AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cables Galore (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   WW: Coax Digital, Toslink, USB - Which is the better choice? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=31141)

Golucid 04-11-2015 02:55 PM

WW: Coax Digital, Toslink, USB - Which is the better choice?

I have the option with the MB100, MC1100 and preamp to use Coax, Toslink or USB.

Coax and Toslink from device to preamp. Coax or Toslink?
USB from device to computer [I guess in this case, which WW USB model]

Which WW is the better choice and why? This is the WW page I visited when looking at the options: WW Digital Options

Masterlu 04-11-2015 03:49 PM

Platinum Starlight coax & Platinum Starlight USB; hands down the best sounding digital cables that I have listened to.

W9TR 04-11-2015 08:02 PM

Coax Always wins over Toslink. Always. Lots of variables with USB.

cma29 04-11-2015 10:01 PM

I have the WireWorld Silver Starlight 7 coaxial cable feeding my K-03 and it works great.

2fastdriving 04-11-2015 10:20 PM

Usb pretty much always wins, because you are using the clock in your dac. Otherwise, you're not.

o0OBillO0o 04-11-2015 10:54 PM

@David.. Maybe Ivan will open you up to the special service of sending you equipment and then you just ask for the bill at the end of the month. Return the stuff your not convinced are worth your time and effort. I am sure someone on AA will buy what you don't want.

Elberoth 04-12-2015 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 691531)
Coax Always wins over Toslink. Always. Lots of variables with USB.

It depends on the DAC. If the DAC uses local buffereing / reclocking, then the TosLink / ST Glass cable may sound better.

It was certainly the case with my MSB DAC. The local RAM buffer made it indifferent to incoming signal clock quality (the incoming clock is removed) and the nature of TosLink cable gave it the benefit of total galvanic isolation.

I agree that such a DACs are rare though.

o0OBillO0o 04-12-2015 11:14 AM

Can we agree that a 1 and 0 travels down a Optical and Coaxial Cable in the same manner with close to no losses?

Does a CD transport read and output distorted 1's and 0's?

Perhaps it's how the data is received and processed? which has lots to do with timing. I think that is the discussion; each method has a way of handling the data that may have some impact on the fidelity of the sound.

Masterlu 04-12-2015 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o (Post 691691)
Can we agree that a 1 and 0 travels down a Optical and Coaxial Cable in the same manner with close to no losses?

Does a CD transport read and output distorted 1's and 0's?

Perhaps it's how the data is received and processed? which has lots to do with timing. I think that is the discussion; each method has a way of handling the data that may have some impact on the fidelity of the sound.

Don't forget about RF noise and reflections.

o0OBillO0o 04-12-2015 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 691694)
Don't forget about RF noise and reflections.

@Ivan..

I think you are getting at that the WW USB and Coax Cables are impervious to RF Noise and the TOSlink or Optical cable are impervious to internal reflections in the glass fibre?