AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Tuners (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Favorite radio station of all time? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45132)

doguniverse 02-14-2019 08:50 PM

Hearts of Space

PHC1 02-14-2019 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multiham (Post 953365)
WMMR Philadelphia. Been a rock station since 1968. Pierre Robert is my all time favorite DJ. Been at the station since 1981. Still gets interviews with all the big rockers coming to Philly. Still has part of his daily 4 hour show dedicated to playing vinyl.

Used to listen to WMMR for a few decades, mostly commuting. :yes: With the satellite radios in cars I typically don't listen to FM anymore...

For The Love of Music 02-14-2019 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 953300)
WBCN - “The Rock of Boston,” “Radio Free Boston”

Brings back memories...then out here was KISW

Antonmb 02-15-2019 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by For The Love of Music (Post 953394)
Brings back memories...then out here was KISW

Ah yes, that was where Bob Rivers and Spike were, right?

GaryProtein 02-15-2019 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleeds (Post 953289)
Radio sure isn't what it once was - at least in the US - but there was a time when it was so entertaining that many of us were willing to put big $$$$ into buying a really good tuner.

So what was your favorite radio station that may have spurred that purchase?

I can probably whittle it down to two: WNCN and WNEW-FM, both in New York. Although one was classical and the other a rock station, they had more in common (back in the '70s and '80s) than might have been immediately obvious. They both had wide and deep playlists. They both had very clean, clear signals with minimal processing. (Of course, as a rocker, WNEW had more processing than WNCN. But by rock standards, NEW's sound was relatively unspoiled. It even used Dolby FM for a while.) And they both had personalities that were obviously familiar with the music, and spoke to the audience with a friendly, one-on-one style that's almost gone from radio today.

I still have and enjoy my McIntosh MR-80, but sometimes I wonder if I'd be willing to part with that much coin for a tuner if the only choices were today's offerings.

Please tell us about your favorite station, even if it's from the past.

YES! Let's hear it for WNCN. Back then for pop I was a WABC-FM/WPLJ fan.

I was surprised to hear another person mentioning WNCN 104.3FM. I was so angry when WNCN-FM 104.3 went off the air in the fall of 1974 because that left only WQXR (and WNYC a minor player) which played more romantic music and I preferred the classical and baroque of WNCN.To make matters worse, when WNCN went off the air, WQXR started playing shorter pieces and lots of jingle jangle commercials which I hated. I wrote Bob Sherman who was the program director at the time and station manager later a very firm letter telling of my extreme displeasure with their changes in commercials and flippant nature of Duncan Purney who I couldn't stand. Bob Sherman wrote back and said he agreed with me about Duncan Purney but he couldn't do anything about it because Duncan was there longer than he was. The rotten commercial persisted. I really enjoyed listening to Harry Fleetwood overnight. He had the perfect radio voice and played great music.

2fastdriving 02-15-2019 01:43 AM

WSRD in Youngstown Ohio. I'm sure you never heard of it!

clpetersen 02-15-2019 11:15 AM

Mix of old/new. We lived in SF Bay area, moved to Boston, and have a summer spot in NJ. So:

KFOG - San Fransisco
WERS - Boston - student run. Check it out. Online too.
WQXR - New York. Outstanding classical.

djwhog 02-15-2019 11:49 AM

OK back in the day in Los Angles it was all about KMET 94.7 on the dial, especially on the nights with the master of the best Jim Ladd!

Does not get any better, serious rock man, knowledge to the nth degree. great times! :)

oddeophile 02-15-2019 01:31 PM

Welcome to the ol’ Mighty Met club.

Poncha 02-15-2019 05:30 PM

Wolfman Jack on XERB - heard all over the Midwest during the 60s