AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Advice sought, major system change (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49434)

Native Vermonter 01-22-2021 11:37 AM

Advice sought, major system change

At present, I have a Denali 6000 V2 supplying power to a dCS Vivaldi stack (DAC, upsampler, clock) via Stealth Dream cables (V18, V12 and V10). My D’Agostino Momentum HD preamp is plugged directly into a 20 amp circuit (SR Z1 outlet), via a Dream V18 cable, and my M300 monos will be plugged directly into two additional 20 amp circuits I am having installed. Those will use SR-Z1 outlets and Sigma V2 NR cables I have already ordered.

I just bought the Stealth Dream V18 cables (digital and analogue) so those will stay in the system.

I also ordered an Omega XC for the Denali. Installing the two additional outlets offers the opportunity to take the Denali out of rack and run everything direct from the wall.

If I can get the order for the Omega XC changed to an Omega QR-s (it might not yet be in production) that could power one of the dCS components.

It would be a stretch right now, but if I offer up the Denali 6000 as trade, or sell it, I could swing another Omega QR-s. More comfortably, I could swing another Sigma V2 NR.

That’s a lot of word salad, so here is a summary of where I could wind up:

Dedicated 20 amp circuit #1 to Preamp. Stealth Dream V18 (analogue)
Dedicated 20 amp circuit #1 to DAC. Stealth Dream V18 (digital)
Dedicated 20 amp circuits #2 to Mono amps. Shunyata Sigma V2 NR (x2)
Dedicated 20 amp circuit #3 to Clock. Shunyata Omega QR-s (if I can get the Omega XC order changed)
Dedicated 20 amp circuit #3 to Upsampler Shunyata Omega QR-s (or Sigma V2)

I’m gonna hang out with my dealer tomorrow for a couple hours so will get their advice on this too and input on whether I can change the Omega XC to an Omega QR-s (I’ll pay the full price differential).

So, to distill it down to one question, would I better off pulling the Denali and going straight to the wall with a dCS Vivaldi stack, using the Stealth V18 and some Shunyata NR cables (Omega QR-s and/or Sigma V2)?

Cheers,

Mitch

Parabellum 01-22-2021 05:22 PM

That’s a stellar plan.
However, I would highly suggest you reconsider your choice of outlets and get the Shunyata CopperCONN. In my system it has been a game changer.

edward3132 01-22-2021 06:08 PM

Mitch

Great system you have put together.

For me, Omega class cords may be overkill for the digital components especially the clock. I have had nothing but great sounding digital from an older Triton 3/Typhon combo connected to wall with Sigma V2 XC power cord with my dCS Rossini/Clock combo connected to them via Sigma level power cords with Sigma V1 XLR's and Sigma V1 BNC clock cables between components.

I would recommend keeping your digital components connected to the Denali with the Omega XC you have already ordered. Agree with possible upgrade to CopperConn outlets as well.

Of course only your ears will know best.

Edward

Native Vermonter 01-22-2021 08:09 PM

Thanks, paralysis thru analysis plagues me sometimes...the harder I try to remove variables from the matrix, the more I find sometimes.

I’m gonna keep the Denali, and use the Omega XC on it. I will also probably put the preamp back on it. Even thought I’m having a whole house surge protector put in at the same time as the new dedicated circuits for the amps, an extra level of protection is probably wise.

In that vein, I am going to buy two Venom Defenders for the new 20 amp circuits, so each mono-amp will have its own dedicated line, with a Venom Defender in place.

Native Vermonter 01-22-2021 08:10 PM

Serge,

I’ll check with my dealer tomorrow when I see him to see if I can make that switch from the SR-Z1s...

Cheers,

Mitch

Weirdcuba 01-22-2021 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Native Vermonter (Post 1030033)
At present, I have a Denali 6000 V2 supplying power to a dCS Vivaldi stack (DAC, upsampler, clock) via Stealth Dream cables (V18, V12 and V10). My D’Agostino Momentum HD preamp is plugged directly into a 20 amp circuit (SR Z1 outlet), via a Dream V18 cable, and my M300 monos will be plugged directly into two additional 20 amp circuits I am having installed. Those will use SR-Z1 outlets and Sigma V2 NR cables I have already ordered.

