AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wyred 4 Sound (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Wyred 4 Sound Recovery Review (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=35237)

tutomac 03-25-2016 11:36 AM

Randy, since you are using the iFi product, did you look at and consider their iPurifier? It is designed to do the same, is super discreet, and costs even less.
They now have a second follow up model that's supposed to be even better, the iPurifier2.
I am using the original iPurifier, and was thinking of upgrading to the iPurifier2, but you guys have made me consider the Recovery.
Like I said somewhere in this forum, these devices will not break the bank and it is not impossible to try them all, but it is also true you keep adding $5 here and $10 there and, well you know...

Randy Myers 03-25-2016 12:14 PM

Actually no I did not. The iPower is my first iFi product. I only purchased this because it looked like an improved power supply, although the one that W4S provides works just fine.

The Recovery was my first and only choice because I am very familiar with Wyred 4 Sound and the quality of their products. I live near their factory and know their staff personally. I consider EJ a genius in the audio design world.

I also prefer to buy American made when possible over products made in China. Another thing I prefer is a full 5 year warranty versus a 1 year warranty.

scirica 03-25-2016 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 769323)
Steve.......You may find this article by John Darko an interesting read.

Fighting Fit USB Audio From The Wyred4Sound Recovery | DAR__KO

Just read through the Darko article. He is certainly a fan of both the Regen and Recovery, and it is so close that I believe I'm probably good where I am with the Regen. I do have the Curious USB cable that he referenced in his article and I can attest to the quality of that cable. I bought the small Regen Link add'l cable to go from the DAC to Regen, then a longer cable for the run to the server.

I'm currently running without the Regen to a Bryston BDA-3. I may put it back in the mix soon for a comparison, and I'm also guessing Darko is correct in that some DAC's benefit more than others from these devices.

jdandy 03-25-2016 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scirica (Post 769422)
Just read through the Darko article. He is certainly a fan of both the Regen and Recovery, and it is so close that I believe I'm probably good where I am with the Regen. I do have the Curious USB cable that he referenced in his article and I can attest to the quality of that cable. I bought the small Regen Link add'l cable to go from the DAC to Regen, then a longer cable for the run to the server.

I'm currently running without the Regen to a Bryston BDA-3. I may put it back in the mix soon for a comparison, and I'm also guessing Darko is correct in that some DAC's benefit more than others from these devices.

Steve.......I thought you would come to that conclusion. I also believe the end results will be tailored by the system and DAC in use. At this point I can only speak of my personal experience with the Recovery in the office headphone rig with the Wyred 4 Sound DAC, and the Recovery in the studio system with the Esoteric K-03 DAC. In both instances I heard improvements that I liked. The Recovery remains in the studio system.

jdandy 03-25-2016 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 769384)
As a representative of the technology impaired, I have to ask: wouldn't an asynchronous DAC obviate the need (or usefulness) of this device?

Randy.......That's a good question. Asynchronous is the most advanced USB data transmission method for music playback. It employs a feedback loop so that the amount of data in the frame can be controlled. Asynchronous USB uses a clock near the DAC that allows it to drive the DAC directly, effectively ignoring the typically unstable clock in a computer. Despite an asynchronous connection, timing errors remain present at the DAC's clock and even though the data in the frame rate is better controlled it is still not perfect. By more accurately timing the data before it arrives at a DAC's clock, pre-conditioning the USB signal is how W4S refers to it, even with the asynchronous transmission the DAC and it's clock have a simpler task of converting the digital voltage variations to a clean analog signal. At least that is my understanding. I am not a computer science engineer so there may be plenty of room for improvement to my explanation. Anyone who wishes, please feel free to grab the baton and carry it to the finish line.

chops-tube 03-25-2016 10:04 PM

Dan... If I recall correctly, you need two more Recovery units. :D

I'm not usually one for system tweaks that you have to pay for, typically because a lot of them are hyped up snake oil, people attempting to justify their spent money.

Reading so much good stuff about the Regen and the Recovery, not knowing UpTown Audio at all and knowing Wyred 4 Sound very well, I decided to give the Recovery a try. I was immediately amazed at the instant improvement within minutes of installing it in my system. Upgrading the stock 6" USB was a no-brainer for me. For the same reason Dan wanted to upgrade this cable, to match the USB going into the Recovery. Makes sense to me.

