AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Bryston Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Bryston Introduces the BDA-3.14 Multi-Function Streaming DAC (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46556)

JBT 08-31-2019 01:24 PM

Bryston Introduces the BDA-3.14 Multi-Function Streaming DAC

New DAC includes built-in music player, onboard digital volume control and updated user interface, creating a world class digital entertainment hub from Bryston with unparalleled performance

Peterborough, Ontario August 29th, 2019 – Bryston (bryston.com) has introduced the BDA-3.14 multi-function DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) that adds an array of impressive features to the much heralded BDA-3 DAC platform. The BDA-3.14 delivers the performance and unmatched build quality that music aficionados have come to expect from Bryston. The BDA-3.14 will be available from Bryston dealers beginning Q4, 2019 and carry an MSRP of $4195 USD.

The BDA-3.14 offers streaming capability via a built-in music player that delivers access to network-connected storage and USB drives as well as streaming services such as Qobuz, Tidal, Roon and Internet radio. Digital connectivity between the internal music player and the DAC is managed using the I2S protocol, a premium interface standard used for connecting digital audio devices together that preserves audio and clock data with virtually zero error. The BDA-3.14 also features a digital volume control, enabling users to drive an amplifier directly. An updated version of Bryston’s Manic Moose user interface for phones, tablets and computers provides users with intuitive control over all functionality

https://positive-feedback.com/industry-news/bryston-introduces-the-bda-3-14-multi-function-streaming-dac/

Parabellum 08-31-2019 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBT (Post 977969)
New DAC includes built-in music player, onboard digital volume control and updated user interface, creating a world class digital entertainment hub from Bryston with unparalleled performance

Peterborough, Ontario August 29th, 2019 – Bryston (bryston.com) has introduced the BDA-3.14 multi-function DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) that adds an array of impressive features to the much heralded BDA-3 DAC platform. The BDA-3.14 delivers the performance and unmatched build quality that music aficionados have come to expect from Bryston. The BDA-3.14 will be available from Bryston dealers beginning Q4, 2019 and carry an MSRP of $4195 USD.

The BDA-3.14 offers streaming capability via a built-in music player that delivers access to network-connected storage and USB drives as well as streaming services such as Qobuz, Tidal, Roon and Internet radio. Digital connectivity between the internal music player and the DAC is managed using the I2S protocol, a premium interface standard used for connecting digital audio devices together that preserves audio and clock data with virtually zero error. The BDA-3.14 also features a digital volume control, enabling users to drive an amplifier directly. An updated version of Bryston’s Manic Moose user interface for phones, tablets and computers provides users with intuitive control over all functionality

https://positive-feedback.com/industry-news/bryston-introduces-the-bda-3-14-multi-function-streaming-dac/

This looks interesting. Funny thing is that I chatted a bit with James at the Montreal Audio Show this year and I asked him if Bryston would come up with a single box unit for digital playback. Looks like they listened to me :D

But, since I already have a BDA-3 and BDP-2, I wonder if this would be an upgrade. But three interesting things I see, 1. drop that expensive USB cable, 2. Free up one shelf in my rack and 3. One less power cord to purchase/upgrade. And I am not talking about those aftermarket audio grade fuses. From a financial point of view, I think it would make sense to sell both my units and cabling and get the BDA-3.14. I believe I could break even doing the move. The only thing I wish is that I can install my SSD HDD inside the BDA-3.14 like I do with my BDP-2. From a sound quality perspective, I am waiting for the reviews to compare it to my already excellent BDA-3.

And, why the ".14" moniker??

Grit 09-01-2019 02:01 AM

3.14 = pi

The "raspberry pi" is the player inside the (otherwise) BDA-3 DAC.

Thus, BDA- 3.14 (BDA 3 w/a Raspberry Pi = 3.14)

Parabellum 09-01-2019 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grit (Post 978068)
3.14 = pi

The "raspberry pi" is the player inside the (otherwise) BDA-3 DAC.

Thus, BDA- 3.14 (BDA 3 w/a Raspberry Pi = 3.14)

That’s clever. Thanks for the explanation.

LarsT 09-02-2019 10:04 AM

Bryston Introduces the BDA-3.14 Multi-Function Streaming DAC

I’m curious as to the quality of the digital volume control. How wil it be controlled? I currently have a pair of Elac Navis Arb51 powered speakers that I am looking for a new Roon source for. I am using an Oppo 205 at the moment, but I am not crazy about the volume control.

James Tanner - Bryston 10-29-2019 03:15 PM

Hi Folks,

Link to 3.14

http://www.bryston.com/products/digi.../BDA-3p14.html

LarsT 11-30-2019 06:57 PM

I wonder why there hasn’t been much chatter about this unit. It seems like a highly capable piece worthy of a listen.

James Tanner - Bryston 11-30-2019 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarsT (Post 987441)
I wonder why there hasn’t been much chatter about this unit. It seems like a highly capable piece worthy of a listen.

Hi

We just started shipping about 2 weeks ago so not many have heard it yet would be my assumption. Plus from a company perspective no news is good news - means no issues with customers and dealers getting things up and running.

i have a unit at home and I did a Bryston Day at one of our dealers with it and even if I say so myself this is one sweet piece!

james

LarsT 11-30-2019 07:31 PM

That’s great news! Hopefully we will be hearing a lot of positive reviews shortly. I’m very tempted to give one a whirl.

doggiehowser 12-01-2019 08:59 AM

Did the DAC chip get upgraded to the newest AKM?