AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Tannoy Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=163)
-   -   Tannoy Westminster SE (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=30431)

NZ421291 02-26-2015 06:22 PM

Tannoy Westminster SE

1 Attachment(s)
Had the chance to listen to a pair of Tannoy Westminster SE's recently & just loved them.

They were not optimally set-up- see photo, the power amp was a Plinius SA250 MKIV, an amp I've never liked - I find it etched & overly forward in most systems (the MKII sounded much better IMHO being more laid back), pre-amp was an Einstein Preamplifier Archive - Einstein Audio Components GmbH a Pre-Amp I've heard about but hadn't listen too- the pre-amps 19, yes 18 E88CC/6922 dual-triode tubes and one ECC82/12AU7 dual-triode.throw off almost as much heat as a pair of 845 Tubes!

The pre-amp was favourably reviewed by Stereophile Einstein Audio Components The Tube Mk.II preamplifier | Stereophile.com

The CD Player was a Sony PlayStation 3- oh dear. The owner was awaiting delivery of a new Brinkman Turntable to add to his Kuzma 4 point tonearm & he was undecided about what cartridge to buy- but was leaning to an Ortofon Cadenza Black.

Despite the sub-optimum speaker placement, a pre-amp I've never heard, a power amp I don't like & a TV game machine used as a CD Player- the Westminster's were just magical.

The music they produced was just beguiling. Being an audiophile, Im in love with female vocals- the Westminster had a way of spotlighting the voice, but from within if that makes sense. One of my test tracks is ' Leaf from a Tree' by Mary Coughlan off her fabulous album 'Uncertain Pleasures' Uncertain Pleasures - Mary Coughlan | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic

Even on ordinary systems, this song makes be all gooey- on the Westminster's- it was like she was whispering in my ear- her lips brushing my cheek- STOP IT NICK!

Listening to Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu 'Gurrumul' http://www.allmusic.com/album/gurrumul-mw0001197692- especially the opening track 'Wiyathul' made me cry-& I don't understand a word of Gälpu, Gumatj or Djambarrpuynu which are the languages his sings in.

The session was for just 2 hours-seemed like 2 minutes- the Westminster's just sang beautifully. I didn't want to leave.

I love my Tannoy Canterbury's- but if I had the room to fit the Westminster's- its a no-brainer & would be my last speaker purchase.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...oyimg_1470.jpg

bart 02-26-2015 06:48 PM

Wonderful description Nick! :thumbsup:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...oyimg_1470.jpg

DesW 02-26-2015 07:14 PM

Agree superb Speakers one of my all time Favs!--umm--pity re the couch placement

I personally would've gone for the Kuzma Ref with the 4Point over a Brinkmann

which I find a Flat and lifeless TT frankly

Des

NZ421291 02-26-2015 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesW (Post 678496)
Agree superb Speakers one of my all time Favs!--umm--pity re the couch placement

which I find a Flat and lifeless TT frankly

Des

Hi Des, I've never heard the Brinkmann nor the Kuzma Ref (listened to the Kuzma S & liked it)- If I had a 4 point, already I would favour the Kuzma Turntable.

The Brinkmann's are eye watering expensive in NZ- even the base model is $9,500NZD and looks plain & simple. I think the owner is buying a Balance - retail $28,000NZD!!! For that amount- spending that money on a table that's flat & lifeless would be soul destroying.

Golucid 02-26-2015 08:20 PM

a level of audio fidelity i am not mature enough to appreciate [yet!]. Impressed and they jaw dropping gorgeous.

NZ421291 02-26-2015 08:27 PM

One other thing in regards to this system- its sounded better when the SA250 was in Class A/B rather than pure Class A!!! (the SA250 is switchable)

The owner thinks it was a result of speaker load interaction? Don't know, but this is the first time I've ever heard the difference in favour of A/B- but with these speakers, it defiantly sounded more holistic- Class A seemed to change the sound stage perspective negatively- making you feel further away from the performance , muting the dynamics somewhat.

