank and weighs like one too. Hauling this to the auditions of various speakers including the Magico A3 and the Daedalus Argos was not much fun but when the music starts, this amp really is special. Other amps that I have heard include the Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP (at home audition for a week), Hegel 360, Naim XS2 and Supernait 2, McIntosh (various) and the one that I was most impressed was the Line Magnetic. This amp, in my system, was more enjoyable to my ears than any of those others.

The 805ia responds very well to tube rolling too. I have changed out all the stock tubes in favor of NOS or new issued tubes and the sound is even smoother and even more transparent than before. It just flows.

Now, I added a tube preamp to the mix (just last night). The Don Sach's Model 2 is what I am using and from what I understand, the pre-in on the 805ia does not completely bypass the preamp in the LM. I don't understand all the technical bits but it is still very early for me to make a conclusion one way or the other. I can only say that I have not heard a big improvement vs not having a separate preamp yet.

Tie_breaker 01-18-2019 08:37 PM

Hi freesole, can do you tell us what tubes did you use to replace the stock tubes please?
Thank you..

freesole 01-19-2019 01:16 AM

805 - Psvane Acme 805
300B - Emission Lab 300B XLS
6SN7 - NOS Tungsol 6SN7GT (round plates)
6SL7 - Mullard ECC35

The 300B made the least difference to my ears but I heard very evident improvements with tube rolling the 805 and the preamp tubes.

Jag Hond 09-19-2023 05:22 AM

Hi to all.
My first post here, and glad to be in this woderful Community.
I'm not a native English speaker/writer, so please be patient with me.
I'm living in Italy.

I'm going to be a LM805 owner very soon - within this month, actually, and my very first move will be upgrading all its tubes with top selectected PSVANE ones, a brand I'm using with satisfaction since more than ten years. :tresbon:
After done this, I will check how it will sound with my beloved, and trusted in years, AR 2Ax - I've listened to many speakers brands since now, but I liked no one, also because I don't love bass reflex units' sound.

So.. please wish me well, if you please.

With best regards.

Antonmb 09-19-2023 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jag Hond (Post 1076996)
Hi to all.
My first post here, and glad to be in this woderful Community.
I'm not a native English speaker/writer, so please be patient with me.
I'm living in Italy.

I'm going to be a LM805 owner very soon - within this month, actually, and my very first move will be upgrading all its tubes with top selectected PSVANE ones, a brand I'm using with satisfaction since more than ten years. :tresbon:
After done this, I will check how it will sound with my beloved, and trusted in years, AR 2Ax - I've listened to many speakers brands since now, but I liked no one, also because I don't love bass reflex units' sound.

So.. please wish me well, if you please.

With best regards.

Welcome Jag! 2ax, wow, very cool. I had a pair of 2a in the 70s (the 2-driver version), and I still have an AR XA turntable I play occasionally. The LM is a very nice amp.

Masterlu 09-19-2023 08:16 PM

Jag… Welcome to AA! :wave:

Jag Hond 09-20-2023 03:03 AM

Thanks a lot for your kind, warm "Welcome aboard!", mates!

At Anton: I don't have - by purpose - high-end nor top stuff like yours. Lucky you.
But I do love music and that music I love (pun?) listenting to, instead. My attention is driven all straight to that, nothing other matters.
Here is why I am a very proud AR owner - 2ax are not prohibitive to be driven, as 3s instead. But I do know them very well both, the sound is of the same kind - it's just what I call "monitor". The real one, not that LS 3/5's, nad I have listened carefully to a huge lot of them, of any kind and brand available (15 perhaps).
"They lack of high tones, instrumentally checked"? Oh, really? So I sure must have strange devices embedded in my ears for sure and I never realized that. Funny. Never went to Area51 or weird places the like in my life, though. :D

Seriously. No will to start a flame of any kind, those above are my -own-and-personal-only impressions.

I have seen where you are from, and my highest respect is owed to you - you and me know until too well why, I firmly believe.

To all: let only me become the owner of that beauty, and... we will talk further about. Promised.

With best regards.