AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Speaker Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Vandersteen fans (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=23317)

Masterlu 10-06-2013 11:33 PM

Vandersteen fans

Let's find out how many Vandersteen fans we have. ;)

longbowbbs 10-07-2013 07:24 AM

I have been a big fan for nearly 30 years! I have had the 2C's and the 3A's I downsized to the 1B's and am enjoying their fantastic 3D quality with my Cary SLI-80. For a smaller room it is a high performance, low cost system.

I am considering returning to the 2Ce Signatures soon.

Robert_Anderson 10-07-2013 09:05 AM

I had some 2CE's when I was broke and they were wonderful.

PlanarSpeakerFan 10-07-2013 09:30 AM

I did a lengthy audition of the Vandersteen 7s a few months ago and was extremely impressed. Vocals were liquid and amongst the most natural I've heard. Imaging was holographic with tremendous air around instruments. The bass was too much of a good thing with the powered subwoofer (measured 7.0 on the Richter Scale) but I'm sure could have been ideal if dialed back to a reasonable level.

PSF

longbowbbs 10-07-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert_Anderson (Post 538373)
I had some 2CE's when I was broke and they were wonderful.

When I was in college (30+ years ago..) I worked for a small audio store that focused on "Bang for the buck" quality. We tried to see what the best sounding system was that we could assemble at the lowest price point. I seem to have kept that search going.

I love the Wilson's and have spent a lot of time with the Sonus Faber Amati Futura's recently. For the $$ it is hard to beat either the Vandy 2CE Sig's or 3A Sigs....

longbowbbs 10-07-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan (Post 538378)
I did a lengthy audition of the Vandersteen 7s a few months ago and was extremely impressed. Vocals were liquid and amongst the most natural I've heard. Imaging was holographic with tremendous air around instruments. The bass was too much of a good thing with the powered subwoofer (measured 7.0 on the Richter Scale) but I'm sure could have been ideal if dialed back to a reasonable level.

PSF

The 7's are very adjustable. Once dialed in they seem like they are made for the room. Love them with ARC gear!

Bodhisattva 10-07-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longbowbbs (Post 538382)
The 7's are very adjustable. Once dialed in they seem like they are made for the room. Love them with ARC gear!

Awesome speakers, but uber pricey :faint:

longbowbbs 10-07-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodhisattva (Post 538384)
Awesome speakers, but uber pricey :faint:

No doubt! But it seems like all the top models are pushing north of $40k these days. At least the 7's are considered to be one of the best you can buy for1/2 to 1/4 what the other TOTL models are going for.

What I enjoy is the trickle down effects of the innovations great designers have come up with. Aspects of the 7's have made it down to the 2Ce's.

PlanarSpeakerFan 10-07-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longbowbbs (Post 538386)
No doubt! But it seems like all the top models are pushing north of $40k these days. At least the 7's are considered to be one of the best you can buy for1/2 to 1/4 what the other TOTL models are going for.

What I enjoy is the trickle down effects of the innovations great designers have come up with. Aspects of the 7's have made it down to the 2Ce's.

I have to say that I really like the carbon/balsa sandwich cones on the Vandersteen 7s. Richard hit a home run with the design.

PSF

RoadDawgWest 10-07-2013 10:22 AM

My first real pair of speakers where the 1B's. Still listen to them when I visit the east coast. A few years later I purchased 3A's. Wanted to get the signature upgrade, but sold the pair before I purchased a pair of Legacy Focus 20/20. Those Vandersteens speakers have a synergy when powered by a McCormack DNA-1 with Conrad Johnson tube pre-amplification. I wish I still had those 3A's. I always felt the 3A's were a tremendous value.