I just bought the Stealth Dream V18 cables (digital and analogue) so those will stay in the system.

I also ordered an Omega XC for the Denali. Installing the two additional outlets offers the opportunity to take the Denali out of rack and run everything direct from the wall.

If I can get the order for the Omega XC changed to an Omega QR-s (it might not yet be in production) that could power one of the dCS components.

It would be a stretch right now, but if I offer up the Denali 6000 as trade, or sell it, I could swing another Omega QR-s. More comfortably, I could swing another Sigma V2 NR.

That’s a lot of word salad, so here is a summary of where I could wind up:

Dedicated 20 amp circuit #1 to Preamp. Stealth Dream V18 (analogue)
Dedicated 20 amp circuit #1 to DAC. Stealth Dream V18 (digital)
Dedicated 20 amp circuits #2 to Mono amps. Shunyata Sigma V2 NR (x2)
Dedicated 20 amp circuit #3 to Clock. Shunyata Omega QR-s (if I can get the Omega XC order changed)
Dedicated 20 amp circuit #3 to Upsampler Shunyata Omega QR-s (or Sigma V2)

I’m gonna hang out with my dealer tomorrow for a couple hours so will get their advice on this too and input on whether I can change the Omega XC to an Omega QR-s (I’ll pay the full price differential).

So, to distill it down to one question, would I better off pulling the Denali and going straight to the wall with a dCS Vivaldi stack, using the Stealth V18 and some Shunyata NR cables (Omega QR-s and/or Sigma V2)?

Cheers,

Mitch

My considered opinion .... you got no problems. Must sound awesome already!

crwilli 01-22-2021 11:23 PM

I can’t distill all of your options as I have no idea what Stealth cables are. However, I believe it has been written before, don’t under estimate the value of having some sort of protection between the wall and your gear.

Perhaps not your amplifiers but given the front end of most systems do not pull lots of current and benefit from clean power, why wouldn’t you power your front end equipment with the Omega/Denali 6000/s v2?

Consider it extra piece of mind on top of your whole house protection.

I live in the SE. I watch the weather for months at a time. If there is a storm coming, I run to my room and unplug everything! My equipment is only touching the floor.

There is a focus on SQ that is balanced against protection of your precious equipment - and your ability to run upstairs and unplug everything!

Native Vermonter 01-23-2021 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 1030110)
My considered opinion .... you got no problems. Must sound awesome already!

Yes, it does sound awesome...I decided the other day to let the upcoming changes in power cords and interconnects be completed, then think about what’s next. I find myself searching really hard to find the new weak link in the system, and frankly, there aren’t any too apparent to me...

Native Vermonter 01-23-2021 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 1030118)
I can’t distill all of your options as I have no idea what Stealth cables are. However, I believe it has been written before, don’t under estimate the value of having some sort of protection between the wall and your gear.

Perhaps not your amplifiers but given the front end of most systems do not pull lots of current and benefit from clean power, why wouldn’t you power your front end equipment with the Omega/Denali 6000/s v2?

Consider it extra piece of mind on top of your whole house protection.

I live in the SE. I watch the weather for months at a time. If there is a storm coming, I run to my room and unplug everything! My equipment is only touching the floor.

There is a focus on SQ that is balanced against protection of your precious equipment - and your ability to run upstairs and unplug everything!

I agree, component protection should be of equal if not more importance than wringing that last electron out of the system. So, the preamp will probably go back onto the Denali, and the individual circuits for the amps will get Venom Defenders this week.

We get some horrendous storms here in VA and the pucker factor goes up with each flash and bang...

cleeds 01-23-2021 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 1030118)
... If there is a storm coming, I run to my room and unplug everything! ...

I do the same thing! It is the ultimate in surge protection, even if you also have a whole house surge protector.