AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

Simonatsea 05-30-2014 02:13 AM

Just fine.... Might put my urge to splurge on 5992's on the shelf for a while. Truth is the gold lion 6v6's sound good but currently nothing sounds as "right" to me as the penta KT 88 with the full music 6sl7 driver and a $12 sovtek 5y3.

Trying to get onboard with the 6V6 sound everyone seems to love so much. Guess its either Popes, RCA's or Mazda's....
Thanks for the posts, enjoyed the comparisons. Since you are running Zu's as well I figure its a pretty good reference.

Simonatsea 06-01-2014 06:42 PM

I just scored a pair of 1944 RCA JAN CRC 6V6GT/G VT-107-A They are used but matched and were $45 for the pair. Hopefully this will give me the vintage 6v6 bug. So far the gold lions haven't had me wowed.
I might look at shelling out for some of the NOS 6v6 if all goes well.

Aerocool, are these the same RCA's you are running? Date codes are H1E and H3E

Looking forward to a little more rolling fun!

Aercool 06-02-2014 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonatsea (Post 611742)
I just scored a pair of 1944 RCA JAN CRC 6V6GT/G VT-107-A They are used but matched and were $45 for the pair. Hopefully this will give me the vintage 6v6 bug. So far the gold lions haven't had me wowed.
I might look at shelling out for some of the NOS 6v6 if all goes well.

Aerocool, are these the same RCA's you are running? Date codes are H1E and H3E

Sounds like the same thing. The old RCA logo with the lightning bolt. Smoked glass with the clear circle on top. One of my date codes is partially visible, but it's something like 6BE. The other has rubbed off.

Interested to hear your impressions!

(Which Zu's are you running again?)

pstrisik 06-02-2014 02:33 PM

I'm envious of all the tube rolling gone on round here!

But... I just got my Omega speakers Friday and am breaking them in, tweaking position, etc. I hope to be rolling my KT150 this weekend with 6550, Ei (type III, I think) KT90, Winged C EL34 and Pope 6V6 to try with their respective proper rectifiers.

I put the KT150 back in service with the Omegas and it is clearly a better match for those speakers than the CJ Premier 11A. I have a thread on the Omega forum, but unfortunately cannot link to it due to the rules here.

Simonatsea 06-02-2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aercool (Post 611897)
Sounds like the same thing. The old RCA logo with the lightning bolt. Smoked glass with the clear circle on top. One of my date codes is partially visible, but it's something like 6BE. The other has rubbed off. Interested to hear your impressions! (Which Zu's are you running again?)

I am running soul superfly mk1b in honey walnut. I previously had/sold Omen bookshelf speakers. Loving the match so far, however I do find the kt 88's really start to bring out the best in the Zu's, they seem like a little more drive to really convey texture. Listen to all genre of music but, the black keys brothers album with the penta kt88's and a 5y3 in my 6v6 amp made my jaw drop.

Looking forward to see what the romance with the ww2 RCA 6v6gt is all about.

Simonatsea 06-02-2014 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 611973)
I'm envious of all the tube rolling gone on round here! But... I just got my Omega speakers Friday and am breaking them in, tweaking position, etc. I hope to be rolling my KT150 this weekend with 6550, Ei (type III, I think) KT90, Winged C EL34 and Pope 6V6 to try with their respective proper rectifiers. I put the KT150 back in service with the Omegas and it is clearly a better match for those speakers than the CJ Premier 11A. I have a thread on the Omega forum, but unfortunately cannot link to it due to the rules here.

Look forward to hearing impressions, curious what you conclude on the winged c el34, I might have to give them another run for their money. Love the flexibility of these amps!

Aercool 06-03-2014 12:32 AM

Can anyone explain to a non-Electrical Engineer why some amps require biasing yet others like the Fire Bottle don't. Is biasing something that's necessary in a push-pull amp, and single-ended don't need it? Just wondering. Thanks!

pstrisik 06-03-2014 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aercool (Post 612161)
Can anyone explain to a non-Electrical Engineer why some amps require biasing yet others like the Fire Bottle don't. Is biasing something that's necessary in a push-pull amp, and single-ended don't need it? Just wondering. Thanks!

Good question. I've wondered that myself. :scratch2:

Formerly YB-2 06-03-2014 07:30 PM

Not that. I have to set the bias in my CAD-672SE MkII SET amps.
It is simply a matter of design. For instance, McIntosh tube amps, all of which are PP, do not require the user to set the bias. In fact, there is no provision for doing so.

BeerCan 06-03-2014 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aercool (Post 612161)

I am pretty sure these are cathode bias amps
Cathode bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I see most of you guys are having a great time with the 6v6 tubes. Honestly I have yet to find something that unseats the 6bg6ga I have in mine. I am going to try some kt88's soon and I am on the lookout for some 6550's that might work.