AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Linn (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=188)
-   -   Linn Uphorik or Ayre P-5xe (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38040)

Amadave 12-18-2016 11:48 PM

Linn Uphorik or Ayre P-5xe

Over the weekend, I visited 2 different high end stores in Dallas. One of the items in my system I am considering upgrading is the phono pre-amp. I received recommendations for the phono pre-amps listed in the subject line. My current setup is a Rega RP10 with an Apheta cartridge with the Rega Aria phono pre-amp. If it has any bearing on your thoughts, I am also considering a change to the Lyra Delos cartridge.

If anyone has heard these phone pre-amps, I would appreciate your comments.

Avid 12-19-2016 01:14 AM

I don't have any experience with the linn but I don't think the Lyra and Ayre would make that great a combo. Lyra has a tendency to be tilted up and the Ayre has a tendency to be somewhat soft or lean sounding. Put them together and I don't think it would be the best match up. Out of curiosity have you looked into a Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage? I think there is a dealer in San Antonio and one in Oklahoma, so maybe one of them could get you a demo. I personally use Zesto which is why I asked. :)

Antonmb 12-20-2016 03:21 AM

I've been using a Uphorik for about 3 years with a Rega P9 and Sumiko Pearwood Celebration II cartridge. It's a very flexible unit and sounds very good in my system. Balanced outputs are a real plus for me, since I'm feeding a Linn preamp with only balanced analog inputs. The only drawback I've found is the dip switches are on the bottom of the unit. Linn provides a soft mat to set the unit on when changing switches and you can just run it on its back for the first day or two while you dial in settings.

Amadave 12-20-2016 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 820838)
I don't have any experience with the linn but I don't think the Lyra and Ayre would make that great a combo. Lyra has a tendency to be tilted up and the Ayre has a tendency to be somewhat soft or lean sounding. Put them together and I don't think it would be the best match up. Out of curiosity have you looked into a Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage? I think there is a dealer in San Antonio and one in Oklahoma, so maybe one of them could get you a demo. I personally use Zesto which is why I asked. :)

Thanks for your comments. I don't live close to San Antonio, but I will give the Zesto a look online. Out of curiosity, what table and cartridge as you using with the Zesto?

Avid 12-20-2016 09:03 PM

How far are you from the Oklahoma dealer? I think Dallas is only a couple hours from Oklahoma isn't it? I use an Avenger and ortofon A95

Amadave 12-20-2016 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 821027)
I've been using a Uphorik for about 3 years with a Rega P9 and Sumiko Pearwood Celebration II cartridge. It's a very flexible unit and sounds very good in my system. Balanced outputs are a real plus for me, since I'm feeding a Linn preamp with only balanced analog inputs. The only drawback I've found is the dip switches are on the bottom of the unit. Linn provides a soft mat to set the unit on when changing switches and you can just run it on its back for the first day or two while you dial in settings.

Thanks for your feedback. Have you ever used any other phono stages with your RP9? Also, in your vinyl setup, what piece do you think has the most influence on the sound? As I mentioned, I am also considering a change in cartridge. If I am able to only do one, which should I update first?

Antonmb 12-20-2016 09:26 PM

Prior to the Sumiko I was using a Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood. As for which piece has the most influence on the sound in my system, I couldn't really say - I think it's fairly reasonably balanced. If I were to upgrade anything it might be the table, followed by the cartridge.

In your system, I would say the weak link is the phono stage. You have an excellent table and a well-matched cartridge. You might get a different sound from the Delos, but I think from the Apheta it would be more of a lateral move, or at best a modest upgrade. You'd need to go higher up the Lyra range, say to the Kleos, to achieve a major upgrade, and then you'd definitely be outclassing the phono stage. Also I think the Lyra cartridges are taller than Rega, so you would probably need to add shims to the arm to adjust the VTA.

If it's a first gen Apheta, you might consider the Apheta II if you want to upgrade the cartridge.

Amadave 12-20-2016 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 821146)
How far are you from the Oklahoma dealer? I think Dallas is only a couple hours from Oklahoma isn't it? I use an Avenger and ortofon A95

I am located up in the Texas panhandle. It is about a 5.5 to 6 hour drive to Dallas and 9 to 10 hours to San Antonio. Is the Oklahoma dealer in OKC? OKC is about 3.5 to 4.0 hours from my home.

Avid 12-20-2016 10:03 PM

Don't know, just a sec and I will look on their website.

Looks like Moore, OK

Amadave 12-20-2016 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 821158)
Don't know, just a sec and I will look on their website

Looks like Moore, OK

I believe Moore is basically a suburb of OKC. So a weekend road trip might not be out of the question.