I don't know how many Westminster owners belong to this forum, but some feedback as to why Class A/B sounded better that Class A in this instance would be insightful.

DesW 02-26-2015 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NZ421291 (Post 678520)
Hi Des, I've never heard the Brinkmann nor the Kuzma Ref (listened to the Kuzma S & liked it)- If I had a 4 point, already I would favour the Kuzma Turntable.

The Brinkmann's are eye watering expensive in NZ- even the base model is $9,500NZD and looks plain & simple. I think the owner is buying a Balance - retail $28,000NZD!!! For that amount- spending that money on a table that's flat & lifeless would be soul destroying.

Yoh NZ, Yes poor choice in my book--the big Kuzma or the AMG are far more musical in presentation -yes I've compared them-plus the suggestion the Arm is a Breuer--well I've owned two Breuer's and I can say the B version ain't no Breuer!

D

fjn04 03-15-2015 07:53 PM

"Agree superb Speakers one of my all time Favs!--umm--pity re the couch placement

which I find a Flat and lifeless TT frankly"

Des

Interesting comments Des. I am going to listen to the Brinkman soon. Hopefully I will feel differently. Kuzma is available to audition close to me, but not in my system. Keep in mind this guy is putting a Kuzma 4-point on the Brinkman. Did you hear the Brinkman with the Brinkman arm? Perhaps you would feel differently about Brinkman if you heard it with the Kuzma 4-point, which you liked so much on the Kuzma. Just a thought!

Bluemcintosh 03-21-2015 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NZ421291 (Post 678475)
Had the chance to listen to a pair of Tannoy Westminster SE's recently & just loved them.

They were not optimally set-up- see photo, the power amp was a Plinius SA250 MKIV, an amp I've never liked - I find it etched & overly forward in most systems (the MKII sounded much better IMHO being more laid back), pre-amp was an Einstein Preamplifier Archive - Einstein Audio Components GmbH a Pre-Amp I've heard about but hadn't listen too- the pre-amps 19, yes 18 E88CC/6922 dual-triode tubes and one ECC82/12AU7 dual-triode.throw off almost as much heat as a pair of 845 Tubes!

The pre-amp was favourably reviewed by Stereophile Einstein Audio Components The Tube Mk.II preamplifier | Stereophile.com

The CD Player was a Sony PlayStation 3- oh dear. The owner was awaiting delivery of a new Brinkman Turntable to add to his Kuzma 4 point tonearm & he was undecided about what cartridge to buy- but was leaning to an Ortofon Cadenza Black.

Despite the sub-optimum speaker placement, a pre-amp I've never heard, a power amp I don't like & a TV game machine used as a CD Player- the Westminster's were just magical.

The music they produced was just beguiling. Being an audiophile, Im in love with female vocals- the Westminster had a way of spotlighting the voice, but from within if that makes sense. One of my test tracks is ' Leaf from a Tree' by Mary Coughlan off her fabulous album 'Uncertain Pleasures' Uncertain Pleasures - Mary Coughlan | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic

Even on ordinary systems, this song makes be all gooey- on the Westminster's- it was like she was whispering in my ear- her lips brushing my cheek- STOP IT NICK!

Listening to Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu 'Gurrumul' http://www.allmusic.com/album/gurrumul-mw0001197692- especially the opening track 'Wiyathul' made me cry-& I don't understand a word of Gälpu, Gumatj or Djambarrpuynu which are the languages his sings in.

The session was for just 2 hours-seemed like 2 minutes- the Westminster's just sang beautifully. I didn't want to leave.

I love my Tannoy Canterbury's- but if I had the room to fit the Westminster's- its a no-brainer & would be my last speaker purchase.

Great report . Thanks for share :thumbsup:

Douglas 03-22-2015 11:35 AM

Fantastic speakers. Positioning is very close to the wall. Is the bass not boomy?