To me, in my system, upgrading that USB cable did the same thing for the sound as the Recovery itself did, just on a much smaller scale. Upgrading the stock power supply to the iFi iPower again did the same, but on a smaller scale. Both a worthy upgrade for the Recovery, and went added together, make a nice improvement over the base Recovery.

Since my system is constantly running 24/7, I estimate I have well over 700 hours on this little device. If there's any improvements to be had up to the 200 hour point, then I already have them. Same goes for the short WW USB cable and iPower for that matter.

The Wyred 4 Sound Recovery USB Reclocker is a great buy, even at the full retail price of $250. Upgrading the cable and PS for a few more bucks still makes it a great buy, especially considering the amount of improvement those two extra pieces make. And now, Dan is living proof that this little guy works wonders even on a $22k DAC! Hyped up snake oil?... I think not. :thumbsup:

jdandy 03-25-2016 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chops-tube (Post 769585)
Dan... If I recall correctly, you need two more Recovery units. :D

I'm not usually one for system tweaks that you have to pay for, typically because a lot of them are hyped up snake oil, people attempting to justify their spent money.

Reading so much good stuff about the Regen and the Recovery, not knowing UpTown Audio at all and knowing Wyred 4 Sound very well, I decided to give the Recovery a try. I was immediately amazed at the instant improvement within minutes of installing it in my system. Upgrading the stock 6" USB was a no-brainer for me. For the same reason Dan wanted to upgrade this cable, to match the USB going into the Recovery. Makes sense to me.

To me, in my system, upgrading that USB cable did the same thing for the sound as the Recovery itself did, just on a much smaller scale. Upgrading the stock power supply to the iFi iPower again did the same, but on a smaller scale. Both a worthy upgrade for the Recovery, and went added together, make a nice improvement over the base Recovery.

Since my system is constantly running 24/7, I estimate I have well over 700 hours on this little device. If there's any improvements to be had up to the 200 hour point, then I already have them. Same goes for the short WW USB cable and iPower for that matter.

The Wyred 4 Sound Recovery USB Reclocker is a great buy, even at the full retail price of $250. Upgrading the cable and PS for a few more bucks still makes it a great buy, especially considering the amount of improvement those two extra pieces make. And now, Dan is living proof that this little guy works wonders even on a $22k DAC! Hyped up snake oil?... I think not. :thumbsup:

Charles.......I knew it was just a matter of time before someone pointed out I was two short on the Recovery's. :rolleyes:

Your comment about the Recovery delivering immediately out of the box was my exact discovery. I didn't have it between my desktop computer and the W4S DAC2 even five minutes before I was saying to myself this is something special. I even PM'd Ivan that first day and told him he needed to look into the Recovery.

I am waiting now on the delivery of my 0.3 meter Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB cable to replace the provided cable that comes with the Recovery. After I spend some time with that arrangement I will order the iFi iPower 9 volt power supply on yours and Randy's recommendation. Might as well go all the way.

Masterlu 03-25-2016 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 769598)
Charles.......I knew it was just a matter of time before someone pointed out I was two short on the Recovery's. :rolleyes:

Your comment about the Recovery delivering immediately out of the box was my exact discovery. I didn't have it between my desktop computer and the W4S DAC2 even five minutes before I was saying to myself this is something special. I even PM'd Ivan that first day and told him he needed to look into the Recovery.

I am waiting now on the delivery of my 0.3 meter Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB cable to replace the provided cable that comes with the Recovery. After I spend some time with that arrangement I will order the iFi iPower 9 volt power supply on yours and Randy's recommendation. Might as well go all the way.

Dan... I'm an iFi dealer also, maybe I'll order a few dozen of those 9 volt power supplies too.

Randy Myers 03-25-2016 11:59 PM

Sounds like there will probably be a few people lining up for Recovery units.... having some iPower on hand would probably be a good idea.

Randy Myers 03-26-2016 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 769598)

Hehe... I was thinking that also but didn't want to be too pushy since we just got you on board with one :D....:music: