AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Tuners (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Favorite radio station of all time? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45132)

W9TR 02-14-2019 05:11 PM

Beaker Street on KAAY out of Little Rock in 1967. Changed my life.

Route 66 02-14-2019 05:22 PM

Well, a couple of you good folks beat me to it but my favorite by far was The Might Met, KMET 94.7 FM in LA.

I liked that KMET had a true 'underground' feel to it and B. Mitchell Reed had the best and coolest radio voice of any DJ I've ever heard.

docdownload 02-14-2019 05:41 PM

WNEW NY with such DJ's as Scott Mooney Jonathans Swartz Dick Neer Alison Steel the Night Bird Zachary and Roscoe Not sure about any of the spelling. This was in the 60's They had no play lists, they could play for 20min without a commercial. If you anybody of greatness and performing at the Garden, you were on the Scott Mooney Show
Some of these DL's are now hosting on Sirius Radio's Classic Vinyl from the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

GSOphile 02-14-2019 06:11 PM

WBT 1110 AM Charlotte. Loved their late night jazz in the late 50s and 60s. It was a 50,000 watt clear channel station at the time, started 1922. I believe it was the third radio station in the country. When I drove to the west coast for business school I listened to it all the way into New Mexico before it became unlistenable.

Macuser 02-14-2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 953300)
WBCN - “The Rock of Boston,” “Radio Free Boston”

Now that's going back a few years:yes: BCN was definitely one of my favorites to out of the many good ones we had to choose from in that time period.

radio times 02-14-2019 06:18 PM

Talking radio huh? Now your in my province. BBC Radio 1 and Capital radio when I was a kid, both top twenty/40 of the current then hit parade, later a charming pirate station called Galaxy fm which played pre and a bit of Roots reggae on the weekends with totally amateur DJ's, and my current fave is BBC Radio 6, which does everything but the current top 20/40 and also covers current World music, Radio 3 when I'm in the mood for classical and Jazz on Sat afternoon/midnight, and Radio 1X when I want to dip in to dem urban yout' and has the occasional reggae hour and a jolly powerful transmitter. Radio 4 has some good plays and foreign correspondent type stuff and comedy, and Radio 4X which has good old/newish comedy/plays. Football and cricket are catered for as well on two or three other stations. Heavy rock/metal as well. We don't really have a great Jazz station; Jazz FM is a bit bland, but you can get everything else; 60's/70's /80's /90's and 00's stations too. On DAB that is, I can't get FM reception in London. We take radio very seriously indeed in blighty. We rarely get doo wop which is a shame. I miss the Flamingo's etc.

Audiophilehi 02-14-2019 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docdownload (Post 953339)
WNEW NY with such DJ's as Scott Mooney Jonathans Swartz Dick Neer Alison Steel the Night Bird Zachary and Roscoe Not sure about any of the spelling. This was in the 60's They had no play lists, they could play for 20min without a commercial. If you anybody of greatness and performing at the Garden, you were on the Scott Mooney Show
Some of these DL's are now hosting on Sirius Radio's Classic Vinyl from the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

+1.

This was radio at its best.

SX-626 02-14-2019 07:00 PM

Current is WXRT Chicago but in the old days it was KFMH, Muscatine IA

crwilli 02-14-2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docdownload (Post 953339)

+1

multiham 02-14-2019 07:53 PM

WMMR Philadelphia. Been a rock station since 1968. Pierre Robert is my all time favorite DJ. Been at the station since 1981. Still gets interviews with all the big rockers coming to Philly. Still has part of his daily 4 hour show dedicated to playing vinyl.