AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Power Conditioners (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Question about PS Audio P10 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38480)

gadawg 01-30-2017 08:43 PM

Question about PS Audio P10

I think I'm going to add a PS Audio P10 to my setup ... questions is can one of those power my pair of MC-601's and low voltage equipment? It will be plugged into a dedicated 20A circuit. Or ... will I need 2 P10's to accommodate the MC-601's.

Thanks

George

tutomac 01-30-2017 09:04 PM

Remember that the max current handling that is quoted for the unit is only if you ran your amps at full. now, a pair of 601 running at 600+ watts has to be unbearable IMO.

I have three MC601 and one MC205 all connected to one P10.

I use two P5's where I plug all of my sources/front end components.

Right now I am watching basketball at 6.0W (wife is cooking and the hood is on:() and the load registers 27% on the P10:thumbsup:

GO FOR IT!:music:

Masterlu 01-30-2017 09:07 PM

George... one P10 will be fine in your setup.

antipop 01-31-2017 08:10 AM

Don't underestimate how much they can handle. My whole system (and HT system) are plugged into one P5 and I've barely broke the 70% load at any one time.

gadawg 02-03-2017 12:53 AM

Perfect ... finishing the build on our new house and should be in by mid next month so I know what the next upgrade is! :-)

Thanks guys for the help!

SuperD 02-03-2017 01:10 PM

I have a P10(Thanks Ivan) and 601's. I plug the amps directly into the wall because I felt they were more dynamic that way. Not a knock on the P10 but I believe most amps will benefit going straight into the wall. My opinion of course.

tutomac 02-03-2017 01:15 PM

SuperDave, do you have whole-house protection, as in your fuse box, or the like? Just wonder if you are worry about surges at all...

IM3CPO 02-03-2017 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperDave (Post 830172)
I have a P10(Thanks Ivan) and 601's. I plug the amps directly into the wall because I felt they were more dynamic that way. Not a knock on the P10 but I believe most amps will benefit going straight into the wall. My opinion of course.

Have you tried plugging the 601's into the P10 and listening to see if you could tell a difference?

FWIW: I used to run all my equipment (including amps) through passive line conditioners. They were all supposedly rated to handle amps, werent supposed to limits current, etc. I did this for years then one day decided to plug my amps directly into the wall and I was blown away with how much better my system sounded! I went on a quest to find something that could supply powder without taking dynamics away and I found two items. One is the original line of PurePower products, and the other is the P10. I have dedicated circuits now as well as whole home surge protection and I STILL have everything hooked up to PurePower 2000's and P10's..

SuperD 02-03-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tutomac (Post 830174)
SuperDave, do you have whole-house protection, as in your fuse box, or the like? Just wonder if you are worry about surges at all...

Yes I do! In Houston, thunderstorms are a regular occurrence and I'm always paying attention to the weather. When things look bad, I unplug everything. I can understand plugging everything into the P10 though. Not all power is equal IMO and I believe I have pretty clean power; new transformer, new breaker box, and dedicated lines that provide better sound to my ears going straight in. Maybe if I lived downtown and had to share power in high-rise, putting the 601's into the P10 could yield greater benefits than going into the wall. Too many variables at play. I just preferred the sound going direct.

Dave

tutomac 02-03-2017 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperDave (Post 830182)
Yes I do! In Houston, thunderstorms are a regular occurrence and I'm always paying attention to the weather. When things look bad, I unplug everything. I can understand plugging everything into the P10 though. Not all power is equal IMO and I believe I have pretty clean power; new transformer, new breaker box, and dedicated lines that provide better sound to my ears going straight in. Maybe if I lived downtown and had to share power in high-rise, putting the 601's into the P10 could yield greater benefits than going into the wall. Too many variables at play. I just preferred the sound going direct.

Dave

Gotcha! It makes sense...